* Re: gtk+ applications crash when filechooser opened
@ 2014-01-02 16:12 Geoffrey Yerem
From: Geoffrey Yerem @ 2014-01-02 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello,
	Has anyone found a resolution to this problem?  I've been searching for
weeks now and haven't been able to find a solution.  My Cygwin
installation has been broken ever since.

	Thanks!

Geoffrey

* Re: gtk+ applications crash when filechooser opened
@ 2014-01-02 17:30 ` Carl Michal
From: Carl Michal @ 2014-01-02 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Geoffrey Yerem wrote:

> Hello,
> 	Has anyone found a resolution to this problem?  I've been searching
> for weeks now and haven't been able to find a solution.  My Cygwin
> installation has been broken ever since.

I spent a little time trying to debug this a few weeks ago. I did confirm
that the problem doesn't occur on x86_64. On x86 though, it looks like a
Heisenbug - it behaved differently when running in the debugger, and
differently depending on how you hit it in the debugger.  To me it looked
like it was buried somewhere in the threading library, but I didn't really
get far enough along to say.

Carl

* Re: gtk+ applications crash when filechooser opened
@ 2014-01-02 17:39   ` Geoffrey Yerem
From: Geoffrey Yerem @ 2014-01-02 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 1/2/2014 12:30 PM, Carl Michal wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Geoffrey Yerem wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>     Has anyone found a resolution to this problem?  I've been
>> searching for weeks now and haven't been able to find a solution.  My
>> Cygwin installation has been broken ever since.
>
> I spent a little time trying to debug this a few weeks ago. I did
> confirm that the problem doesn't occur on x86_64. On x86 though, it
> looks like a Heisenbug - it behaved differently when running in the
> debugger, and differently depending on how you hit it in the debugger.
> To me it looked like it was buried somewhere in the threading library,
> but I didn't really get far enough along to say.
>
> Carl

Hi Carl,
	For some reason this problem sounds like something I had to fix before,
but I can't really recall anything.  I was hoping it was related to a
bad configuration file somewhere that I could refresh.

	Right now it sounds like it's something that was upgraded recently, but
I have no way to track that down.  Do you think it's a bug in GTK+, or
another library?

	If there were any kind of workaround, that would help me immensely.

Geoffrey

* Re: gtk+ applications crash when filechooser opened
@ 2014-01-03  0:51     ` Carl Michal
From: Carl Michal @ 2014-01-03  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Geoffrey Yerem wrote:

> On 1/2/2014 12:30 PM, Carl Michal wrote:
>>  On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Geoffrey Yerem wrote:
>>
>> >  Hello,
>> >      Has anyone found a resolution to this problem?  I've been
>> >  searching for weeks now and haven't been able to find a solution.  My
>> >  Cygwin installation has been broken ever since.
>>
>>  I spent a little time trying to debug this a few weeks ago. I did
>>  confirm that the problem doesn't occur on x86_64. On x86 though, it
>>  looks like a Heisenbug - it behaved differently when running in the
>>  debugger, and differently depending on how you hit it in the debugger.
>>  To me it looked like it was buried somewhere in the threading library,
>>  but I didn't really get far enough along to say.
>>
>>  Carl
>
> Hi Carl,
> 	For some reason this problem sounds like something I had to fix
> before, but I can't really recall anything.  I was hoping it was related to a
> bad configuration file somewhere that I could refresh.
>
> 	Right now it sounds like it's something that was upgraded recently,
> but I have no way to track that down.  Do you think it's a bug in GTK+, or
> another library?
>
> 	If there were any kind of workaround, that would help me immensely.
>
> Geoffrey

I think this is in pthreads, or glib. I don't think the problem is in gtk+
itself.

I haven't found any way around it yet except to use a 64-bit machine.

Carl

* Re: gtk+ applications crash when filechooser opened
@ 2013-12-13 19:02     ` Carl Michal
From: Carl Michal @ 2013-12-13 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Dec 13 09:31, Ken Brown wrote:
>> [This is a followup to
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/msg00255.html; see also
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/msg00146.html]
>>
>> On 12/13/2013 2:12 AM, Carl Michal wrote:
>>> I recently started trying to port a gtk program to cygwin, and have
>>> found that my program crashes everytime it tries to open a file chooser
>>> widget.
>>>
>>> This doesn't happen with just my own programs, but also with gvim and
>>> emacs-x11. Either will start up ok, but both crash as soon as File->Open
>>> is selected.
>>
>> FWIW, here's one more data point.  I can confirm this behavior of
>> gvim and emacs-X11, but on x86 only.  The File->Open dialog works
>> fine in both gvim and emacs-X11 on x86_64.
>
> A crash at this point would indicate a broken value returned from
> *g_private_get_impl (key).  It should be a valid pthread_key_t
> value but appears not to be one, for some reason.

What's interesting is that the call to open the filechooser hits this
routine (g_private_get) a few times (through g_slice_alloc). If you
don't try to step into pthread_getspecific, it crashes on the third time
it is called. The same key is returned by g_private_get_impl every time.

Trying to follow into pthread_getspecific gets really weird though. The
debugger can't see the argument at all - says it doesn't exist in the
current context. It appears that if I step into pthread_getspecific it
crashes every time.

I'm a little boggled here - there are 40 odd calls to pthread_getspecific
that occur while my program starts up, and they appear to complete
successfully, unless I try to follow with the debugger.

This is from an early call to pthread_getspecific, that wouldn't crash if
I wasn't running in the debugger:

0x6c62fe70 in pthread_getspecific ()
     at /usr/src/debug/cygwin-1.7.27-2/winsup/cygwin/thread.cc:2617
2617    {
gdb)
list
2612      return 0;
2613    }
2614
2615    extern "C" void *
2616    pthread_getspecific (pthread_key_t key)
2617    {
2618      if (!pthread_key::is_good_object (&key))
2619        return NULL;
2620
2621      return (key)->get ();
(gdb) print key
No symbol "key" in current context.
(gdb) s
/netrel/src/gdb-7.6.50-4/gdb/infrun.c:1942: internal-error: resume:
Assertion `pc_in_thread_step_range (pc, tp)' failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,

It crashes at line 2617 - before even getting to any of the code in the
function!

I haven't tried this on the 64 bit install, but will try to.

Carl

* Re: gtk+ applications crash when filechooser opened
@ 2013-12-13 14:47   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-12-13 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Dec 13 09:31, Ken Brown wrote:
> [This is a followup to
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/msg00255.html; see also
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/msg00146.html]
>
> On 12/13/2013 2:12 AM, Carl Michal wrote:
> >I recently started trying to port a gtk program to cygwin, and have
> >found that my program crashes everytime it tries to open a file chooser
> >widget.
> >
> >This doesn't happen with just my own programs, but also with gvim and
> >emacs-x11. Either will start up ok, but both crash as soon as File->Open
> >is selected.
>
> FWIW, here's one more data point.  I can confirm this behavior of
> gvim and emacs-X11, but on x86 only.  The File->Open dialog works
> fine in both gvim and emacs-X11 on x86_64.

A crash at this point would indicate a broken value returned from
*g_private_get_impl (key).  It should be a valid pthread_key_t
value but appears not to be one, for some reason.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: gtk+ applications crash when filechooser opened
       [not found] <alpine.LNX.2.00.1312122309350.17740@spider.phas.ubc.ca>
@ 2013-12-13 14:31 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2013-12-13 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

[This is a followup to
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/msg00255.html; see also
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/msg00146.html]

On 12/13/2013 2:12 AM, Carl Michal wrote:
> I recently started trying to port a gtk program to cygwin, and have
> found that my program crashes everytime it tries to open a file chooser
> widget.
>
> This doesn't happen with just my own programs, but also with gvim and
> emacs-x11. Either will start up ok, but both crash as soon as File->Open
> is selected.

FWIW, here's one more data point.  I can confirm this behavior of gvim
and emacs-X11, but on x86 only.  The File->Open dialog works fine in
both gvim and emacs-X11 on x86_64.

Ken