* Can't resize windows in Cygwin/X 1.12.1
@ 2013-07-12 21:40 STEVEN SITTSER
From: STEVEN SITTSER @ 2013-07-12 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Until recently I was using Cygwin/X under Cygwin 1.5.18 on Windows XP.  The windows displayed by our in-house X applications had resize borders - I could resize the windows by grabbing an edge.

Now, I am using Cygwin/X 1.12.1 under Cygwin 1.7.14 on Windows XP.  Now, the windows displayed by the same applications have a fixed size - I can't resize them by grabbing the edges.  (This is true both when I run the exact same executables under both Cygwin versions, and when I build the applications separately under each Cygwin version.)

I've been hoping that there is some sort of configuration setting that controls this behavior, but with many hours of digging through man pages, web pages, and miscellaneous documentation, I have been unable to come up with anything.  I was thinking maybe something that would go in .Xdefaults, or a command line parameter for startwxin, etc.

I would like to be able to restore the window behavior to what it was in Cygwin 1.5.18 without making changes to the source code of our applications.  However, if my symptoms imply that we've got something coded wrong in our applications, then any advice on fixing that would be appreciated.  I don't do any XWindows programming myself (and I'm only just barely familiar with XWindows in general), but I can pass any information on to those who do.

As a test I ran xclock on an old Sun system via PuTTY under both Cygwin versions.  On both the window was resizable.  So, resizable windows do work in that case, at least.

I am (I believe) using the default XWindows setup from my Cygwin installation - that is, the XWindows server is being started by a shortcut in the Windows "Startup" folder with a target of "C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe"

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

               - Steven Sittser

* Re: Can't resize windows in Cygwin/X 1.12.1
@ 2013-07-12 22:01 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin-X)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin-X) @ 2013-07-12 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 7/12/2013 5:40 PM, STEVEN SITTSER wrote:
> Until recently I was using Cygwin/X under Cygwin 1.5.18 on Windows XP.
> The windows displayed by our in-house X applications had resize borders -
> I could resize the windows by grabbing an edge.
>
> Now, I am using Cygwin/X 1.12.1 under Cygwin 1.7.14 on Windows XP.  Now,
> the windows displayed by the same applications have a fixed size - I
> can't resize them by grabbing the edges.  (This is true both when I run
> the exact same executables under both Cygwin versions, and when I build
> the applications separately under each Cygwin version.)

I'd recommend updating to the current versions for the packages you're
using as a first step.  You're at least a year out-of-date with the
latest versions you have.  Cygwin is now at version 1.7.20-1 and
the xorg-server package is currently at version 1.14.2-1

--
Larry

* Re: Can't resize windows in Cygwin/X 1.12.1
@ 2013-07-13 13:22 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2013-07-13 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: ssier

On 12/07/2013 22:40, STEVEN SITTSER wrote:
> Until recently I was using Cygwin/X under Cygwin 1.5.18 on Windows XP.  The
> windows displayed by our in-house X applications had resize borders - I
> could resize the windows by grabbing an edge.
>
> Now, I am using Cygwin/X 1.12.1 under Cygwin 1.7.14 on Windows XP.  Now,
> the windows displayed by the same applications have a fixed size - I can't
> resize them by grabbing the edges.  (This is true both when I run the exact
> same executables under both Cygwin versions, and when I build the
> applications separately under each Cygwin version.)
>
> I've been hoping that there is some sort of configuration setting that
> controls this behavior, but with many hours of digging through man pages,
> web pages, and miscellaneous documentation, I have been unable to come up
> with anything.  I was thinking maybe something that would go in .Xdefaults,
> or a command line parameter for startwxin, etc.

The .XWinrc file [1] can be used to do some overriding of window styles, but
it seems that it doesn't allow a sizing frame to be added.  Perhaps that's
something I need to look at adding.

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man5/XWinrc.5.html

> I would like to be able to restore the window behavior to what it was in
> Cygwin 1.5.18 without making changes to the source code of our
> applications.  However, if my symptoms imply that we've got something coded
> wrong in our applications, then any advice on fixing that would be
> appreciated.  I don't do any XWindows programming myself (and I'm only just
> barely familiar with XWindows in general), but I can pass any information
> on to those who do.

If using the latest X server doesn't resolve your problem, then possibly this
is a bug with the mapping of the X windows decoration hints into a native
Windows window style.

Can you install 'xprop' (using cygwin setup), and show the output you get from
running that, then clicking on the window which doesn't get a resize frame.

> As a test I ran xclock on an old Sun system via PuTTY under both Cygwin
> versions.  On both the window was resizable.  So, resizable windows do work
> in that case, at least.
>
> I am (I believe) using the default XWindows setup from my Cygwin
> installation - that is, the XWindows server is being started by a shortcut
> in the Windows "Startup" folder with a target of "C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe
> /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe"
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer