* Clipboard configuration
@ 2004-01-08 13:48 Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2004-01-08 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

A good configuration option is no configuration option :-)

Is there any reason not to make -clipboard default for XWin once the
current round of changes are out of the door?

In the past xwinclip crashed intermittantly and it clobbered the clipboard, so -clipboard
not being default made sense.

Øyvind

* Re: Clipboard configuration
@ 2004-01-08 15:00 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-08 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Øyvind,

Øyvind Harboe wrote:

> A good configuration option is no configuration option :-)
>
> Is there any reason not to make -clipboard default for XWin once the
> current round of changes are out of the door?
>
> In the past xwinclip crashed intermittantly and it clobbered the clipboard, so -clipboard
> not being default made sense.

I have already been thinking about it.

I'll eventually make -clipboard the default and add a -noclipboard
option to disable it.

That is what we have typically done for all features that newly reach
stabililty.

Harold

* Re: Clipboard configuration
@ 2004-01-08 16:39   ` Sam Edge
From: Sam Edge @ 2004-01-08 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote in
<3FFD70AB.4080100@msu.edu>
in gmane.os.cygwin.xfree on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:00:59 -0500:

> Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> > A good configuration option is no configuration option :-)
> > Is there any reason not to make -clipboard default for XWin once the
> > current round of changes are out of the door?
> > In the past xwinclip crashed intermittantly and it clobbered the clipboard, so -clipboard
> > not being default made sense.
>
> I have already been thinking about it.
> I'll eventually make -clipboard the default and add a -noclipboard
> option to disable it.
> That is what we have typically done for all features that newly reach
> stabililty.

It could be argued that if the -query or -broadcast option is also
being used the default should remain -noclipboard.

Most (remote) display managers turn on X authentication and prevent
the internal clipboard client from connecting to its own Cygwin/X
server. This results in the client wasting its time doing it's
start-up retries. This isn't a huge waste - more a niggle.

If the inter-clipboard functionality is eventually re-coded into the
server end instead of being an X-client it will avoid the
authentication problem and the default can be changed to 'enabled' in
all cases.

Discuss?

--
Sam Edge

* Re: Clipboard configuration
@ 2004-01-08 16:54     ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-01-08 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Sam Edge wrote:

> If the inter-clipboard functionality is eventually re-coded into the
> server end instead of being an X-client it will avoid the
> authentication problem and the default can be changed to 'enabled' in
> all cases.
>
> Discuss?

Done. See the archives of this week. Actually this recode was the
starting point for this thread.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* Re: Clipboard configuration
@ 2004-01-08 17:00     ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-08 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Sam,

Sam Edge wrote:
> Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote in
> <3FFD70AB.4080100@msu.edu>
> in gmane.os.cygwin.xfree on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:00:59 -0500:
>

>>Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>>
>>>A good configuration option is no configuration option :-)
>>>Is there any reason not to make -clipboard default for XWin once the
>>>current round of changes are out of the door?
>>>In the past xwinclip crashed intermittantly and it clobbered the clipboard, so -clipboard
>>>not being default made sense.
>>
>>I have already been thinking about it.
>>I'll eventually make -clipboard the default and add a -noclipboard
>>option to disable it.
>>That is what we have typically done for all features that newly reach
>>stabililty.
>

> It could be argued that if the -query or -broadcast option is also
> being used the default should remain -noclipboard.
>
> Most (remote) display managers turn on X authentication and prevent
> the internal clipboard client from connecting to its own Cygwin/X
> server. This results in the client wasting its time doing it's
> start-up retries. This isn't a huge waste - more a niggle.

Really... huh... I guess that's why I call GenerateAuthorization within
the server to create an MIT MAGIC COOKIE, then I call XSetAuthorization
in the clipboard thread to pass that cookie to the server when using
Xdmcp?  :)  You must not have been reading the change logs too closely :)

> If the inter-clipboard functionality is eventually re-coded into the
> server end instead of being an X-client it will avoid the
> authentication problem and the default can be changed to 'enabled' in
> all cases.

No, the clipboard functionality will always need a client connection to
perform conversions of text with Xlib.  I talked to Keith Packard about
this... he has frequently used internal clients running in separate
threads to perform such tasks... it is essentially an accepted practice.
  You do, however, have to go one step further than we had gone before
and handle authorization issues if you want to use it with Xdmcp.  That
has now been done.

Harold

* Re: Clipboard configuration
@ 2004-01-09  9:00       ` Sam Edge
From: Sam Edge @ 2004-01-09  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote in
<3FFD8C8B.4080408@msu.edu>
in gmane.os.cygwin.xfree on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:59:55 -0500:

> [Sam Edge wrote:]
> > Most (remote) display managers turn on X authentication and prevent
> > the internal clipboard client from connecting to its own Cygwin/X
> > server. This results in the client wasting its time doing it's
> > start-up retries. This isn't a huge waste - more a niggle.
>
> Really... huh... I guess that's why I call GenerateAuthorization within
> the server to create an MIT MAGIC COOKIE, then I call XSetAuthorization
> in the clipboard thread to pass that cookie to the server when using
> Xdmcp?  :)

Bugger. For some reason I was running an older version of Xwin.exe
when I checked. Sorry.

> You must not have been reading the change logs too closely :)

You've found me out! ;-)

Anyway. As you were, gang. (And thanks again for a thoughoughly
excellent piece of software.)

Regards,
--
Sam Edge