* RE: fatal IO error 104 on start
@ 2004-01-07  2:18 Greg Jewell
From: Greg Jewell @ 2004-01-07  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold,

Your suggestions fixed the problem -- thank you very much!

Just a few notes:
The second umount command gave me a "File or directory not found" error.
I never installed the Cyrillic fonts, so I didn't "reinstall" that package.

Other than that, I did everything exactly as you asked.

Thanks again!

Greg Jewell

From: Greg Jewell @ 2004-01-07  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi again,

I just read this explanation you gave to Jim.  I'm sure that you are correct about this, but the machine that I just installed Cygwin on had no previous installation of it.  I did install to my D drive, but there should have been nothing in the registry at that point.

Greg

From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-07  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jim,

@ 2004-01-06 22:39   ` Jim Scheef
From: Jim Scheef @ 2004-01-06 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2004-01-06  0:42 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-06  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2004-01-06  0:24 Greg Jewell
From: Greg Jewell @ 2004-01-06  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2004-01-05 20:57 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-05 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Greg,

Look at /tmp/XWin.log.

Harold

Greg Jewell wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just installed cygwin on my work machine, but am unable to start the X server.  Each time I try (using startx), I receive the following error:
>
> XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by perr) on X server ":0.0"
>         after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>
> I searched the archives and saw that others were having the same problem at the end of November/beginning of December, but no solution was offered.
>
> I downloaded the packages from a couple of different sources this morning, but none of them produced different results.  Other than the few times that I've installed the software this morning, cygwin had not been on this machine previously.  (It's a new box.)
>
> Does anybody know how to resolve this?
>

> Thanks,
> Greg Jewell

* fatal IO error 104 on start