* Setting up cvs on Windows 2000
@ 2003-01-13  3:30 Melonie Brown
From: Melonie Brown @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Environment: Windows 2000, sp3

I downloaded and installed cygwin.
I followed the steps outlined in
http://www.adamswann.com/library/2001/Cygwin-Inetd.html
From the cygwin prompt, I can create repositories, check in, check out
files, etc.  I can telnet remotely to that system and connect with my
system login and password (not to cvs - just the system). That all seems
to work just fine.

The problem is in trying to set up my system to behave as a cvs server
with pserver.  If I do a "telnet localhost 2401", I get
"connected to [computername]
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host"

I'm not getting a prompt to login, authorization failures or anything
along those lines.  It just doesn't work - which leads me to believe
that I'm missing an important configuration step.  Suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.  I have scoured the archives and google and just
don't see what I'm missing.

Please help.

Melonie Brown

* Re: Setting up cvs on Windows 2000
@ 2003-01-13  3:30 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Melonie Brown, cygwin

At 05:18 PM 1/12/2003, Melonie Brown wrote:
>Environment: Windows 2000, sp3
>
>I downloaded and installed cygwin.
>I followed the steps outlined in
>http://www.adamswann.com/library/2001/Cygwin-Inetd.html

That's fine if that's what you want to do but you should realize the
following:

   1. The directions you used are not from the Cygwin site.  We can't
      validate or support information that doesn't come from the Cygwin
      site.  If you have questions about the information given by this
      site, you should contact the site's creator directly.  If you think
      the information at this site is useful and should be available at
      the Cygwin site so this list can support it, please ask the owner
      to provide this documentation to the Cygwin project.

   2. There is documentation that come with Cygwin's inetutils
      (/usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README) which describes the inetutils
      installation.  Questions/issues you have about this documentation can
      be directed to this list.

As a matter of general operation, this list doesn't entertain inquiries
about other sites' information, even if the information is related to
Cygwin.

#####
#####
#####

* Re: Setting up cvs on Windows 2000
@ 2003-01-13  3:30 ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Melonie Brown

> The problem is in trying to set up my system to behave as a cvs server
> with pserver.  If I do a "telnet localhost 2401", I get
> "connected to [computername]
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host"

When you telnet to port 2401 (the pserver) your not supposed to actually get
a login prompt like telnet or ftp gives you. The pserver will just wait for
the auth protocol. What happens when you try `cvs -d
:pserver:USER@SERVER:/path/to/cvsroot login'?

If that doesn't work you may have a mis-configuration... How did you set up
inetd? Here's my cvspserver directive in inetd.conf:

  cvspserver stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/cvs cvs --allow-root=/repos/cvs
pserver

Also have you added the following to your
C:WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\services?

  cvspserver       2401/tcp

Elfyn
elfyn@exposure.org.uk

* Re: Setting up cvs on Windows 2000
@ 2003-01-13  3:30   ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Elfyn, Melonie,

Unless something has changed that escaped my attention, what has repeatedly
been stated here (though no time very recently) is that Cygwin CVS does not
support the "pserver" access mode. The recommendation has been to use the
"external" access mode via SSH.

If that has changed, it would be nice, but as I said, I haven't heard about it.

Randall Schulz

@ 2003-01-13  4:18   ` Melonie Brown
From: Melonie Brown @ 2003-01-13  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Elfwyn,

Thanks for the speedy reply! Based on some of the other posts in the
mailing list, I was indeed expecting to see some sort of prompt when I
telnetted.

If I try the cvs -d :pserver:USER@SERVER:/path/to/cvsroot login' command
as you suggested, I get prompted for the login id and password (which
are subsequently rejected), but that's another problem in and of
itself...  So it looks like my setup was correct after all.

Melonie

@ 2003-01-13 18:50 Fred Kulack
From: Fred Kulack @ 2003-01-13 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

For what its worth (perhaps nothing) based on other comments about this
working
sometimes...
I got cygwin CVS working using the pserver protocol with no heroic efforts.
Not having
used CVS before, I could have done something heroic and didn't even know
it, but I
doubt it.  8-).

1) I set the CVSROOT, CVSPASSWORD environment variables
2) Seem to recall needing to fully qualify the hostname in CVSROOT, i.e.
export CVSROOT=:pserver:kulack@foobarcvs.mydomain.ibm.com:/cvs/repos/foobar
3) cvs login

I pretty extensively use the eclipse CVS plugin, but the cygwin stuff I use
for
batch changes and I've done more than a few checkouts/updates/commits
with no problems thus far. Several others on my team have had good luck as
well.
I'm running XP Professional, some of my teammates are on Win2000.

> cvs --version
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11 (client/server)
Copyright (c) 1989-2000 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
                        Jeff Polk, and other authors
CVS may be copied only under the terms of the GNU General Public License,
a copy of which can be found with the CVS distribution kit.
Specify the --help option for further information about CVS

"The stuff we call "software" is not like anything that human society
  is used to thinking about. Software is something like a machine, and
  something like mathematics, and something like language, and
  something like thought, and art, and information...
  but software is not in fact any of those other things."
Bruce Sterling - The Hacker Crackdown

Fred A. Kulack - IBM eServer iSeries - Enterprise Application Solutions
ERP, Java DB2 access, Jdbc, JTA, etc...
IBM in Rochester, MN  (Phone: 507.253.5982   T/L 553-5982)
mailto:kulack@us.ibm.com   Personal: mailto:kulack@magnaspeed.net
AIM Home:FKulack  AIM Work:FKulackWrk
MSN Work: fakulack@hotmail.com

                      Randall R Schulz
                      <rrschulz@cris.co        To:       cygwin@cygwin.com
                      m>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Setting up cvs on Windows 2000
                      cygwin-owner@cygw
                      in.com

                      01/12/2003 07:19
                      PM

Elfyn,

I neglected to mention that it has also been reported that some, through
heroic effort, have managed to get pserver working. Details of their
arduousness were not reported, however.

Searching for "CVS," "pserver," "external" and / or "SSH" will help you
zero in on the pertinent messages to the Cygwin mailing list.

It's possible that ongoing improvements in Cygwin have made pserver work
(with less effort). Since I know nothing of the problems that impaired
pserver function, I can only offer this as a guess.

Randall Schulz

@ 2003-01-13 18:29 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-01-13 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Elfyn McBratney wrote:

> > Unless something has changed that escaped my attention, what
> > has repeatedly been stated here (though no time very recently)
> > is that Cygwin CVS does not support the "pserver" access
> > mode. The recommendation has been to use the "external"
> > access mode via SSH.
>
> Aaaah I didn't know that :( The reason I offered help is because I have had
> a pserver working on my local machine for about a week now. And although I
> haven't had the time to test it extensively cvs login,checkout,commit etc.
> seems to be working reasonably well. I don't think I'm doing anything out of
> the ordinary so i wonder why it's working for me ;-)
> Elfyn
> elfyn@exposure.org.uk

"Not knowing it was impossible, he did it." -- J.J.Rousseau
Sorry, couldn't resist. :-D
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune

* Re: Setting up cvs on Windows 2000
@ 2003-01-13  4:48 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2003-01-13  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)