* cygwin/X: can't start X server...
@ 2012-07-13 16:17 ping
From: ping @ 2012-07-13 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

guys:

please let me know if this is the off-topic for cygwin list.

originally right after I installed cygwin, I had impression (I could
remember wrong)
I ever be able to start x server and run the rxvt.

today I just couldn't get it work.

I tried from windows "start"->"all program"->...
nothing happen.

and from CLI:

[ping@ping-new-laptop ~]$ startxwin.exe

startxwin: unable to run server "X": No such file or directory
Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/bin is in your path and
that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
for your display.  Possible server names include:

     XWin        X Server for the Cygwin environment on Microsoft Windows

startxwin: giving up
startxwin: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
startxwin: server error

[ping@ping-new-laptop ~]$ cygcheck XWin
cygcheck: could not find 'XWin

the only thing I did could be that I just installed cygwinport, but I don't
think that will cause any issues to my cygwin, cygwin/X apps...

please advice how to troubleshoot this kind of issue.

thanks.

regards
ping

* Re: cygwin/X: can't start X server...
@ 2012-07-13 20:25 ` ping
From: ping @ 2012-07-13 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 07/13/2012 12:16 PM, ping wrote:
> guys:
>
> please let me know if this is the off-topic for cygwin list.
>
> originally right after I installed cygwin, I had impression (I could
> remember wrong)
> I ever be able to start x server and run the rxvt.
>
> today I just couldn't get it work.
>
> I tried from windows "start"->"all program"->...
> nothing happen.
>
> and from CLI:
>
> [ping@ping-new-laptop ~]$ startxwin.exe
>
> startxwin: unable to run server "X": No such file or directory
> Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/bin is in your path and
> that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
> for your display.  Possible server names include:
>
>      XWin        X Server for the Cygwin environment on Microsoft Windows
>
> startxwin: giving up
> startxwin: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
> startxwin: server error
>

> [ping@ping-new-laptop ~]$ cygcheck XWin
> cygcheck: could not find 'XWin
>
> the only thing I did could be that I just installed cygwinport, but I don't
> think that will cause any issues to my cygwin, cygwin/X apps...
>
> please advice how to troubleshoot this kind of issue.
>
> thanks.
>
> regards
> ping

problem got resolved by re-install X11 module.
I now doubt cygwin-port installation caused the issue here.