* RE: Grace (xmgrace) 5.1.12-1  graph program --  building under cygwin -- possibly LessTif bug from 0.93.91 ?
@ 2004-01-19 11:20 Atwood, Robert C
From: Atwood, Robert C @ 2004-01-19 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thanks again Harold -- This is getting to be a steadily decreasing
priority for me so don't rush to solve my problems at the expense of
those interviews. I can easily transfer the data to a Linux box and use
my patched Grace from there to get the tick marks -- at this point the
only reason to pursue this is to learn how, maybe I can even locate the
bug ( with a little help) ...
I imagine that several other people also know the answers to these
questions as they are getting more general. I have had no problem doing
the same things on a Linux box, so it seems that it is the differences
between Linux (Red Hat 9, Red Hat 8, and Slackware 8.1) and Cygwin that
are messing me up.

>You need at least the following packages to build grace and lesstif:

>fontconfig
>libfontconfig1
>libfontconfig-devel

>XFree86-prog

>Harold

I have those, but I cannot figure out how to get Configure to pick them
up. That is, I can compile the little test routine (as used by configure
to test the M*tif installation)  from the command line by including all
the -l flags for these libraries directly but grace<version>/configure
always fails because it is not including those flags.  ( I figured this
out since last time I posted here...the libraries were all
there,somewhere, just not referenced by -l flags )
-lXft -lfontconfig -lXrender in addition to those mentioned by default

I tried adding them in the environment variable LDFLAGS but that didn't
work either -- possibly they are in the wrong order. The LDFLAGS seems
to get put before the -I flags and before the other libraries.

Is there some cygwin equvalent of ldconfig or ld.so.conf that I am
missing out here?  Or does the grace-<version>/configure script need
some changes to use a compiled LessTif instead of packaged binaries?
(this is what I will probably try next)

I have had some confusion in the past about this, on Cygwin certain
libraries getting automatically referenced .. when does a library not
explicitly referenced by a -l flag get automatically referenced?

--Robert

cygwin -- possibly LessTif bug from 0.93.91 ?

Robert,

You need at least the following packages to build grace and lesstif:

fontconfig
libfontconfig1
libfontconfig-devel

XFree86-prog

Harold

* Re: Grace (xmgrace) 5.1.12-1  graph program --  building under cygwin -- possibly LessTif bug from 0.93.91 ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-01-16 20:41 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-16 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Robert,

@ 2004-01-16 18:34 Atwood, Robert C
From: Atwood, Robert C @ 2004-01-16 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thanks for the info. I am guessing that these stages are all rolled into
{package}.sh all

Is my problem something else entirely??? I think perhaps it is.

The problem is:  when I configure Grace it exits on

Error: M*tif has not been found.

Looking at config.log, there are several 'undefined reference' errors
from libXm.a that seem to have something to do with fonts eg.

_FcPatternCreate
_XftFontOpenPattern
_XftFontClose

So it IS fiding libXm.a, but not certain other libraries needed by this
library. I am guessing that Xft* functions are in libXft,
I have cygXft-[12].dll and libXft-[12].dll.a located in
/usr/X11R6/[bin,lib] , but no *.a version of these librarys, is this the

problem? How can configure locate/use these correctly?

Thanks!
Robert

You build lesstif as follows:

1) cd /usr/src

2) ./lesstif-0.93.94-1.sh prep

3) ./lesstif-0.93.94-1.sh conf > conf.log 2>&1

4) ./lesstif-0.93.94-1.sh build > build.log 2>&1

5) ./lesstif-0.93.94-1.sh install > install.log 2>&1

6) ./lesstif-0.93.94-1.sh strip

7) ./lesstif-0.93.94-1.sh pkg

8) ./lesstif-0.93.94-1.sh spkg

You will then have a new lesstif package that you can install by
creating a new setup.ini file.  You'll have to ask or search for help on

that.  You will need some scripts called "upset" to do this.

Harold

From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-16 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2004-01-16 17:55 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-16 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Robert,

I should clarify that when I applied the patch by hand, I did not touch
the revision tags (didn't really need to).

Here is the difference I applied:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/lesstif/lesstif/lib/Xm/SeparatoG.c?r1=1.24&r2=1.26

Volker said that grace was built with static libs, which is why there is
no difference from upgrading to the 0.93.91 build (it doesn't use the DLLs).

@ 2004-01-16 16:35 ` Volker Quetschke
From: Volker Quetschke @ 2004-01-16 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Atwood, Robert C wrote:

> Sorry, I guess you missed the more detailed description, gdb backtraces,
> etc? I shouldn't have change the subject to BACKTRACE:

Yes, I realized that after I send the mail.

> When certain dialog boxes are opened, including (but not only)
> 'Plot|Axis properties ...' the program crashes.
> Opening some other boxes eg 'Plot|Plot appearance ... ' does not cause
> the crash.
> Double-clicking the axis causes the crash.
Yes, reproducable. I'll send another mail to cygwin-apps and withdraw
the 5.14.1 version.

> The console in which it was running reports that it got SIGSYS  and says
> it may have something to do with the graphic (but I think that is
> because the signal numbers are different? GDB says it gets SIGSEGV
> segmentation fault)
>
> The back trace with 5-1-12-1 rebuilt with debug (-g) is copied below.
> But LessTif seems not to have been build with -g and I am having trouble
> building this myself.
>
> The same behaviour occurs with the new 5-1-14 package and the new
> LessTif-0-93-91-6 , so my guess that it was the same bug in XGetCValues
> that I encountered in November may be totally wrong.
>
> Which LessTif did you install and get it to work? Did you try opening
> some dialog boxes or just start the test routine? The test routine works
> because it never opens those dialog boxes.

I used the 0.93-91-5 version, installed with setup. I'm not sure that
I will find the time over the weekend, but if yes, I'll try to build
debug versions for both progamms.

Volker

--
PGP/GPG key  (ID: 0x9F8A785D)  available  from  wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913  9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 254 bytes --]

* RE: Grace (xmgrace) 5.1.12-1  graph program --  building under cygwin -- possibly LessTif bug from 0.93.91 ?
@ 2004-01-16 16:07 Atwood, Robert C
From: Atwood, Robert C @ 2004-01-16 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

[...]

0x10032103 in cygX11-6!XGetGCValues () from /usr/X11R6/bin/cygX11-6.dll
(gdb) bt
#0  0x10032103 in cygX11-6!XGetGCValues () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygX11-6.dll
#1  0x00773946 in cygXm-2!_XmArrowBG_TraitAddCallback ()
   from /usr/X11R6/bin/cygXm-2.dll
#2  0x009f5ecc in cygXt-6!XtSetSensitive () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll
#3  0x009f64cb in cygXt-6!XtSetValues () from /usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll

#4  0x00a09fb8 in cygXt-6!XtVaSetValues () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll
#5  0x0047f6ab in _fu59___XmStrings () at motifutils.c:734
#6  0x004aaeae in create_axes_dialog (axisno=-1) at tickwin.c:212
#7  0x004aa6f2 in create_axes_dialog_cb (data=0x0) at tickwin.c:135
#8  0x0047fddc in button_int_cb_proc (w=0x1013d098,
client_data=0x1013d500,
    call_data=0x22f8c0) at motifutils.c:962
#9  0x009d26b3 in cygXt-6!XtCallCallbackList () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll
#10 0x007d0377 in cygXm-2!XmSetWMProtocolHooks ()
#11 0x00a06f41 in cygXt-6!_XtMatchAtom () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll
#12 0x00a073e9 in cygXt-6!_XtMatchAtom () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll
#13 0x00a0797b in cygXt-6!_XtTranslateEvent () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll
#14 0x009e0165 in cygXt-6!XtDispatchEventToWidget ()
   from /usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll
#15 0x009e0c6f in cygXt-6!_XtOnGrabList () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll
#16 0x009e0ebf in cygXt-6!XtDispatchEvent () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll
#17 0x009e13e4 in cygXt-6!XtAppMainLoop () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll
#18 0x004b7006 in _fu1053__XtShellStrings () at xmgrace.c:1187 #19
0x00403b5f in main (argc=1, argv=0x100f2538) at main.c:717
(gdb) Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

From: Volker Quetschke @ 2004-01-16 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2004-01-16 13:41 Atwood, Robert C
From: Atwood, Robert C @ 2004-01-16 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

>In fact, it took about 8 hours;

Well I am not going to even begin to discuss how much time I have just
spent trying to get the minor tick marks to point the other way from the
major tick marks, of which only the first 10 minutes was actually
changing the tick marks code in the Grace source.

Who said debugging free software was a thankless task?

0.93.91-6 - Nope. doesn't work. Since I had to go looking for a mirror
with newer updates (mirror.ac.uk doesn't have the  new stuff yet) I also
found a newer build of Grace, 5.1.14-1 and the stock install crashes
(where the old one did not) The internal help shows it was built with
0.93.91

Something I would really like to understand: why should the 5.1.12 build
with the older LessTif NOT crash when running with the newer LessTif
libraries installed? If the bug is in the LessTif function and the
(shared object? dll?) is the buggy one, shouldn't it crash?

0.93.94-1 - Grace Compiles but does not run. The error:

Error: attempt to add non-widget child "DropSiteManager" to parent
"xmgrace" which supports only widgets
Warning: XmManager ClassInitialize: XmeTraitSet failed

Harold: Hope you are feeling better soon and good luck with the  degree;
thanks for trying the build.

Detective work of my own: According to the source package I downloaded
from cygwin.matrix.com.br (only one I found that seems to be updated
with the source) for lesstif-0.93.91-6, the file where the bug happens
(SeparatorG.c) has only been patched up to 1.25 (October 6) but the bug
was not fixed until 1.26 (Nov. 27) (see copied messages below)

I am going to try patching the source and building 0-93-91(patched)
myself, but I have not had very good luck so far building any packages
under Cygwin (Grace is the only one I tried so far!) , so it may take
even more than 8 hours. All for those stupid little tick marks :-()

--Robert

**********
 Revision 1.26 - (download), view (text) (markup) (annotate) - [select
for diffs]
Thu Nov 27 19:13:06 2003 UTC (7 weeks ago) by dannybackx
CVS Tags: release_0_93_94, HEAD
Changes since 1.25: +3 -3 lines
Diff to previous 1.25

Auch - this bug was not yet fixes. Fixes bug # 849599.
**********
Date: 2003-11-27 11:16
                         Sender: dannybackx
                         Logged In: YES
                         user_id=39146

                         Auch. I was wrong. I missed one case. The bug
was still
                         in CVS until a couple of minutes ago.

                         I'll create a new release of LessTif shortly to
address this.

                         Apologies for the confusion.
**********
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-16  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Robert,

Atwood, Robert C wrote:

> Dear Harold and others:
>
> lesstif is the stock version. Also, I reinstalled all my Cygwin earlier
> today.
>

> $cygcheck -c lesstif
> Package	Version	Status
> lesstif	0.93.91-5	OK
>

> Comparing the backtrace from this problem and the other problem, it
> really looks like the same bug to me. Can the 'stock' lesstif be updated
> to 0.93.94? I thought I had seen the last of that bug a couple of months
> ago :~O

Well, it wasn't simple.  In fact, it took about 8 hours; granted,
probably 4 of that was for making clean ups that the lesstif package has
needed for a long time.  I built lesstif-0.93.94, but it doesn't work
well.  nedit crashes when opening file dialogs.  I'm trying a rebuild of
it now to see if having 0.93.91 installed while building 0.93.94 was
causing problems.

The alternative solution I came up with was to apply the patch for the
bug number you listed to my 0.93.91 source.  That seems to be stable.
However, you'll have to report whether it fixes your bug or not.

I am going to post my 0.93.94 package as a 'test' release, even if it
does not work.  I will do this so that others can download the source
package and see if they can get it to work.  I am not going to look into
it any further.  If someone gets it working and sends me clean patches,
I will release it.  If not, I won't release it.  We will just have to
wait until their is another clean lesstif release that happens to be
stable on Cygwin and with nedit.

Hope that helps,

Harold

* RE: Grace (xmgrace) 5.1.12-1  graph program --  building under cygwin -- possibly LessTif bug from 0.93.91 ?
@ 2004-01-15 20:19 Atwood, Robert C
                   ` (3 more replies)

#0  0x10032103 in cygX11-6!XGetGCValues () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygX11-6.dll
#1  0x00773946 in cygXm-2!_XmArrowBG_TraitAddCallback ()
   from /usr/X11R6/bin/cygXm-2.dll
#2  0x009f5ecc in cygXt-6!XtSetSensitive () from
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygXt-6.dll

***** backtrace from previous problem in November 2003 ****
> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x402f1319 in
                         > XGetGCValues () from
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 Current language:
                         > auto; currently c
                         > (gdb) bt
                         > #0 0x402f1319 in XGetGCValues () from
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 #1
                         > 0x400d02f7 in set_values (old=0xbfffe8e0,
request=0xbfffe5c0,

From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-15 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2004-01-15 19:08 Atwood, Robert C