* Graphical glitch in all but multiwindow mode over remote desktop
@ 2012-10-04  8:00 Erik Fonnesbeck
From: Erik Fonnesbeck @ 2012-10-04  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

This is on Windows Server 2008 R2 with desktop composition enabled
over remote desktop and using Cygwin/X 1.12.4 (though I have not seen
any release notes mentioning a fix for it, so I'm guessing it is still
relevant in the current version).  Windows 7 should be relevant for
testing this bug as well.  I do not recall testing without desktop
composition enabled for the remote desktop session, and I do not know
whether the issue is specific to Windows 7/Server 2008 R2.

Multiwindow mode works fine, but all other modes draw on the taskbar
instead of in the Cygwin/X window.  I have tried various combinations
of settings for the X server, but the behavior is the same in all
cases.

* Re: Graphical glitch in all but multiwindow mode over remote desktop
@ 2012-10-08 13:35 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2012-10-08 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: efonnes

On 04/10/2012 09:00, Erik Fonnesbeck wrote:
> This is on Windows Server 2008 R2 with desktop composition enabled
> over remote desktop and using Cygwin/X 1.12.4 (though I have not seen
> any release notes mentioning a fix for it, so I'm guessing it is still
> relevant in the current version).  Windows 7 should be relevant for
> testing this bug as well.  I do not recall testing without desktop
> composition enabled for the remote desktop session, and I do not know
> whether the issue is specific to Windows 7/Server 2008 R2.
>
> Multiwindow mode works fine, but all other modes draw on the taskbar
> instead of in the Cygwin/X window.  I have tried various combinations
> of settings for the X server, but the behavior is the same in all
> cases.
Did you try adding '-engine 1' option to the X server command line?

All modes apart from multiwindow use DirectX drawing by default, and there
have been reports that doesn't work correctly over RDP.

(From my brief research, this may be related to the DirectX version which Xwin
uses.  DirectX over RDP, rendering on the host, is supposed to work since
Vista, but only for DX9 or later clients, and XWin uses an older DX interface)

* Re: Graphical glitch in all but multiwindow mode over remote desktop
@ 2012-10-09  1:20   ` Erik Fonnesbeck
From: Erik Fonnesbeck @ 2012-10-09  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
> On 04/10/2012 09:00, Erik Fonnesbeck wrote:
>> This is on Windows Server 2008 R2 with desktop composition enabled
>> over remote desktop and using Cygwin/X 1.12.4 (though I have not seen
>> any release notes mentioning a fix for it, so I'm guessing it is still
>> relevant in the current version).  Windows 7 should be relevant for
>> testing this bug as well.  I do not recall testing without desktop
>> composition enabled for the remote desktop session, and I do not know
>> whether the issue is specific to Windows 7/Server 2008 R2.
>>
>> Multiwindow mode works fine, but all other modes draw on the taskbar
>> instead of in the Cygwin/X window.  I have tried various combinations
>> of settings for the X server, but the behavior is the same in all
>> cases.
> Did you try adding '-engine 1' option to the X server command line?
>
> All modes apart from multiwindow use DirectX drawing by default, and there
> have been reports that doesn't work correctly over RDP.
>
> (From my brief research, this may be related to the DirectX version which Xwin
> uses.  DirectX over RDP, rendering on the host, is supposed to work since
> Vista, but only for DX9 or later clients, and XWin uses an older DX interface)

I was unable to reproduce this on my Windows 7 desktop, with desktop
composition enabled or disabled over remote desktop (same version of
Cygwin/X).  It does seem to be specific to desktop composition, as it
seemed to behave fine when I disabled it on the remote desktop
connection to my Windows Server 2008 R2 system (which is a VM with no
3d capabilities, if that's relevant).  Since it isn't used as a
server, after you mentioned DirectX I decided to try installing the
missing DirectX 9 files in case it would have any effect (it didn't).

Adding the '-engine 1' option did make it display properly.