* unlink does not remove named pipe
@ 2020-04-17  8:26 sten.kristian.ivarsson
From: sten.kristian.ivarsson @ 2020-04-17  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

If you're creating a lot's of named pipes in main process and in children
and then using unlink, some of the named pipe files are not removed from the
file system and no error is issued, i.e. unlink doesn't return -1

Kristian

* Re: unlink does not remove named pipe
@ 2020-04-17 11:09 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2020-04-17 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristian Ivarsson via Cygwin, cygwin

Greetings, Kristian Ivarsson via Cygwin!

> If you're creating a lot's of named pipes in main process and in children
> and then using unlink, some of the named pipe files are not removed from the
> file system and no error is issued, i.e. unlink doesn't return -1

Open file will not be immediately removed on Windows.
However, if the file was deleted successfully, consequent attempts at opening
it will fail.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: unlink does not remove named pipe
@ 2020-04-17 11:46 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2020-04-17 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Kristian,

On 4/17/2020 4:26 AM, Kristian Ivarsson via Cygwin wrote:
> If you're creating a lot's of named pipes in main process and in children
> and then using unlink, some of the named pipe files are not removed from the
> file system and no error is issued, i.e. unlink doesn't return -1

Thanks for the report.  As usual, a test case would be helpful.

Ken

* Sv: unlink does not remove named pipe
@ 2020-04-17 11:52   ` sten.kristian.ivarsson
From: sten.kristian.ivarsson @ 2020-04-17 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Greetings, Kristian Ivarsson via Cygwin!
>
> > If you're creating a lot's of named pipes in main process and in
> > children and then using unlink, some of the named pipe files are not
> > removed from the file system and no error is issued, i.e. unlink
> > doesn't return -1
>
> Open file will not be immediately removed on Windows.
> However, if the file was deleted successfully, consequent attempts at
> opening it will fail.

I guess you're right Andrey and it was just merely a delay in Windows,
because the link/file-counter seem to be 0 and it was just an observable
defect but not an practical defect (once I tested it in other ways, i.e.
fopen etc didn't act as it existed)

I'll come back if I encounter any practical/programatic problems with it

I'm sorry for not testing it properly before I did this "report"

Kristian