* Corinna pls read RE: Asynchronous DNS - gethostbyname_r
@ 2001-04-22 16:24 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-04-22 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm not sure if I ever answered this.

Yes Squid does have an implementation of a resolver. Its recently had
file lookup capability added to it. It's not 1-1 to resolver (3), but
it's not far off.

Rob

* Re: Corinna pls read RE: Asynchronous DNS - gethostbyname_r
@ 2001-04-23  0:56 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-04-23  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 09:17:27AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> I'm not sure if I ever answered this.
>
> Yes Squid does have an implementation of a resolver. Its recently had
> file lookup capability added to it. It's not 1-1 to resolver (3), but
> it's not far off.

Is it or could it become a separate lib?

Corinna

* Re: Corinna pls read RE: Asynchronous DNS - gethostbyname_r
@ 2001-04-23  1:01   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-04-23  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen, cygwin

Short answer yes and yes.

Background:
squid started its life doing dns lookups via a farm of helper processs.
The core interface within squid stayed the same when the new rfc1035
code was directly implemented. the only change was that the helper farm
went away and calls to the new library were used. I don't know how
closely the library corresponds to resolve(3).

Look at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/squid/squid/lib/rfc1035.c
?rev=1.1.1.2.2.1.6.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup for the
source.

It's pure GPL, not LPGL.

Rob

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 09:17:27AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> > I'm not sure if I ever answered this.
> >
> > Yes Squid does have an implementation of a resolver. Its recently
had
> > file lookup capability added to it. It's not 1-1 to resolver (3),
but
> > it's not far off.
>
> Is it or could it become a separate lib?
>
> Corinna
>
> --

* AW: Corinna pls read RE: Asynchronous DNS - gethostbyname_r
@ 2001-04-23  2:07     ` Ralf Habacker
From: Ralf Habacker @ 2001-04-23  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin