* Using run.exe to start XWin with different display number
@ 2013-10-17 13:10 Will Cladek
From: Will Cladek @ 2013-10-17 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

This is probably a dumb question with a simple solution, but I'm trying to start multiple XWin servers on a Win8 box with each having a different display number.  The default Windows shortcut to start the X server is:

C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe

When I open a regular cygwin terminal, I can run the following command

bash.exe -l -c "/usr/bin/startxwin.exe -- :1"

and get an X server listening on display :1 (or whatever number I put there).

However, when I alter the Windows shortcut to the following, or run the following command from a Windows command prompt

C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "/usr/bin/startxwin.exe -- :1"

it gives me an X server always with display :0.

Why would it be ignoring the -- :1 part when starting with run.exe?  Is there something I need to change about that command to get it to work from Windows command prompt/a shortcut?

Thanks,

Will

* Re: Using run.exe to start XWin with different display number
@ 2013-10-17 21:33 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2013-10-17 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 10/17/2013 9:10 AM, Will Cladek wrote:
> However, when I alter the Windows shortcut to the following, or run the
> following command from a Windows command prompt
>
> C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "/usr/bin/startxwin.exe
> -- :1"
>
> it gives me an X server always with display :0.
>
> Why would it be ignoring the -- :1 part when starting with run.exe?  Is
> there something I need to change about that command to get it to work
> from Windows command prompt/a shortcut?

Looks like it is the new parsing code.  This:

C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --run-notty --run-debug=2 /usr/bin/bash.exe -l
-c "/usr/bin/startxwin.exe -- :1"

reports that run is trying to execute the following command line:

C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe -- :1

That is, the quotes are dropped.  For now, try escaping them:

--
Chuck