* problem using XWin for HP-Unix
@ 2004-01-28  6:14 geethar
From: geethar @ 2004-01-28  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

    We tried to use Cygwin's XWin command to connect to the HP-UNIX machine
remotely. But we do not know which port number has to be used. Please let me
know which command should be used to connect to HP-Unix and what port has to
used for the same.

I appreciate your early response. We are actually stuck with this problem
and waiting for this to be resolved.

Thanks in advance.

Warm Regards,
Geetha.D
Senior Software Engineer
Network Systems Division
Sasken Communication Technologies Ltd
Ring Road, Domlur
Bangalore 560 071,
India
Ph: 91 80 5355501 - 03 Xtn: 8026

PLEASE VISIT US AT STAND E13B, AT 3GSM WORLD CONGRESS 2004, CANNES.

SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER

This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally Privileged information. In case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

* Re: problem using XWin for HP-Unix
@ 2004-01-28  7:17 ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2004-01-28  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

You are a little bit generic with your request.
Anyway here is a script that I use to connect via XDMCP to a HP-UX 11.11
machine (but it works also for HP-UX 11.00 and 10.20):

-----------------CUT--------------------
#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:1.0
IPADDRESS=`ipconfig  | grep "IP Address" | sed -e "s/^[^0-9]*//g"`
export PATH="/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH"
eval `ssh-agent`

# Cleanup from last run.
rm -rf /tmp/.X11-unix

XWin :0 -clipboard -kb -nowinkill -unixkill -fp \
   tcp/fontserverhost:7000 -ac -once -query hosttoconnecto \
   -fullscreen -screen 0 1024 768 -from $IPADDRESS -audit 4

eval `ssh-agent -k`

# Return from sh.
exit
-----------------CUT--------------------

where:
	- "fontserverhost" is the hostname (or IP address) of a HP-UX machine
that runs the font server;
	- "hosttoconnectto" is the hostname to which you wish to connect via XDMCP.

Ciao,

		Danilo

@ 2004-01-29  7:27 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2004-01-29  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

geethar wrote:

> Hi,
> We tried to use Cygwin's XWin command to connect to the HP-UNIX
> machine remotely. But we do not know which port number has to be used.
> Please let me know which command should be used to connect to HP-Unix
> and what port has to used for the same.
>
> I appreciate your early response. We are actually stuck with this
> problem and waiting for this to be resolved.
>
> Thanks in advance.

X traffic generally travels over port 6000 but I believe it's really
something like 6000 + DISPLAY # so for DISPLAY=<machine>:0 it's 6000 but
for DISPLAY=<machine>:1 it'd be 6001.

Note if you are using XDMCP I believe it uses port 770 (UDP).
--
Copywight 1994 Elmer Fudd. All wights wesewved.

* Re: problem using XWin for HP-Unix
@ 2004-01-29 16:35   ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-01-29 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> X traffic generally travels over port 6000 but I believe it's really
> something like 6000 + DISPLAY # so for DISPLAY=<machine>:0 it's 6000 but
> for DISPLAY=<machine>:1 it'd be 6001.

correct

> Note if you are using XDMCP I believe it uses port 770 (UDP).

port 177 udp

bye
    ago

NP: VNV Nation - Afterfire
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* RE: problem using XWin for HP-Unix
@ 2004-02-02  3:23   ` Joaquin
From: Joaquin @ 2004-02-02  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Though this is not so secure using the $DISPLAY=ipaddr:0.0 and xhost
+ipaddr.  It's better to just ssh into the machine from a local xterm
and have xclients automatically forwarded (though X11 authentication
needs to be turned on in ssh config files).