* xterm title setting breaks when upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit cygwin
@ 2013-08-01  0:55 Jeremy Elson
From: Jeremy Elson @ 2013-08-01  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I recently upgraded from the 32-bit to the 64-bit build of Cygwin
1.7.22 on Windows 8 x64. For the most part, everything works
identically (except faster!). But I have noticed one problem: xterm no
longer seems to respond to the magic escape codes that change its
title. My shell uses this to update the title to reflect the current
hostname and working directory, but after the upgrade all my xterms
just have the same title: "tcsh".

I haven't seen any mention of this bug on the mailing lists. Is anyone
else experiencing this problem?

* Re: xterm title setting breaks when upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit cygwin
@ 2013-08-01 17:29 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2013-08-01 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: jelson

On 01/08/2013 01:55, Jeremy Elson wrote:
> I recently upgraded from the 32-bit to the 64-bit build of Cygwin
> 1.7.22 on Windows 8 x64. For the most part, everything works
> identically (except faster!). But I have noticed one problem: xterm no
> longer seems to respond to the magic escape codes that change its
> title. My shell uses this to update the title to reflect the current
> hostname and working directory, but after the upgrade all my xterms
> just have the same title: "tcsh".
>
> I haven't seen any mention of this bug on the mailing lists. Is anyone
> else experiencing this problem?

Thanks for pointing out this problem.

It seems that x86_64 X server has a bug that meant that no window could change
it's title after it started.

I've uploaded a snapshot at [1]. Perhaps you could try that and see if it
improves things for you?

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.x86_64.20130801-git-beadc5a3202e096a.exe.bz2

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: xterm title setting breaks when upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit cygwin
@ 2013-08-01 18:51   ` Jeremy Elson
From: Jeremy Elson @ 2013-08-01 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
> On 01/08/2013 01:55, Jeremy Elson wrote:
> > I recently upgraded from the 32-bit to the 64-bit build of Cygwin
> > 1.7.22 on Windows 8 x64. For the most part, everything works
> > identically (except faster!). But I have noticed one problem: xterm no
> > longer seems to respond to the magic escape codes that change its
> > title. My shell uses this to update the title to reflect the current
> > hostname and working directory, but after the upgrade all my xterms
> > just have the same title: "tcsh".
> >
> > I haven't seen any mention of this bug on the mailing lists. Is anyone
> > else experiencing this problem?
>
> Thanks for pointing out this problem.
>
> It seems that x86_64 X server has a bug that meant that no window could
> change
> it's title after it started.
>
> I've uploaded a snapshot at [1]. Perhaps you could try that and see if it
> improves things for you?
>
> [1]
> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.x86_64.20130801-git-beadc5a3202e096a.exe.bz2

Thanks for the very fast followup - yes, using the XWin binary below, my xterm
can now set its title correctly!

Thanks again, and regards,
Jeremy