* Nedit bugs: paste and server crash
@ 2013-06-06 16:42 mathog
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: mathog @ 2013-06-06 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi,

I am using Cygwin/X Xserver with nedit from a remote client.  Most of
the time
it works but there are 3 bugs that have been getting on my nerves
enough so that
I now want to track them down.  Is there a prepackaged debug version of
the X11 server
that I can load (for the 3rd problem below)?  I don't want to have to
assemble a
complete build environment for cygwin just for this one problem?

These are the three problems with this configuration:

1.  Cut from a windows application, paste into a nedit window. Works
99.8% of the
time - until it doesn't.  This one is likely going to be horrible to
figure out since
it only shows up intermittently. Once it goes bad it locks up nedit
(does not respond to mouse
or keyboard input) for seconds to minutes, and then it "comes alive"
again.  Once this
happens subsequent pastes also tend to lock.  The only way to
completely clear this
situation seems to be to shut down nedit and X11, then restart X11 and
then nedit.  Very inconvenient.
This message appears on the terminal that started nedit:

XmClipboardInquireLength() failed: clipboard locked.

I have never seen a similar paste error when using Nedit on the console
of remote workstation.  Due
to the length of time it takes to appear, that may be just a
statistical effect, since
I never work there for 4 hours at a time, as I do normally with Cygwin
X11 and the remote
nedit.  It is my impression that one factor that helps to trigger this
bug is when the
"cut" paste remains highlighted in the original windows application -
but it is inconvenient
to do "select text", "cut", "deselect text"  then "paste", as the 3rd
step is not
normally required.

2.  In long editing sessions (hours) draw errors tend to accumulate in
nedit.
For instance, the "save as" dialog will come up with none of the
buttons (like save!)
visible.  Other times divots will appear on parts of the screen outside
of the text
editing region, and/or parts of the pull down menu list will disappear.
Possibly
related to the preceding bug since, again, it only shows up
intermittently and after
long periods.

3.  The X11 server will crash, taking all sessions from various
machines,
with nedit or not, with it.  I do not recall the log file containing
anything
useful, for instance, a backtrace from the point of the crash.

Details:

Cygwin/X Xserver package version 1.11.1-1 built 2011-10-05

Nedit from Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.  That nedit package is:

1:5.6~cvs20081118-7

and ldd shows that it is linked ot /usr/lib/libXm.so.2 which is
the one from lesstif2 (1:0.95.2-1), even though libmotif4
(2.3.3-5ubuntu) is
installed (so libXm.so.4 is present as well).

Connection is over ssh using putty.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog@caltech.edu

* Re: Nedit bugs: paste and server crash
@ 2013-06-06 17:27 ` mathog
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: mathog @ 2013-06-06 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 06-Jun-2013 09:41, mathog wrote:

> 3.  The X11 server will crash, taking all sessions from various
> machines,
> with nedit or not, with it.  I do not recall the log file containing
> anything
> useful, for instance, a backtrace from the point of the crash.

Here is the log file from such a crash.  There is nothing in it that I
find useful, perhaps
it means something to one of you:

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.11.1.0
OS: Windows XP Service Pack 3 [Windows NT 5.1 build 2600] (Win32)
Package: version 1.11.1-1 built 2011-10-05

XWin was started with the following command line:

Xwin :0 -multiwindow

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeScreenDefaults - primary monitor w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - native DPI x 96 y 96
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/SAF00:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for
inet6
_XSERVTransmkdir: Mode of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to 1777
_XSERVTransmkdir: this may cause subsequent errors
[    75.937] (II) xorg.conf is not supported
[    75.937] (II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html
for more information
[    75.937] LoadPreferences: /home/david/.XWinrc not found
[    75.937] LoadPreferences: /etc/X11/system.XWinrc not found
[    75.937] LoadPreferences: See "man XWinrc" to customize the XWin
menu.
[    75.937] LoadPreferences: Loading built-in default
[    75.953] winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed, allowing
ShadowDD
[    75.953] winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT, allowing PrimaryDD
[    75.953] winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed,
allowing ShadowDDNL
[    75.953] winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines
0000001f
[    75.953] winTaskbarInit - Could not get SHGetPropertyStoreForWindow
address
[    75.968] winSetEngine - Multi Window or Rootless => ShadowGDI
[    75.968] winScreenInit - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per
pixel
[    75.984] winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 1280
height: 1024 depth: 32
[    75.984] winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
[    75.984] winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp 32
[    76.031] winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
[    76.031] Screen 0 added at virtual desktop coordinate (0,0).
[    76.046] winInitMultiWindowWM - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
[    76.140] MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
[    76.218] XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization
disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
[    77.328] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
[    77.328] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
[    77.609] [dix] Could not init font path element
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
[    77.609] [dix] Could not init font path element
/usr/share/fonts/OTF/, removing from list!
[    81.750] winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 640 512
[    81.750] (--) 5 mouse buttons found
[    81.750] (--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
[    81.750] (--) Windows keyboard layout: "00000409" (00000409) "US",
type 4
[    81.750] (--) Found matching XKB configuration "English (USA)"
[    81.750] (--) Model = "pc105" Layout = "us" Variant = "none"
Options = "none"
[    81.750] Rules = "base" Model = "pc105" Layout = "us" Variant =
"none" Options = "none"
[    81.750] winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock()
[    81.750] winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
[    81.750] winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
[    81.750] winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
[    81.750] winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
[    81.750] winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
[    81.781] winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
[    81.781] winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=:0.0
[    81.781] winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
[    81.812] winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and
successfully opened the display.
[    81.812] winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and
successfully opened the display.
[    81.828] winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and
successfully opened the display.
[   506.921] winAboutDlgProc - WM_CLOSE
[  1040.625] winAboutDlgProc - WM_COMMAND - IDOK or IDCANCEL
[  5247.750] Segmentation fault at address 0x1
[  5247.750]
Fatal server error:
[  5247.750] Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
[  5247.750]
[  5247.750] Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

Regarding the 1777 warning about /tmp/.X11-unix, that file (as seen in
Mingw) has
protection flags 755 and is owned by the same program running the X11
server and
putty.  (Unclear to me what 1777 means on Windows XP + Cygwin, since
Windows does not
have the 1000 protection bit like Unix does.)

@ 2013-06-06 21:40 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin-X)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin-X) @ 2013-06-06 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 6/6/2013 12:41 PM, mathog wrote:
> Details:
>
> Cygwin/X Xserver package version 1.11.1-1 built 2011-10-05

This version is notably old.  I might suggest that you update to the
latest and retest before spending much time looking into the code for the
problem.  You may luck out. :-)

--
Larry

* Re: Nedit bugs: paste and server crash
@ 2013-06-07 14:41 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2013-06-07 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: mathog

On 06/06/2013 17:41, mathog wrote:
> I am using Cygwin/X Xserver with nedit from a remote client.  Most of the time
> it works but there are 3 bugs that have been getting on my nerves enough so that
> I now want to track them down.  Is there a prepackaged debug version of the
> X11 server
> that I can load (for the 3rd problem below)?  I don't want to have to assemble a
> complete build environment for cygwin just for this one problem?

The xorg-server-debuginfo package contains detached symbols and source code
which should enable you to debug the X server.

If you can still reproduce your crash with the current version of X server,
then please post a backtrace.

> Cygwin/X Xserver package version 1.11.1-1 built 2011-10-05

This is quite old, and I have definitely fixed some clipboard related bugs
since then.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Nedit bugs: paste and server crash
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-06-11 15:29 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2013-06-11 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: mathog

On 10/06/2013 20:46, mathog wrote:
> I didn't want to send this to the list because there is an attachment.

Please don't send mail to me, send it to the list.

You can always upload a large attachment somewhere and include a link in your
mail.

On 06/06/2013 17:41, mathog wrote:
> 2.  In long editing sessions (hours) draw errors tend to accumulate in nedit.
> For instance, the "save as" dialog will come up with none of the buttons (like
> save!)
> visible.  Other times divots will appear on parts of the screen outside of the
> text
> editing region, and/or parts of the pull down menu list will disappear. Possibly
> related to the preceding bug since, again, it only shows up intermittently and
> after
> long periods.

> Cygwin/X Xserver package version 1.11.1-1 built 2011-10-05
>
> Nedit from Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.  That nedit package is:
>
> 1:5.6~cvs20081118-7
>
> and ldd shows that it is linked ot /usr/lib/libXm.so.2 which is
> the one from lesstif2 (1:0.95.2-1), even though libmotif4 (2.3.3-5ubuntu) is
> installed (so libXm.so.4 is present as well).

These redraw bugs are possibly in lesstif or nedit, if that is the only
application you see this problem with.  You might find that starting the
Xserver with the +bs option helps in case like this.

--

@ 2013-06-06 18:14 mathog
From: mathog @ 2013-06-06 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

[Apologies if this is a duplicate post.  The first one did not come
back through the mailing
list, even though a reply to it did.]