* Installation question
@ 2004-01-27 17:49 Rick Daihl
From: Rick Daihl @ 2004-01-27 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Rather than installing CYGwin and CYGwin/X locally on each  machine, can I run
from a common network drive?    In this scenario I would have
several machines running from this drive.    I've already tried this and ran
into /tmp/XWin.log file not being unique.    I know I'll pay a heavy
price for hitting the network (that might be an uderstatement).   We are
replacing Exceed with this package.  Most of our desktops don't have
enough free space to load the two packages and have anything leftover.

* Re: Installation question
@ 2004-01-27 17:53 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-01-27 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, Rick Daihl

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Rick Daihl wrote:

> Rather than installing CYGwin and CYGwin/X locally on each  machine, can I run
> from a common network drive?    In this scenario I would have
> several machines running from this drive.    I've already tried this and ran
> into /tmp/XWin.log file not being unique.    I know I'll pay a heavy
> price for hitting the network (that might be an uderstatement).   We are
> replacing Exceed with this package.  Most of our desktops don't have
> enough free space to load the two packages and have anything leftover.

Mount /tmp (and /etc, most likely) locally.  That should take care of the
uniqueness problem.  "man mount" for details.  BTW, you can also mount
individual files (e.g., you can keep a local copy of just /etc/passwd and
/etc/group, and go to the network for everything else).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Installation question
@ 2004-01-27 18:05 ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2004-01-27 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, Rick Daihl

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Rick Daihl wrote:

> Rather than installing CYGwin and CYGwin/X locally on each  machine, can I run
> from a common network drive?    In this scenario I would have
> several machines running from this drive.    I've already tried this and ran
> into /tmp/XWin.log file not being unique.    I know I'll pay a heavy
> price for hitting the network (that might be an uderstatement).   We are
> replacing Exceed with this package.  Most of our desktops don't have
> enough free space to load the two packages and have anything leftover.

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2001-q3/msg00997.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-07/msg00165.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=shared%20network%20install%20site%3Acygwin.com
etc.