* Re: Another less/rxvt prob: Not interpreting <backspace>?
@ 2002-11-21  2:23 fergus
From: fergus @ 2002-11-21  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: jtiller, fergus

> The suggested solution was:
> stty erase ^H
> I modifed that to fit my situation and tried:
> stty erase ^?
> This might have unexpected side effects in other
> programs, but at least not in bash which puts the
> tty into raw mode (by way of readline).
> Anybody know if I should expect untoward consequences
> by putting 'stty erase ^?' in my .bash_profile?

If you are not totally happy about the 'stty erase blah' approach to solving
your problem, you could try adding the switch '-backspacekey ^H' to your
rxvt command line, so that it reads <something like>

C:\Cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -geometry 80x58+0+0 -tn cygwin -backspacekey ^H -e
/bin/bash --login -i

(I've got ^H not ^?.) This works fine for me in all contexts including the
one mentioned by you (editing a search string) and I haven't got the phrase
'stty anything' in .bash_profile (or .bashrc or ...).

Fergus

* RE: Another less/rxvt prob: Not interpreting <backspace>?
@ 2002-11-21  6:44 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-11-21  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Tackett, Galen wrote:

> > If you are not totally happy about the 'stty erase blah' approach to
> > solving your problem, you could try adding the switch '-backspacekey
> > ^H' to your rxvt command line, so that it reads <something like>
>
> > C:\Cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -geometry 80x58+0+0 -tn cygwin -backspacekey ^H -e /bin/bash --login -i
>
> I hope this won't be just reiterating something everyone already knew, but--
>
> If you'd like to shorten up that command line you can also put the following
> in ~/.Xdefaults:
>
> *backspacekey: ^H
>
> (The asterisk is required.)
>
> Here's an excerpt from the rxvt manpage:
>
> --begin excerpt--
>
> backspacekey: string
>               The string  to  send  when  the  backspace  key  is
>               pressed.   If  set  to  DEC  or  unset it will send
>               Delete (code 127) or, if shifted,  Backspace  (code
>               8) - which can be reversed with the appropriate DEC
>               private mode escape sequence.
>
> --end excerpt--
>
> For fuller documentation of rxvt (including many more resource settings)
> take a look at:
>
> http://www-ucjf.troja.mff.cuni.cz/cgi-bin/dwww?type=man&location=/usr/share/man/man1/rxvt.1.gz

Does this mean the rxvt termcap/terminfo entries are incorrect?  If rxvt
sends ^? for backspace by default, shouldn't the termcap/terminfo entries
reflect that and interpret ^? as <backspace>?  If this only happens in
W11 mode, should the rxvt-cygwin-native entry be corrected?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51

* RE: Another less/rxvt prob: Not interpreting <backspace>?
@ 2002-11-21  6:37 Tackett, Galen
From: Tackett, Galen @ 2002-11-21  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2002-11-20 17:15 ` Jason Tiller
From: Jason Tiller @ 2002-11-20 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi, Sergei, :)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Sergei Okhapkin wrote:

> Because I have almost the same backspace problem when /bin/sh is
> running inside Windows version of rxvt. I have no problems with
> /bin/bash or when rxvt is running in X-Window mode.

That seems reasonable.  Did it work for you?

I did a little scrounging via Google and saw a message that referred
to something *very* similar - instead of <backspace> producing '^?',
it produced '^H'.  The suggested solution was:

stty erase ^H

I modifed that to fit my situation and tried:

stty erase ^?

This seems to have solved my problem because now 'less' properly
interprets <backspace>.  The post from which I (gratefully) stole this
information (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/1999-07/msg00203.html)
ended with this caveat:

====>
<====

Anybody know if I should expect untoward consequences by putting
'stty erase ^?' in my .bash_profile?

Thanks!

---Jason

@ 2002-11-20 17:09 Sergei Okhapkin