* info files
@ 1999-11-19  7:44 Carson Wilcox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carson Wilcox @ 1999-11-19  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This is probably a dumb question, but is there a tool
to read .info files, or just a text editor.From
looking at them I am assuming there is a tool of some
type.

Thanks,
Carson
crwfl@yahoo.com

* RE: info files
@ 1999-11-19  9:39 ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 1999-11-19  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carson Wilcox, cygwin

You must use the "info" program to read .info files. You might download it
from
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin/ports/info-2.18-cygb20
.exe.gz

Please note that you'll have to create "dir" files on each info directory in
order for "info" to know which page to display. AFAIK you have to create
them manually... I really hope I'm wrong, somebody _please_ correct me ;)
The syntax is very simple, I'm attaching one I use here. For each set of
info files, you must create a line similar to the one below, and put inside
the parenthesis the name of the "master" info file, without the ".info". For
example, for gcc, the info files are named gcc.info-*, and your entry should
look like

* GCC: (gcc).   Information about the gcc Compiler

The text outisde the parenthesis is arbitrary.

You might also have to create an environment variable INFOPATH containing
all your info directories separated by colons.

TIP: once running "info", type "?" to get get help.

HTH,

Regards,

Andre
--
André Oliveira da Costa
(costa@cade.com.br)

[-- Attachment #2: dir --]

* RE: info files [OOPS!]
@ 1999-11-19  9:45   ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 1999-11-19  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carson Wilcox, cygwin

Sorry, when I attached the "dir" file, M$ Outlook renamed it to dir.dat, for
some obscure reason... (damn M$ tools =T ) The correct name for the file is
simply "dir".

Regards,

Costa

[...]

* Re: info files
@ 1999-11-19 10:20 ` Doug Wyatt
From: Doug Wyatt @ 1999-11-19 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carson Wilcox, cygwin

You'll want to get texinfo-4_0_tar.gz from the gnu site,
and build and install it.

Regards,
Doug Wyatt

> This is probably a dumb question, but is there a tool
> to read .info files, or just a text editor.From
> looking at them I am assuming there is a tool of some
> type.
>

> Thanks,
> Carson
> crwfl@yahoo.com

* RE: info files
@ 1999-11-19 10:38   ` Doug Wyatt
From: Doug Wyatt @ 1999-11-19 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carson Wilcox, cygwin

Hmm,  I built from the gnu source w/o much trouble - it includes
the info.info files and builds a utility called install-info.exe which
you can use to create and update the 'dir' files.

Regards,
Doug Wyatt

> You must use the "info" program to read .info files. You might download it
> from
> ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin/ports/info-2.18-cygb20
> .exe.gz
>
> Please note that you'll have to create "dir" files on each info directory in
> order for "info" to know which page to display. AFAIK you have to create
> them manually... I really hope I'm wrong, somebody _please_ correct me ;)
> The syntax is very simple, I'm attaching one I use here. For each set of
> info files, you must create a line similar to the one below, and put inside
> the parenthesis the name of the "master" info file, without the ".info". For
> example, for gcc, the info files are named gcc.info-*, and your entry should
> look like
>
> * GCC: (gcc).   Information about the gcc Compiler
>
> The text outisde the parenthesis is arbitrary.
>
> You might also have to create an environment variable INFOPATH containing
> all your info directories separated by colons.
>
> TIP: once running "info", type "?" to get get help.
>
> HTH,
>
> Regards,
>
> Andre
> --
> André Oliveira da Costa
> (costa@cade.com.br)

* RE: info files
@ 1999-11-19 11:18   ` Brian Jones
From: Brian Jones @ 1999-11-19 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Emacs reads info files just fine as well, so if you already have that, use
it.  I think it is easier to use than 'info' anyway.  You can go through the
tutorial on using emacs info via 'C-h i' and selecting "Info" with the mouse
or cursor and the rest is explained in the tutorial.

Emacs command: C-u C-h i
Specify the info file, such as: gmake.info.gz

Brian

* Re: info files
@ 1999-11-30 23:39   ` Doug Wyatt
From: Doug Wyatt @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carson Wilcox, cygwin

You'll want to get texinfo-4_0_tar.gz from the gnu site,
and build and install it.

Regards,
Doug Wyatt

> This is probably a dumb question, but is there a tool
> to read .info files, or just a text editor.From
> looking at them I am assuming there is a tool of some
> type.
>

> Thanks,
> Carson
> crwfl@yahoo.com

* RE: info files
@ 1999-11-30 23:39     ` Brian Jones
From: Brian Jones @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Emacs reads info files just fine as well, so if you already have that, use
it.  I think it is easier to use than 'info' anyway.  You can go through the
tutorial on using emacs info via 'C-h i' and selecting "Info" with the mouse
or cursor and the rest is explained in the tutorial.

Emacs command: C-u C-h i
Specify the info file, such as: gmake.info.gz

Brian

* info files
@ 1999-11-30 23:39 ` Carson Wilcox
From: Carson Wilcox @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This is probably a dumb question, but is there a tool
to read .info files, or just a text editor.From
looking at them I am assuming there is a tool of some
type.

Thanks,
Carson
crwfl@yahoo.com

* RE: info files
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-11-30 23:39   ` Andre Oliveira da Costa
From: Andre Oliveira da Costa @ 1999-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carson Wilcox, cygwin

You must use the "info" program to read .info files. You might download it
from
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin/ports/info-2.18-cygb20
.exe.gz

Please note that you'll have to create "dir" files on each info directory in
order for "info" to know which page to display. AFAIK you have to create
them manually... I really hope I'm wrong, somebody _please_ correct me ;)
The syntax is very simple, I'm attaching one I use here. For each set of
info files, you must create a line similar to the one below, and put inside
the parenthesis the name of the "master" info file, without the ".info". For
example, for gcc, the info files are named gcc.info-*, and your entry should
look like

* GCC: (gcc).   Information about the gcc Compiler

The text outisde the parenthesis is arbitrary.

You might also have to create an environment variable INFOPATH containing
all your info directories separated by colons.

TIP: once running "info", type "?" to get get help.

HTH,

Regards,

Andre
--