* website & identifiers
@ 2003-12-27 15:34 Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2003-12-27 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

When perusing the website for news, it would be useful if the pages were
marked (in their source) as generated or manually updated.  For the former
(unless they're generated on demand), a modification date would also be
useful.  For the latter, an RCS/CVS/etc identifier to distinguish
successive versions is normally expected.

Are the pages all generated from another format, or are some in CVS
(somewhere)?

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

* Re: website & identifiers
@ 2003-12-27 17:27 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-27 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thomas Dickey wrote:
> When perusing the website for news, it would be useful if the pages were
> marked (in their source) as generated or manually updated.  For the former
> (unless they're generated on demand), a modification date would also be
> useful.  For the latter, an RCS/CVS/etc identifier to distinguish
> successive versions is normally expected.
>
> Are the pages all generated from another format, or are some in CVS
> (somewhere)?

The Documentation (User's Guide, Contributor's Guide, and FAQ) are
generated from DocBook source; see the following page for information on
where to get the source in CVS:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/documentation/

I believe that all other pages on the site are manually generated, and
they are stored in CVS.  My various attempts to find a public CVS
interface to the tree and to find a CVSWeb interface to the tree have
not been successful; I have not checked with Chris whether this is
intentional or not, in either case, it is beyond my control.

We could add an identifier to each file.  I have to look into some
options for doing so.

In the meantime, enjoy the following hack:

http://cygwin.com/xfree/CVS/Entries

Harold

* Re: website & identifiers
@ 2003-12-27 18:43 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-27 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thomas Dickey wrote:

> When perusing the website for news, it would be useful if the pages were
> marked (in their source) as generated or manually updated.  For the former
> (unless they're generated on demand), a modification date would also be
> useful.  For the latter, an RCS/CVS/etc identifier to distinguish
> successive versions is normally expected.
>
> Are the pages all generated from another format, or are some in CVS
> (somewhere)?

By the way... what are you looking for?  CVS identifiers wouldn't
necessarily help to determine that new information has been posted since
commits for spelling fixes, grammar changes, dead link correction, etc.
would cause irrelevant noise in the modified date tags.  That's really
why I chose to put a hand-coded date at the top of the pages; that way
people are notified when content has been modified in a meaningful way,
but there aren't false-positives when minor changes have been made.

Would CVS identifiers still be useful for whatever you are trying to do?
    Maybe I'll start adding them as comments for starters but still keep
the hand-modified date for each page.

Harold

* Re: website & identifiers
@ 2003-12-29 19:30   ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2003-12-29 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > When perusing the website for news, it would be useful if the pages were
> > marked (in their source) as generated or manually updated.  For the former
> > (unless they're generated on demand), a modification date would also be
> > useful.  For the latter, an RCS/CVS/etc identifier to distinguish
> > successive versions is normally expected.
> >
> > Are the pages all generated from another format, or are some in CVS
> > (somewhere)?
>
> By the way... what are you looking for?  CVS identifiers wouldn't

If it's maintained (i.e., if the file isn't edited w/o checking it in),
it's a quick way to check if the file's been changed recently.  The
identifier also provides a point of reference to check if there are
changes that aren't committed.  Hand-coded dates are more readable (and
of course I use those where readability is a factor), but the automatic
ones are preferable for identifying distinct versions.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

* Re: website & identifiers
@ 2003-12-29 19:34   ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2003-12-29 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Would CVS identifiers still be useful for whatever you are trying to do?
>     Maybe I'll start adding them as comments for starters but still keep
> the hand-modified date for each page.

That's what I do, e.g.,

	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.log.html

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

* Re: website & identifiers
@ 2003-12-29 19:38     ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-29 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>

>>Would CVS identifiers still be useful for whatever you are trying to do?
>>    Maybe I'll start adding them as comments for starters but still keep
>>the hand-modified date for each page.
>

> That's what I do, e.g.,
>
> 	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.log.html

Okay.

Each page should now have:

HEADER MODIFIED: $Date$ $Author$
LEFT SIDEBAR MODIFIED: $Date$ $Author$
BODY MODIFIED: $Date$ $Author$
FOOTER MODIFIED: $Date$ $Author$

Additionally, the home page has:

NEWS MODIFIED: $Date$ $Author$

Harold

* Re: website & identifiers
@ 2003-12-29 20:51       ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2003-12-29 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Okay.
>
> Each page should now have:
>
> HEADER MODIFIED: $Date$ $Author$
> LEFT SIDEBAR MODIFIED: $Date$ $Author$