* RCS 5.7 problems...
@ 2001-07-02 21:40 Gary
From: Gary @ 2001-07-02 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello All,

I've been trying to build RCS 5.7 under 1.3.2 cygwin and am having what
seems to be some sort of internal RCS or cygwin problem.  I've managed to
configure & build the subsystem just fine -- with or without the patches
that have been posted and have the same problem either way.... although I
never did find the "obsure inner function" message posted by corinna that
was mentioned.

In several cases the "ci" command destroys the RCS file itself on check-in.
It leaves a huge chunk out of the source in the ,v file.  This is very
repeatable WHEN it happens to a file, but it does not happen on a "ci" to
every file, only "select" ones.  It happens regardless of whether the mount
is binary or text.  The insidious part is that unless you check the size of
the ,v file you don't know it's happened until you check the file out the
next time and most of it's not there -- only to realize that you just
blitzed the good copy you HAD.

IE, start with a ,v file of size 2635 bytes, do a "co -l", make a minor
change, do a "ci -u".  ,v file size is now 1440 bytes.  If you "co -l" again
you only get half the orginal file.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this?  I've got an old copy of the FSF
DOS version of the RCS 5.7 programs and they don't exhibit this problem.
I'm running Win2k SP2 on a Pentium Pro 200... nothing exotic.  A system
search yields exactly one cygwin DLL dated 20 May @ 22:29.  This machine has
never had cygwin on it before 1.3.2.

*ANY* help and/or advice would be appreciated.

If someone has RCS working I'd happily trade one of my problem RCS files &
test script for their executables in an attempt to narrow the scope of the
problem.

Thanks,
Gary

---------- Remove -nospam before mailing -----------
Gary L. Filipski, gfilipski-nospam@satx.rr.com
Effective Software Systems
PO Box 701141
San Antonio, TX  78270
(210) 494-0635

* RE: RCS 5.7 problems...
@ 2001-07-03 12:32 John Wiersba
From: John Wiersba @ 2001-07-03 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gary', John Wiersba, cygwin

$ cygcheck -s

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Tue Jul  3 15:31:22 2001

WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 6

Path:	/usr/bin
	/usr/local/bin
	/jrw/jrw/mdst/sh
	/jrw/binu
	/jrw/binw
	/opt/java/jdk/bin
	/opt/java/jre/1.2/bin
	.

SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: C:\WINNT

PWD = `/bin'
CYGWIN = `tty'
USER = `jrw'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
HOME = `/jrw'

Use `-r' to scan registry

a:  fd  FAT        1Mb  41% CP    UN
c:  hd  FAT     2044Mb  61% CP    UN           WINDOWS NT
d:  hd  NTFS   17046Mb  25% CP CS UN PA FC     Data
e:  cd           N/A    N/A
f:  fd           N/A    N/A
g:  net NWFS     900Mb  50% CP          FC     SYS
h:  net NWFS   29281Mb  53% CP          FC     MEDSTAT
j:  net NTFS   22001Mb  92% CP CS UN PA FC
m:  net NWFS   29281Mb  53% CP          FC     MEDSTAT
n:  net NWFS   39065Mb  90% CP          FC     MEDSTATN
o:  net NWFS   208364Mb  15% CP          FC     MEDSTAT
r:  net NTFS    2055Mb   6% CP CS UN PA FC
s:  net NWFS   208364Mb  19% CP          FC     MEDSTATS
t:  net NWFS   39065Mb  90% CP          FC     MEDSTATN
x:  net NWFS     900Mb  50% CP          FC     SYS
y:  net NWFS     900Mb  50% CP          FC     SYS

d:\cygwin\bin  /usr/bin  system  binmode
d:\cygwin\lib  /usr/lib  system  binmode
d:\cygwin  /        system  binmode
c:    /c       user    binmode,noumount
d:    /d       user    binmode,noumount
g:    /g       user    binmode,noumount
h:    /h       user    binmode,noumount
j:    /j       user    binmode,noumount
m:    /m       user    binmode,noumount
n:    /n       user    binmode,noumount
o:    /o       user    binmode,noumount
r:    /r       user    binmode,noumount
s:    /s       user    binmode,noumount
t:    /t       user    binmode,noumount
x:    /x       user    binmode,noumount
y:    /y       user    binmode,noumount

Found: .\bash.exe
Found: d:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
Found: .\cat.exe
Found: d:\cygwin\bin\cat.exe
Found: .\cpp.exe
Found: d:\cygwin\bin\cpp.exe
Found: .\find.exe
Found: d:\cygwin\bin\find.exe
Found: .\gcc.exe
Found: d:\cygwin\bin\gcc.exe
Found: .\gdb.exe
Found: d:\cygwin\bin\gdb.exe
Found: .\ld.exe
Found: d:\cygwin\bin\ld.exe
Found: .\ls.exe
Found: d:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
Found: .\make.exe
Found: d:\cygwin\bin\make.exe
Found: .\sh.exe
Found: d:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe

   56k 2000/12/03 .\cygbz21.0.dll
   45k 2001/04/25 .\cygform5.dll
   18k 2000/10/23 .\cyggdbm.dll
   17k 2001/01/07 .\cyghistory4.dll
   14k 2000/10/23 .\cygintl.dll
   81k 2000/12/05 .\cygitcl30.dll
   35k 2000/12/05 .\cygitk30.dll
   45k 2000/10/22 .\cygjbig1.dll
  119k 2001/06/06 .\cygjpeg6b.dll
   26k 2001/04/25 .\cygmenu5.dll
  156k 2001/04/25 .\cygncurses++5.dll
  226k 2001/04/25 .\cygncurses5.dll
   15k 2001/04/25 .\cygpanel5.dll
  163k 2001/05/06 .\cygpng2.dll
  108k 2001/01/07 .\cygreadline4.dll
  390k 2000/12/05 .\cygtcl80.dll
    5k 2000/12/05 .\cygtclpip80.dll
   10k 2000/12/05 .\cygtclreg80.dll
  245k 2001/06/12 .\cygtiff3.dll
  623k 2000/12/05 .\cygtk80.dll
   41k 2001/05/28 .\cygXpm-noX4.dll
   49k 2001/02/03 .\cygz.dll
  678k 2001/05/21 .\cygwin1.dll
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        dll major: 1003
        dll minor: 2
        dll epoch: 19
        dll bad signal mask: 19005
        dll old termios: 5
        dll malloc env: 28
        api major: 0
        api minor: 39
        shared data: 3
        dll identifier: cygwin1
        mount registry: 2
        cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        program options name: Program Options
        cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        cygdrive default prefix:
        build date: Sun May 20 23:28:17 EDT 2001
        shared id: cygwin1S3

[...]

   56k 2000/12/03 d:\cygwin\bin\cygbz21.0.dll
   45k 2001/04/25 d:\cygwin\bin\cygform5.dll
   18k 2000/10/23 d:\cygwin\bin\cyggdbm.dll
   17k 2001/01/07 d:\cygwin\bin\cyghistory4.dll
   14k 2000/10/23 d:\cygwin\bin\cygintl.dll
   81k 2000/12/05 d:\cygwin\bin\cygitcl30.dll
   35k 2000/12/05 d:\cygwin\bin\cygitk30.dll
   45k 2000/10/22 d:\cygwin\bin\cygjbig1.dll
  119k 2001/06/06 d:\cygwin\bin\cygjpeg6b.dll
   26k 2001/04/25 d:\cygwin\bin\cygmenu5.dll
  156k 2001/04/25 d:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses++5.dll
  226k 2001/04/25 d:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses5.dll
   15k 2001/04/25 d:\cygwin\bin\cygpanel5.dll
  163k 2001/05/06 d:\cygwin\bin\cygpng2.dll
  108k 2001/01/07 d:\cygwin\bin\cygreadline4.dll
  390k 2000/12/05 d:\cygwin\bin\cygtcl80.dll
    5k 2000/12/05 d:\cygwin\bin\cygtclpip80.dll
   10k 2000/12/05 d:\cygwin\bin\cygtclreg80.dll
  245k 2001/06/12 d:\cygwin\bin\cygtiff3.dll
  623k 2000/12/05 d:\cygwin\bin\cygtk80.dll
   41k 2001/05/28 d:\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-noX4.dll
   49k 2001/02/03 d:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll
  678k 2001/05/21 d:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        dll major: 1003
        dll minor: 2
        dll epoch: 19
        dll bad signal mask: 19005
        dll old termios: 5
        dll malloc env: 28
        api major: 0
        api minor: 39
        shared data: 3
        dll identifier: cygwin1
        mount registry: 2
        cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        program options name: Program Options
        cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        cygdrive default prefix:
        build date: Sun May 20 23:28:17 EDT 2001
        shared id: cygwin1S3

Use -h to see help about each section

* Re: RCS 5.7 problems...
@ 2001-07-03  8:16 ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2001-07-03  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiersba, cygwin

> [...]

> 37 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
>
> $ ci -t- asdf
> asdf,v  <--  asdf
> initial revision: 1.1
> done
>
> $ ls -l asdf*
> -r--r--r--    1 jrw      JRW          2635 Jul  3 08:13 asdf,v
>
> $ co -l asdf
> asdf,v  -->  asdf
> revision 1.1 (locked)
> done
>
> $ tail +2 asdf >fdsa
>
> $ cp -f fdsa asdf
>
> $ ci -u -mx asdf
> asdf,v  <--  asdf
> new revision: 1.2; previous revision: 1.1
> done
>
> $ ls -l asdf*
> -r--r--r--    1 jrw      JRW          2412 Jul  3 08:24 asdf
> -r--r--r--    1 jrw      JRW          1349 Jul  3 08:24 asdf,v

* Re: RCS 5.7 problems...
@ 2001-07-03  8:14   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2001-07-03  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiersba, Andrew Markebo; +Cc: cygwin

I don't think so...  for two reasons.

The FSF version of RCS 5.7 I have (from their DOS utils CDR of '98) expects
the DOS version line terminators... but it still works with files that have
just <LF> terminator.... the exception being that it finds that the entire
file changed (ie, every line has a different termination as far as it's
concerned so the entire file is "changed"....  but it still doesn't
"destroy" the RCS file.  (Ok, "destroy" may be a little strong... see below)

Secondly, I've looked at the ,v files "by hand" and tried it with both a
<CR><LF> terminator and without and done this on both binary mounts and text
mounts.  You get the same result.  The RCS ,v file has the correct structure
& syntax, it just looks like you only checked in the file with about the
first 1K bytes intact.... which is exactly what you get when you check it
out the next time.  It's almost like the 'ci' command is getting a premature
EOF when it's reading/copying from your changed file into the RCS file as
it's rebuilding it.

From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-07-03  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiersba; +Cc: 'Gary', cygwin

@ 2001-07-03  5:27 John Wiersba