* focus / windows update problems
@ 2003-10-03  7:56 Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2003-10-03  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I started up the Cygwin XFree86 server yesterday again (after many
weeks). Thanks for all the improvements!

I do have a problem with window content updates, though. I am running
latest Cygwin (as of yesterday) on a Win2000 system with "focus
follows mouse policy" (this can be set in TweakUI). Mostly it works
fine for X programs, too.

When I have two overlapping X windows and move the mouse to the back
one it gets focus and everything is as expected. However when I then
click its titlebar to move it to the front the newly shown content is
not redrawn! Only when the window looses focus and regains it the
content will be displayed correctly.

Looks like bringing the window to the front does not trigger the right
signal, i.e. redefining the window area which has to be redrawn.

Feel free to contact me if you need more information.

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* Re: focus / windows update problems
@ 2003-10-03 14:29 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-03 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jochen,

Yes, I can reproduce this behavior.

I added the following processing to winTopLevelWindowProc() and would
like a review from some other developers.  Note: It does fix the
problem, but I am not 100% sure that it is correct.

     case WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGED:
       {
	LPWINDOWPOS pwindPos = (LPWINDOWPOS) lParam;

	/* Bail if window z order was not changed */
	if (pwindPos->flags & SWP_NOZORDER)
	  break;

#if CYGMULTIWINDOW_DEBUG
	ErrorF ("winTopLevelWindowProc - hwndInsertAfter: %p\n",
		pwindPos->hwndInsertAfter);
#endif

	/* Pass the message to the root window */
	SendMessage (hwndScreen, message, wParam, lParam);

	if (s_pScreenPriv != NULL)
	  s_pScreenPriv->fWindowOrderChanged = TRUE;
       }
       return 0;

On a side note, is that a mistake the way that SendMessage is always
called before setting the flag in s_pScreenPriv?  If it is intended that
the root window be able to query that parameter, then it would be a race
condition to see whether or not that parameter got set before or after
the root window processed the message.  Any comments?

Harold

@ 2003-10-04 17:16 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-04 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jochen,

The XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-15 release should fix your problems.

Harold

@ 2003-10-06 10:53   ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2003-10-06 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harold L Hunt II; +Cc: cygwin-xfree

Hi Harold,

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 13:15:36 -0400 Harold L Hunt wrote:

Harold> The XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-15 release should fix your problems.

Yep, seems to work. There is some flashing, but updates are done
correctly for my first checks. Thanks for the quick fix.