From: Laurens Blankers <laurens@blankersfamily.com>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: run.exe will not work with upgrade from 1.14.4 to 1.16.3
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 11:41:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 2015-01-04 00:02, Larry Hall (Cygwin-X) wrote:
> The fact that the recent
> changes interfere with previous usage is an issue that needs attention
> for
> sure but reverting, while the maintainer's call, just trades misbehaviour
> in the eyes of one group for that of the other.
That may be true, but you are prioritizing new users over your existing
user base here. There are many many users out there for which the
behaviour as exhibited by 1.3.2-1 has worked for many years. Behaviour
which is now broken, without even the slightest hint of what is going
on! And without a way to get all the functionality back, even with changes!

> I encourage those that want
> to smooth the transition to help by trying the solutions so far and
> offering feedback on what works well and what doesn't.  This is the
> way we
> can reach a solution that addresses the concerns of both groups.
I would like to help smoothing the transition, however not by forcing
changes down peoples throats and then saying may be when can make this
better some time in the future.

If you want my help, do the right thing, acknowledge that the way of
handling this was wrong. Revert the changes. And solicit the help of the
people on this mailing list to come up with a well designed, well
tested, and well documented solution.

> I think your point has been heard.  There's no need to take it to another
> Cygwin list or reiterate it here.
I don't think so. You maintain that the approach chosen was the right
one. I think the saying in English is "It Takes a Real Man to Admit when
He's Wrong". I am sorry, I can't help you if you keep maintaining
nothing went wrong.

Laurens