* Cannot launch ssh from X11 system tray icon
@ 2012-03-23 17:57 Craig
From: Craig @ 2012-03-23 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I have two machines, a desktop and a laptop.
Both are 64bit Windows 7 Enterprise installations.

I (think I) configured Cygwin on both the same and they have the same
identical ~/.XWinrc file.
They both use the same mirror for installing and are both fully up to date.

A précis of my .XWinrc looks like this:

menu root {
// Comments fit here, too...
"Xterm" exec "xterm"
"Xterm - Vulpix" exec "ssh vulpix xterm -e bash --login"
}

And on the desktop both work and on the laptop only the local xterm will run.
Nothing appers in /var/log/<anything>

So I added an entry like this:

"Experiment" exec ~/experiment

and ~/experiment looks like this

#!/bin/bash
(
set -x
ssh -v vulpix xterm
) > /tmp/experiment 2>&1

It still fails (i.e. does nothing) and /tmp/experiment has

+ ssh -v vulpix xterm
OpenSSH_5.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8t 18 Jan 2012
debug1: Reading configuration data /home/craigem/.ssh/config
debug1: /home/craigem/.ssh/config line 3: Applying options for vulpix
debug1: /home/craigem/.ssh/config line 49: Applying options for vulpix
debug1: Connecting to vulpix.uk.xensource.com [10.80.2.147] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/craigem/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug1: identity file /home/craigem/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home/craigem/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/craigem/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home/craigem/.ssh/id_ecdsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/craigem/.ssh/id_ecdsa-cert type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version
OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5
debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.9
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: Server host key: RSA 51:9d:01:87:94:a8:b7:ef:13:dd:89:c4:a7:2e:8b:17
debug1: Host 'vulpix.uk.xensource.com' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/craigem/.ssh/known_hosts:7
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: Roaming not allowed by server
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug1: Offering RSA public key: /home/craigem/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Server accepts key: pkalg ssh-rsa blen 279
debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
debug1: Authentication succeeded (publickey).
Authenticated to vulpix.uk.xensource.com ([10.80.2.147]:22).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: Requesting no-more-sessions@openssh.com
debug1: Entering interactive session.
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: Sending command: xterm
      0 [main] ssh 2184 select_stuff::wait: WaitForMultipleObjects failed
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
select: Permission denied
Transferred: sent 2784, received 2152 bytes, in 0.2 seconds
Bytes per second: sent 12596.6, received 9737.0
debug1: Exit status -1

So can anyone tell me why I get the select / waitForMultipleObjects error?

If I'm in the xterm I *can* run, I have zero problems running

$ ssh vulpix xterm -e bash --login

* Re: Cannot launch ssh from X11 system tray icon
@ 2012-03-28 10:10 ` Craig
From: Craig @ 2012-03-28 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on this?
It's rendered Cygwin X11 unusable. :-(
Can any further diagnostics be enabled?

@ 2012-03-28 18:14   ` Dirk Fassbender
From: Dirk Fassbender @ 2012-03-28 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Am 28.03.2012 12:10, schrieb Craig:
> I don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on this?
> It's rendered Cygwin X11 unusable. :-(
> Can any further diagnostics be enabled?
>
> On 23 March 2012 17:56, Craig wrote:
>> I have two machines, a desktop and a laptop.
>> Both are 64bit Windows 7 Enterprise installations.
>>
>> I (think I) configured Cygwin on both the same and they have the same
>> identical ~/.XWinrc file.
>> They both use the same mirror for installing and are both fully up to date.
>>
>> A précis of my .XWinrc looks like this:
>>
>> menu root {
>> // Comments fit here, too...
>> "Xterm" exec "xterm"
>> "Xterm - Vulpix" exec "ssh vulpix xterm -e bash --login"
>> }
>>
>> And on the desktop both work and on the laptop only the local xterm will run.
>> Nothing appers in /var/log/<anything>
>>
>> So I added an entry like this:
>>
>> "Experiment" exec ~/experiment
>>
>> and ~/experiment looks like this
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> (
>> set -x
>> ssh -v vulpix xterm
>> )>  /tmp/experiment 2>&1
>>
>> It still fails (i.e. does nothing) and /tmp/experiment has
>>

>> So can anyone tell me why I get the select / waitForMultipleObjects error?
>>
>> If I'm in the xterm I *can* run, I have zero problems running
>>
>> $ ssh vulpix xterm -e bash --login

Hello Craig,

you have to use X11 Forwarding. Try

menu root {
// Comments fit here, too...
"Xterm" exec "xterm"
"Xterm - Vulpix" exec "ssh -Y vulpix xterm -e bash --login"
}

or

menu root {
// Comments fit here, too...
"Xterm" exec "xterm"
"Xterm - Vulpix" exec "ssh -X vulpix xterm -e bash --login"
}

Dirk

* Re: Cannot launch ssh from X11 system tray icon
@ 2012-03-28 22:01     ` Craig
From: Craig @ 2012-03-28 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 28 March 2012 19:14, Dirk Fassbender  wrote:
> Am 28.03.2012 12:10, schrieb Craig:
>>
>> I don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on this?
>> It's rendered Cygwin X11 unusable. :-(
>> Can any further diagnostics be enabled?
>>
>> On 23 March 2012 17:56, Craig wrote:
>>>
>>> I have two machines, a desktop and a laptop.
>>> Both are 64bit Windows 7 Enterprise installations.
>>>
>>> I (think I) configured Cygwin on both the same and they have the same
>>> identical ~/.XWinrc file.
>>> They both use the same mirror for installing and are both fully up to
>>> date.
>>>
>>> A précis of my .XWinrc looks like this:
>>>
>>> menu root {
>>> // Comments fit here, too...
>>> "Xterm" exec "xterm"
>>> "Xterm - Vulpix" exec "ssh vulpix xterm -e bash --login"
>>> }
>>>
>>> And on the desktop both work and on the laptop only the local xterm will
>>> run.
>>> Nothing appers in /var/log/<anything>
>>>
>>> So I added an entry like this:
>>>
>>> "Experiment" exec ~/experiment
>>>
>>> and ~/experiment looks like this
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> (
>>> set -x
>>> ssh -v vulpix xterm
>>> )>  /tmp/experiment 2>&1
>>>
>>> It still fails (i.e. does nothing) and /tmp/experiment has
>>>

>>> So can anyone tell me why I get the select / waitForMultipleObjects
>>> error?
>>>
>>> If I'm in the xterm I *can* run, I have zero problems running
>>>
>>> $ ssh vulpix xterm -e bash --login
>>

> Hello Craig,
>
> you have to use X11 Forwarding. Try

[snip]

Hi Dirk,

I am sorry I wasn't more explicit. My ssh config file enabled X11
forwarding, as you'll note

debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.

was in my original post.

I added -Y to the ssh and still saw both the X11 debug1 line and the symptom.
Craig

* Re: Cannot launch ssh from X11 system tray icon
@ 2012-03-29 11:39 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2012-03-29 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: cygwin-xfree

On 23/03/2012 17:56, Craig wrote:

> debug1: Sending command: xterm
>       0 [main] ssh 2184 select_stuff::wait: WaitForMultipleObjects failed
> debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
> select: Permission denied

> So can anyone tell me why I get the select / waitForMultipleObjects error?

This error is coming from inside the select() emulation in the cygwin DLL itself.

I've no idea why this is failing, and apparently only when an ancestor is the
X server.  You might want to ask about this on the main cygwin list, it might
get the attention of someone with more insight.

One thing to consider trying is that it might be something to do with the
environment inherited by processes started directly from the start menu,
rather than something specific to the X server, i.e. try starting your test
script directly from a start menu shortcut in a similar way to the X server is
started...

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Cannot launch ssh from X11 system tray icon
@ 2012-04-02  8:32   ` Craig
From: Craig @ 2012-04-02  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 29 March 2012 12:39, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 23/03/2012 17:56, Craig wrote:
>
>> debug1: Sending command: xterm
>>       0 [main] ssh 2184 select_stuff::wait: WaitForMultipleObjects failed
>> debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
>> select: Permission denied
>

>> So can anyone tell me why I get the select / waitForMultipleObjects error?
>
> This error is coming from inside the select() emulation in the cygwin DLL itself.
>
> I've no idea why this is failing, and apparently only when an ancestor is the
> X server.  You might want to ask about this on the main cygwin list, it might
> get the attention of someone with more insight.
>
> One thing to consider trying is that it might be something to do with the
> environment inherited by processes started directly from the start menu,
> rather than something specific to the X server, i.e. try starting your test
> script directly from a start menu shortcut in a similar way to the X server is
> started...
>
> --
> Jon TURNEY
> Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

Hi Jon,

Thanks for getting back to me.
So I can run this from the run box:

C:\cygwin\bin\run bash -c "export DISPLAY=:0.0 ; /bin/ssh vulpix xterm"

And I get an xterm.

I have my XWin Server pinned to my start bar and so I made a shortcut
with the above in it and pinned it to my start bar and the thing runs
fine.
Both use "run".

I'm thinking it's to do with Windows permissions.

Does The XWin Server do a process group change or something?

Craig

* Re: Cannot launch ssh from X11 system tray icon
@ 2012-04-04 21:16     ` Craig
From: Craig @ 2012-04-04 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Installing 1.12.0-1 made the issue go away. :-)

Craig