* Clipboard integration does not work with XDMCP
@ 2014-02-21 16:51 Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2014-02-21 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello,
	 I need to connect from my PC to a Linux machine that runs KDE and I
use the following command:

	XWin -from MY_PC_IP_ADDR -terminate -query LINUX_MACHINE_IP_ADDR

It works well but the clipboard integration that fails.

Notice that:
	1) XWin alone (i.e. no XDMCP, i.e. local) works nicely with my Windows
clipboard
	2) Xming works (almost) fine with XDMCP + clipboard (with the same
Linux machine)

I gave a look at the XWin log in two cases:
	A) XWin alone
	B) XWin + XDMCP

And the only differences I've found (apart from the different command
line arguments) is the following lines that were at the end of the log
of the XDMCP invokation:

winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the
display.
winClipboardIOErrorHandler!
winClipboardProc - setjmp returned for IO Error Handler.
winClipboardProc - trying to restart clipboard thread
winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the
display.
winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped WM_QUIT
message, exiting main loop.
winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.

I've searched around (google) for this problem but I found almost
nothing (and most of that was old stuff).

The only relevant suggestion was a post on this same mailing list that
suggested to create the file /etc/X0.hosts and put "localhost" inside it.
This doesn't work for me.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
	Danilo Turina

--
DANILO TURINA
Sesa S.p.A.

3 mesi 20 giorni 8 ore 29 minuti 52 secondi

* Re: Clipboard integration does not work with XDMCP
@ 2014-02-22 13:36 ` Jon TURNEY
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2014-02-22 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: danilo.turina

On 21/02/2014 16:51, Danilo Turina wrote:
> Hello,
>      I need to connect from my PC to a Linux machine that runs KDE and I use
> the following command:
>
>     XWin -from MY_PC_IP_ADDR -terminate -query LINUX_MACHINE_IP_ADDR
>
> It works well but the clipboard integration that fails.
>
> Notice that:
>     1) XWin alone (i.e. no XDMCP, i.e. local) works nicely with my Windows
> clipboard
>     2) Xming works (almost) fine with XDMCP + clipboard (with the same Linux
> machine)
>
> I gave a look at the XWin log in two cases:
>     A) XWin alone
>     B) XWin + XDMCP
>
> And the only differences I've found (apart from the different command line
> arguments) is the following lines that were at the end of the log of the XDMCP
> invokation:
>
> winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
> winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
> winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
> winClipboardIOErrorHandler!
> winClipboardProc - setjmp returned for IO Error Handler.
> winClipboardProc - trying to restart clipboard thread
> winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
> winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
> winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped WM_QUIT
> message, exiting main loop.
> winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.

Thanks for reporting this problem, and the clear reproduction steps.

The issue here is that the XDMCP login dialog kills all other X clients
(including the clipboard integration client) for security.  The clipboard
integration client is supposed to restart and reconnect as necessary, but it
seems this has been broken for a while.

I've has a go at fixing this and uploaded a snapshot at [1].  Perhaps you
could try that and see if it improves things for you?

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20140222-git-c14d82e878fc884d.exe.bz2

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Clipboard integration does not work with XDMCP
@ 2014-02-23  2:54   ` Claude Sylvain
From: Claude Sylvain @ 2014-02-23  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 02/22/2014 08:36 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:

 > Thanks for reporting this problem, and the clear reproduction steps.
 >
 > The issue here is that the XDMCP login dialog kills all other X clients
 > (including the clipboard integration client) for security.  The clipboard
 > integration client is supposed to restart and reconnect as necessary, but it
 > seems this has been broken for a while.
 >
 > I've has a go at fixing this and uploaded a snapshot at [1].  Perhaps you
 > could try that and see if it improves things for you?
 >
 > [1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20140222-git-c14d82e878fc884d.exe.bz2

I also noticed this problem, and tested your fix, above [1].
After applying your fix, Xwin clipboard transaction between local
machine and remote machine (through XDMCP) seems to be functional.

Claude

* Re: Clipboard integration does not work with XDMCP
@ 2014-02-24  8:31   ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2014-02-24  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thank you very much for your prompt intervention.
I can confirm that your fix works for me too.

I see that now, in the log, lines like the followings are appearing:

	client(600000): Released pid(-1).
	client(600000): Released cmdline(NULL) and cmdargs(NULL).
	client(600000): Reserved pid(-1).
	client(600000): Reserved cmdname(NULL) and cmdargs(NULL).
	AllocNewConnection: client index = 3, socket fd = 13

I guess you raised the trace/log levels for debug/reporting purposes, so
probably this is not relevant.

Thank you,
	Danilo Turina

Il 22/02/2014 14:36, Jon TURNEY ha scritto:
> On 21/02/2014 16:51, Danilo Turina wrote:
>> Hello,
>>       I need to connect from my PC to a Linux machine that runs KDE and I use
>> the following command:
>>
>>      XWin -from MY_PC_IP_ADDR -terminate -query LINUX_MACHINE_IP_ADDR
>>
>> It works well but the clipboard integration that fails.
>>
>> Notice that:
>>      1) XWin alone (i.e. no XDMCP, i.e. local) works nicely with my Windows
>> clipboard
>>      2) Xming works (almost) fine with XDMCP + clipboard (with the same Linux
>> machine)
>>
>> I gave a look at the XWin log in two cases:
>>      A) XWin alone
>>      B) XWin + XDMCP
>>
>> And the only differences I've found (apart from the different command line
>> arguments) is the following lines that were at the end of the log of the XDMCP
>> invokation:
>>
>> winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
>> winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
>> winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
>> winClipboardIOErrorHandler!
>> winClipboardProc - setjmp returned for IO Error Handler.
>> winClipboardProc - trying to restart clipboard thread
>> winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
>> winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
>> winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped WM_QUIT
>> message, exiting main loop.
>> winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.
>
> Thanks for reporting this problem, and the clear reproduction steps.
>
> The issue here is that the XDMCP login dialog kills all other X clients
> (including the clipboard integration client) for security.  The clipboard
> integration client is supposed to restart and reconnect as necessary, but it
> seems this has been broken for a while.
>
> I've has a go at fixing this and uploaded a snapshot at [1].  Perhaps you
> could try that and see if it improves things for you?
>
> [1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20140222-git-c14d82e878fc884d.exe.bz2

--
DANILO TURINA
Sesa S.p.A.
Software Development Engineer
Rieti (Italy)

3 mesi 23 giorni 24 minuti 22 secondi

* Re: Clipboard integration does not work with XDMCP
@ 2014-02-24  8:39   ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2014-02-24  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Il 22/02/2014 14:36, Jon TURNEY ha scritto:
> On 21/02/2014 16:51, Danilo Turina wrote:
>> Hello,
>>       I need to connect from my PC to a Linux machine that runs KDE and I use
>> the following command:
>>
>>      XWin -from MY_PC_IP_ADDR -terminate -query LINUX_MACHINE_IP_ADDR
>>
>> It works well but the clipboard integration that fails.
>>
>> Notice that:
>>      1) XWin alone (i.e. no XDMCP, i.e. local) works nicely with my Windows
>> clipboard
>>      2) Xming works (almost) fine with XDMCP + clipboard (with the same Linux
>> machine)
>>
>> I gave a look at the XWin log in two cases:
>>      A) XWin alone
>>      B) XWin + XDMCP
>>
>> And the only differences I've found (apart from the different command line
>> arguments) is the following lines that were at the end of the log of the XDMCP
>> invokation:
>>
>> winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
>> winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
>> winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
>> winClipboardIOErrorHandler!
>> winClipboardProc - setjmp returned for IO Error Handler.
>> winClipboardProc - trying to restart clipboard thread
>> winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:0.0
>> winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
>> winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped WM_QUIT
>> message, exiting main loop.
>> winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.
>
> Thanks for reporting this problem, and the clear reproduction steps.
>
> The issue here is that the XDMCP login dialog kills all other X clients
> (including the clipboard integration client) for security.  The clipboard
> integration client is supposed to restart and reconnect as necessary, but it
> seems this has been broken for a while.
>
> I've has a go at fixing this and uploaded a snapshot at [1].  Perhaps you
> could try that and see if it improves things for you?
>
> [1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20140222-git-c14d82e878fc884d.exe.bz2

Sorry for top posting...
I resend here my previous e-mail, without top posting.

---

Thank you very much for your prompt intervention.
I can confirm that your fix works for me too.

I see that now, in the log, lines like the followings are appearing:

     client(600000): Released pid(-1).
     client(600000): Released cmdline(NULL) and cmdargs(NULL).
     client(600000): Reserved pid(-1).
     client(600000): Reserved cmdname(NULL) and cmdargs(NULL).
     AllocNewConnection: client index = 3, socket fd = 13

I guess you raised the trace/log levels for debug/reporting purposes, so
probably this is not relevant.

Thank you,
     Danilo Turina

--