From: Linda Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: running openGL application remotely using ssh -X and cygwin/x ,extension "NV-GLX" missing on display "localhost:10.0
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:02:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Jon TURNEY wrote:

> Yes, this should work.
----
*But*, I'm pretty sure it doesn't anymore since the "Xgl" extension that was
used to transport the openGL commands between client/server was removed
from xorg's Xserver.

 From wikipedia:

Xgl was a display server implementation supporting the X Window System protocol
designed to take advantage of modern graphics cards via their OpenGL drivers,
layered on top of OpenGL via glitz. It supported hardware acceleration of all X,
OpenGL and XVideo applications and graphical effects by a compositing window
manager such as Compiz or Beryl. The project was started by David Reveman of
Novell and first released on January 2, 2006. It was removed[1] from the X.org
server in favor of AIGLX on June 12, 2008.
---

	AIGLX doesn't work with client's native openGL drives when the DISPLAY isn't
local.  Instead, it sends full-frame-buffer updates to simulate what would be
happening -- something that "appears" to work correctly for small OpenGL windows.
But is entirely 'faked' (not really remote openGL that used the Server's
acceleration Hardware.

> I'm not entirely clear if the 'extension �NV-GLX� missing' message is a
> warning or an error, but according to the internet it seems to be due to
> having a Nvidia libGL installed on the remote machine, so if all else
> fails you might look at uninstalling the Nvidia proprietary driver and
> libGL, and using mesa instead.
----
	Which would give you unaccelerated frame-buffer updates to simulate
the effect.  Not quite what used to be available.

Note: this isn't a cygwin specific problem.  i.e. people running
xorg's server on a linux box have the same problem -- accelerated+remote
3D graphics seems to be dead.