* Re: unable to maximize gtk window
@ 2013-09-01 21:01 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2013-09-01 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XCygwin; +Cc: simonzack

Simon wrote:
> The window fails to maximize on startup

Perhaps, there is a similar discussion for GTK builds of Emacs trunk on
Cygwin:

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2013-08/msg00953.html

Ciao,
  Angelo.

* Re: unable to maximize gtk window
@ 2013-09-22 18:22           ` Simon
From: Simon @ 2013-09-22 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 17/09/2013 1:19 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 11/09/2013 19:05, Simon wrote:

>>> 'terminator -m' works correctly for me with that snapshot.
>>>
>> It does for me too, but if I start terminator with no command line arguments
>> (directly after I start x server), then maximize the window using the windows
>> button, or by double clicking the title bar, I get a window that's not fully
>> maximized.
> This works for me, but this sounds like a different problem to the one you
> first reported.
>
> There is a difference between a window asking to maximize itself (via the
> appearance hint that gtk_window_maximize() sets), and using the window manager
> to maximize using the frame controls (title bar double click or maximize button)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by 'not fully maximized', this seems different to
> 'not maximized'
>
> Perhaps the window may not get fully maximized as it's frame dimensions are
> (should be?) constrained to ensure that they are an integer multiple of the
> character cell size?

Yes indeed it is a different problem, I've dug deeper and found the
cause, I've attached a test-case.
The problem is that gtk's window-state-event signals aren't being fired
when a window maximizes or minimizes.
The correct behavior in the test-case, is that 'test' will be printed
twice, once on startup, once when the user maximizes the window, and
once when the user minimizes the window.

Simon

[-- Attachment #2: windowStateEvent.c --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 732 bytes --]

#include <gtk/gtk.h>

gboolean on_window_state_event(GtkWidget *widget, GdkEventWindowState *event, gpointer user_data){
	puts("test");
	return TRUE;
}

int main( int argc, char *argv[]){
	GtkWidget *window;

	gtk_init(&argc, &argv);

	window = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
	gtk_window_set_title(GTK_WINDOW(window), "GtkButton");
	gtk_window_set_default_size(GTK_WINDOW(window), 230, 150);
	gtk_window_set_position(GTK_WINDOW(window), GTK_WIN_POS_CENTER);

	g_signal_connect(G_OBJECT(window), "destroy", G_CALLBACK(gtk_main_quit), NULL);

	g_signal_connect(
		G_OBJECT(window),
		"window-state-event",
		G_CALLBACK(on_window_state_event),
		(gpointer)NULL
	);

	gtk_widget_show_all(window);

	gtk_main();

	return 0;

* Re: unable to maximize gtk window
@ 2013-09-16 15:20         ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2013-09-16 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: simonzack

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: unable to maximize gtk window
@ 2013-09-11 18:05       ` Simon
From: Simon @ 2013-09-11 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2013-09-11 16:53     ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2013-09-11 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: simonzack

@ 2013-09-09 14:43   ` Simon
From: Simon @ 2013-09-09 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2013-09-09 14:29 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2013-09-09 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: simonzack

On 01/09/2013 16:13, Simon wrote:
> $ gcc -o simple simple.c `pkg-config --libs --cflags gtk+-2.0`
> $ ./simple.exe
>
> The window fails to maximize on startup
> I've found this out when using gnome terminator on cygwin, which fails to
> maximize on startup, and strangely is only able to maximize when opening up a
> new tab

Thanks for reporting this problem and the testcase.

I've added a patch improves the window hint conversion in multiwindow mode so
that the hint which gtk_window_maximize() sets is now recognized as maximizing
the window.

I've uploaded a snapshot at [1]. Perhaps you could try that and see if it
improves things for you?

(This is a x86 binary. if you need an x64 binary, please let me know and I'll
generate one)

> On 01/09/2013 22:00, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>> Perhaps, there is a similar discussion for GTK builds of Emacs trunk on Cygwin:
>>
>>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2013-08/msg00953.html

This might be responsible for some of the problems listed there, but I think
there is still something not quite right about the way a maximized emacs
window is treated, so more work is needed.

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20130909-git-7cebbec4b67fd4d8.exe.bz2

--

@ 2013-09-01 15:13 Simon
From: Simon @ 2013-09-01 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree