* Debugging Crash of setup-x86.exe?
@ 2020-10-05  3:21 Jason Gross
From: Jason Gross @ 2020-10-05  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest version of setup-x86.exe.  It used to
work fine for updating cygwin, but now no matter which mirror I
choose, it hangs after reaching 100% on downloading setup.zst and then
crashes after a couple of seconds.  I've made a video of this behavior
at https://youtu.be/1u-rg3_2HoI .

How should I go about debugging this?  (I'm on Windows 10.)

Thanks,
Jason

* Re: Debugging Crash of setup-x86.exe?
@ 2020-10-05 11:28 ` Mark Hansen
From: Mark Hansen @ 2020-10-05 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/4/2020 8:21 PM, Jason Gross via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded the latest version of setup-x86.exe.  It used to
> work fine for updating cygwin, but now no matter which mirror I
> choose, it hangs after reaching 100% on downloading setup.zst and then
> crashes after a couple of seconds.  I've made a video of this behavior
> at https://youtu.be/1u-rg3_2HoI .
>
> How should I go about debugging this?  (I'm on Windows 10.)
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Shouldn't you be using the setup-x86_64.exe? Reading the information on the
download page, it says the 32-bit cygwin is still available when really
necessary, but it may have problems.

* Re: Debugging Crash of setup-x86.exe?
@ 2020-10-05 14:04   ` Jason Gross
From: Jason Gross @ 2020-10-05 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hansen; +Cc: cygwin

I'll try disabling AV and report back, thanks for the advice.  The reason
I'm using 32-bit is because, last I checked (this might have been a year or
two ago, so my info might be out of date), there were some OCaml or opam
packages that only worked with 32-bit cygwin.

@ 2020-10-09 12:29     ` David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2020-10-09 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin'; +Cc: 'Jason Gross', Mark Hansen

Jason Gross wrote:
> I'll try disabling AV and report back, thanks for the advice.  The reason
> I'm using 32-bit is because, last I checked (this might have been a year
> or two ago, so my info might be out of date), there were some OCaml or
> opam packages that only worked with 32-bit cygwin.

This is correct - OCaml has been broken on 64-bit Cygwin for a while,
however the forthcoming FlexDLL 0.39 and OCaml 4.12.0 releases (later this
year) restore 64-bit support.

David