* Startx on WinXP
@ 2004-01-21 20:23 Brian L. Walter
From: Brian L. Walter @ 2004-01-21 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Greetings,

I've recently installd cygwin on both a win98 machine and a winxp machine.
The win98 installs works great (except for being really slow, but that's a
hardware issue.)  On the XP side, I've installed it, but getting some
strange behavior.  If I do a 'startx', I get the following:

[: and: unknown operand
[: and: unknown operand

After doing some playing around with the startx script, I've come to realize
it's complaining about the bash conditional statements.  As though I'm not
running under bash....

And as far as I can see, I am.  The fall out of this behavior is the
inability to control which window manager gets started.  I can get around
that by commenting out all of the conditionals in startx, but, this seems at
best a temporary work around.

Am I missing something in setting up/configuring cygwin to run under XP,
something that is different than win98?

TIA

Brian L. Walter
Service Data Managemnet
"We treat our customers like a future depends on it"
www.sdm1.com

---

* Re: Startx on WinXP
@ 2004-01-21 21:07 ` Igor Pechtchanski
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-01-21 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, bwalter

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Brian L. Walter wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've recently installd cygwin on both a win98 machine and a winxp machine.
> The win98 installs works great (except for being really slow, but that's a
> hardware issue.)  On the XP side, I've installed it, but getting some
> strange behavior.  If I do a 'startx', I get the following:
>
> [: and: unknown operand
> [: and: unknown operand
>
> After doing some playing around with the startx script, I've come to realize
> it's complaining about the bash conditional statements.  As though I'm not
> running under bash....
>
> And as far as I can see, I am.  The fall out of this behavior is the
> inability to control which window manager gets started.  I can get around
> that by commenting out all of the conditionals in startx, but, this seems at
> best a temporary work around.
>
> Am I missing something in setting up/configuring cygwin to run under XP,
> something that is different than win98?
>
> TIA
> Brian L. Walter

Brian,

You didn't do anything wrong.  This problem is most likely due to you
having either HOME or TMP set to "C:\Documents and Settings\...".  The
"and" in "Documents and settings" is what startx complains about (since it
doesn't quote paths properly).

I've posted a patch to startx a while ago that fixed this, but it looks
like it hasn't been incorporated in the latest release.  Since startx is
just a text file, you can simply apply the patch yourself from
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-11/msg00314.html> (use "patch -p0
< startx.patch" in /usr/X11R6/bin).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Startx on WinXP
@ 2004-01-21 21:34   ` Brian L. Walterr
From: Brian L. Walterr @ 2004-01-21 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thanks!  That makes sense.  I'll apply/look at the patch and go from
there!

Regards,

--
Brian L. Walter
Service Data Management

* RE: Startx on WinXP
@ 2004-01-21 21:52   ` Brian L. Walter
From: Brian L. Walter @ 2004-01-21 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, cygwin-xfree

Well, that didn't fix it.  But you gave me somewhere to look.  I might try
the old dos way of naming directories, i.e. with the ~.  I'll let ya know.

Regards,
Brian

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Brian L. Walter wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've recently installd cygwin on both a win98 machine and a winxp
> machine. The win98 installs works great (except for being really slow,
> but that's a hardware issue.)  On the XP side, I've installed it, but
> getting some strange behavior.  If I do a 'startx', I get the
> following:
>
> [: and: unknown operand
> [: and: unknown operand
>
> After doing some playing around with the startx script, I've come to
> realize it's complaining about the bash conditional statements.  As
> though I'm not running under bash....
>
> And as far as I can see, I am.  The fall out of this behavior is the
> inability to control which window manager gets started.  I can get
> around that by commenting out all of the conditionals in startx, but,
> this seems at best a temporary work around.
>
> Am I missing something in setting up/configuring cygwin to run under
> XP, something that is different than win98?
>
> TIA
> Brian L. Walter

Brian,

You didn't do anything wrong.  This problem is most likely due to you having
either HOME or TMP set to "C:\Documents and Settings\...".  The "and" in
"Documents and settings" is what startx complains about (since it doesn't
quote paths properly).

I've posted a patch to startx a while ago that fixed this, but it looks like
it hasn't been incorporated in the latest release.  Since startx is just a
text file, you can simply apply the patch yourself from
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-11/msg00314.html> (use "patch -p0 <
startx.patch" in /usr/X11R6/bin).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

* RE: Startx on WinXP
@ 2004-01-21 22:41   ` Brian L. Walter
From: Brian L. Walter @ 2004-01-21 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, cygwin-xfree

Okay, got startx to starup with out errors.  It even works great with twm.
However, if I switch to mwm, by just modifying startx, it starts the
manager, paints the windows and clock, but, does not recognize *any* input,
either keyboard or mouse.  Is this the same kind of issue?  And if so, based
on the documention I've read, which file do I look in? Everything referred
to in the documentation describes behavior, i.e. menus etc.  I don't see any
path related issues..

Sigh..
TIA
Brian

@ 2004-01-21 23:09     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-01-21 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, bwalter

What was the problem?  What was missing in the original patch?  Please
share your fixes with the community - that way we all benefit.

AFAIK, mwm doesn't paint the contents of the windows - it only controls
the border, cursors, and other decorations.  I doubt your problem is
related to the paths.  What version of lesstif do you have installed
("cygcheck -c lesstif")?
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: Startx on WinXP
@ 2004-01-21 23:14     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-01-21 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, bwalter

FWIW, if it was your HOME that contained "Documents and Settings", you can
"mount 'c:/Documents and Settings' /home", and refer to
"/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/brian" as "/home/brian"...  This is
still a band-aid, but a better one than using DOS-style paths.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: Startx on WinXP
@ 2004-01-22  0:46       ` Brian L. Walter
From: Brian L. Walter @ 2004-01-22  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, cygwin-xfree

the *solution* was a cheat.  I commented out the references in startx to
$HOME.  Since I don't have specific configurations, this is an acceptable
white lie.

The version of lesstif is 0.93.91-6.  Interestingly enough, it's -2 on the
win98 machine, on which mwm *does* work.  I might try downgrading to -2
(from the install packages on the win98 machine).

Thanks for you patience!

Regards,
Brian

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: Startx on WinXP
@ 2004-01-22  3:15         ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-01-22  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hmm, the changes to startx in that patch were supposed to take care of the
unquoted $HOME...  Did the patch apply cleanly, or were some chunks
rejected?  That particular patch was against XFree86-bin-4.3.0-7, so it's
possible that startx changed between that and -8...

Another solution is to use 'mount', as I described in another reply.
Much better than commenting out arbitrary stuff in 'startx'.

Hmm, I'm on 0.93.91-4, and that seems to work ok for me...  Did you try
searching the list archives for reported lesstif problems?  I seem to
recall that there were some (related to the VendorShell extension), and
that they were fixed in some version or other.
	Igor
P.S. Oh, and please try to configure your mailer not to quote raw e-mail
addresses in your replies?  They serve as food for spam harvesters.

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: Startx on WinXP
@ 2004-01-22 16:55         ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2004-01-22 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Brian L. Walter wrote:

> the *solution* was a cheat.  I commented out the references in startx to
> $HOME.  Since I don't have specific configurations, this is an acceptable
> white lie.

Why not try startxwin.bat and the "nifty" multiwindow mode (ie. Windows is
the window manager)?

> The version of lesstif is 0.93.91-6.  Interestingly enough, it's -2 on the
> win98 machine, on which mwm *does* work.  I might try downgrading to -2
> (from the install packages on the win98 machine).

WFM.

-2 was a broken attempt at an Xm DLL.  It just so happened that mwm was
still linked to the static Xm in that package.  In general, it was broken,
so don't revert please.

You might post strace mwm | grep Mwm 2>&1 to see if it is an app-default
issue.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer