* Some remote windows opened from batch file abort after a few seconds, unless started from rxvt
@ 2012-06-04 16:10 David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2012-06-04 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I have a Win7 laptop with Cygwin and an Ubuntu desktop box.  I have
some simple scripts that start a process on the Ubuntu box and display
the window on the Win7 box.

I have a desktop shortcut that executes a batch file that looks like this:

C:\Cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/bash -lc "/home/me/bin/dtsts"

The "dtsts" batch file looks like this:

#! /bin/bash
dt /home/me/bin/sts

The "dt" script does this:

#! /bin/bash
ssh -fY me@nn.nn.nn.nn "$@"

When I double-click this shortcut on the desktop, Eclipse presents the
splash screen, and then the main window.  It chugs for a few seconds,
and then disappears. I also see the DOS window show up and go away
quickly, and then an rxvt window appears and then goes away after a
few seconds.  These two windows appear and disappear before the
Eclipse splash screen appears.

if I instead bring up a local rxvt window and then run "dtsts",
Eclipse starts up fine and stays up.

These examples are for starting 'sts" (SpringSource Tool Suite).  I
have a similar chain for "term" (gnome-terminal), Emacs, and Firefox.
The first two do not have this problem. When I run the Firefox
example, I never even see the window.  It still works fine when I run
"dtfirefox" from an rxvt window.

Note that I'm not manually backgrounding any of these scripts.

Any ideas?

only message in thread, other threads:[~2012-06-04 16:10 UTC | newest]