* too many level of symbolic links
@ 2022-02-17  8:46 Andreas Heckel
From: Andreas Heckel @ 2022-02-17  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a network drive mapped like
//hostname/share --> p:

When trying to access the network drive via cygwin I get:

$ ls /cygdrive/p
ls: cannot open directory '/cygdrive/p': Too many levels of symbolic links

Accessing the network share directly via //hostname/share works as normal.

I have been using cygwin a long time but this is the first time this happens. My machine and our servers got recently updated, so I can't really pinpoint the reason for this behaviour now.

Any hints / advice how to resolve this?

Cheers, Andreas

* Re: too many level of symbolic links
@ 2022-02-17 10:05 ` Oskar Skog
From: Oskar Skog @ 2022-02-17 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2022-02-17 10:46, Andreas Heckel wrote:
> I have a network drive mapped like
> //hostname/share --> p:
>
> When trying to access the network drive via cygwin I get:
>
> $ ls /cygdrive/p
> ls: cannot open directory '/cygdrive/p': Too many levels of symbolic links
>
> Accessing the network share directly via //hostname/share works as normal.
>
> I have been using cygwin a long time but this is the first time this happens. My machine and our servers got recently updated, so I can't really pinpoint the reason for this behaviour now.
>
> Any hints / advice how to resolve this?
>
> Cheers, Andreas

Are you running the newest version of Cygwin (3.3.4)?, there have been
a similar issue to yours in the previous version that should have been
fixed.

* RE: too many level of symbolic links
@ 2022-02-17 10:41   ` Andreas Heckel
From: Andreas Heckel @ 2022-02-17 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On 2022-02-17 10:46, Andreas Heckel wrote:
> > I have a network drive mapped like
> > //hostname/share --> p:
> >
> > When trying to access the network drive via cygwin I get:
> >
> > $ ls /cygdrive/p
> > ls: cannot open directory '/cygdrive/p': Too many levels of symbolic
> links
> >
> > Accessing the network share directly via //hostname/share works as
> normal.
> >
> > I have been using cygwin a long time but this is the first time this
> happens. My machine and our servers got recently updated, so I can't
> really pinpoint the reason for this behaviour now.
> >
> > Any hints / advice how to resolve this?
> >
> > Cheers, Andreas
> >

> Are you running the newest version of Cygwin (3.3.4)?, there have been
> a similar issue to yours in the previous version that should have been
> fixed.

Just to be certain, I ran setup again. There are currently no pending updates.

3472k 2022/01/31 C:\cygwin64\bin\cygwin1.dll
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 3.3.4

* Re: too many level of symbolic links
@ 2022-02-17 12:00     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-02-17 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb 17 11:41, Andreas Heckel wrote:

> > Of Oskar Skog
> > Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2022 11:05 AM
> > Subject: Re: too many level of symbolic links
> >
> > On 2022-02-17 10:46, Andreas Heckel wrote:
> > > I have a network drive mapped like
> > > //hostname/share --> p:
> > >
> > > When trying to access the network drive via cygwin I get:
> > >
> > > $ ls /cygdrive/p
> > > ls: cannot open directory '/cygdrive/p': Too many levels of symbolic
> > links
> > >
> > > Accessing the network share directly via //hostname/share works as
> > normal.
> > >
> > > I have been using cygwin a long time but this is the first time this
> > happens. My machine and our servers got recently updated, so I can't
> > really pinpoint the reason for this behaviour now.
> > >
> > > Any hints / advice how to resolve this?
> > >
> > > Cheers, Andreas
> > >

> > Are you running the newest version of Cygwin (3.3.4)?, there have been
> > a similar issue to yours in the previous version that should have been
> > fixed.
> >

> Just to be certain, I ran setup again. There are currently no pending updates.
>
> 3472k 2022/01/31 C:\cygwin64\bin\cygwin1.dll
>     Cygwin DLL version info:
>         DLL version: 3.3.4

There was YA patch necessary to fix this regression
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=commitdiff;h=71d5490a3a2d
and that patch isn't in 3.3.4.  Please test the latest (2022-02-17)
Cygwin snapshot DLL from https://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Thanks,
Corinna

* RE: too many level of symbolic links
@ 2022-02-17 12:41       ` Andreas Heckel

> > > links

> > > normal.

> > > happens. My machine and our servers got recently updated, so I can't
> > > really pinpoint the reason for this behaviour now.

> > > Are you running the newest version of Cygwin (3.3.4)?, there have been
> > > a similar issue to yours in the previous version that should have been
> > > fixed.
> > >

> > Just to be certain, I ran setup again. There are currently no pending
> updates.
> >
> > 3472k 2022/01/31 C:\cygwin64\bin\cygwin1.dll
> >     Cygwin DLL version info:
> >         DLL version: 3.3.4
>
> There was YA patch necessary to fix this regression
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-
> cygwin.git;a=commitdiff;h=71d5490a3a2d
> and that patch isn't in 3.3.4.  Please test the latest (2022-02-17)
> Cygwin snapshot DLL from https://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Confirmed, snapshot version of cygwin1.dll solves the issue. :)

Thanks,
Andreas