* Availability for test: perl-5.6.1-1
@ 2000-12-22  0:11 Eric Fifer
From: Eric Fifer @ 2000-12-22  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have just uploaded perl-5.6.1-1 to sourceware -- it should be on the
mirrors
soon.  perl is marked as a 'test' release, so you may have to specifically
select it in setup to install (see INSTALLATION below).

This TEST release is based on perl-5.6.1-TRIAL1:

Despite being a TRIAL and not recommended for production systems,
it has many bug fixes since 5.6.0 and passes 100% of the test
suite.  The final perl-5.6.1 release is not expected until late
January, so this may be a prolonged test phase.

Be sure to read the /usr/doc/Cygwin/perl-5.6.1.README for details about
this release.  In particular, it already includes the Bundle::CPAN
modules so you can quickly start downloading from CPAN.

INSTALLATION:

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://www.cygwin.com web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Run setup and answer all of the questions.

*** PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, choose a mirror site for your download ***

even if it might take a while until this new archive is propagated
to the mirrors.  The 'sources.redhat.com' site is badly overloaded.
The mirrors below will probably have the latest version of this
package fairly soon:

  ftp://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu/pub/cygwin/ (US)
  ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/mirrors/cygnus/
    (Germany)
  ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/pc/cygwin/ (Greece)

To install this TEST version of perl you will have to tell setup.exe to
specifically install it by clicking on the Exp (experimental) button
and possibly the arrows to the left of the perl package line.

Happy Holidays,

Eric Fifer

* Re: Availability for test: perl-5.6.1-1
@ 2000-12-23 20:48 ` Jerome BENOIT
From: Jerome BENOIT @ 2000-12-23 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egf7; +Cc: cygwin

Bonjour:

Where are the man pages ?

Merry Xmas

@ 2000-12-23 23:10   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-12-23 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome BENOIT; +Cc: egf7, cygwin

Use perldoc instead.  The man pages are redundant and take up 2M extra
download space.  Ditto the html documentation.

--Chuck

@ 2000-12-25 20:23 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-12-25 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egf7; +Cc: cygwin

Eric -

perl-5.6.1-1 seems to work okay here (just rudimentary tests).  I've
even removed the cygutils perl from my system.  Also, the -src package
is GREAT.  It contains everything you'd need to rebuild this perl from
scratch, including all the CPAN sources, build logs, build-scripts, etc
etc.  Perfect!

--Chuck

@ 2000-12-27 11:13 Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2000-12-27 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

After upgrading from CW's 5.6.0, I'm having trouble with automake (or
autoconf, not entirely sure at this point).  It doesn't seem to be
recognizing line continuations anymore.

E.g., in my makefile.am I have this:

DEFS
= -DUSE_LINKER_HEAP -DNO_FLOATS -D__8_BIT_ASCII_WANTED -DCOMPILE_ISALPHA -DC
OMPILE_ISUPPER \
	-DCOMPILE_ISLOWER -DCOMPILE_ISDIGIT -DCOMPILE_ISSPACE -DCOMPILE_ISPUNCT -DC
OMPILE_ISALNUM \
	-DCOMPILE_ISPRINT -DCOMPILE_ISGRAPH -DCOMPILE_ISCNTRL -DCOMPILE_ISXDIGIT

But in the generated makefile, all I get is this:
DEFS
= -DUSE_LINKER_HEAP -DNO_FLOATS -D__8_BIT_ASCII_WANTED -DCOMPILE_ISALPHA -DC
OMPILE_ISUPPER \
subdir = DXPCRT  <<==== Clearly not right, '\' was ignored
mkinstalldirs = $(SHELL) $(top_srcdir)/mkinstalldirs
(much further down, all by it's lonesome:)

	-DCOMPILE_ISLOWER -DCOMPILE_ISDIGIT -DCOMPILE_ISSPACE -DCOMPILE_ISPUNCT -DC
OMPILE_ISALNUM \
	-DCOMPILE_ISPRINT -DCOMPILE_ISGRAPH -DCOMPILE_ISCNTRL -DCOMPILE_ISXDIGIT

(now how in the heck is it getting *there*?)

Five'll get you ten it's yet another CR/LF vs. LF vs. CR issue.  It blows my
mind that someone doesn't use LF/CR too, just to make the madness complete.

Gary R. Van Sickle (tiberius@braemarinc.com)
Braemar Inc.
11481 Rupp Dr.
Burnsville, MN 55337