* (Q)how to use perl in cygwin-b20?
@ 2000-06-13 21:51 Okehee Goh
From: Okehee Goh @ 2000-06-13 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm using cygwin-b20(I don't know the version of cygwin
installed in my computer.
The folder structure for this package is "C:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin".

I need to use perl.  However, the cygwin I have doesn't
include perl.
So, should I install perl-5.6.0-RCI on the current
cygwin?
To do that, I need to install RPM first of all.
The procedure looks complicated.

Is there any other way to upgrade everything at just one step
without paying to buy software?

Sorry if this question is too egoistic.

Okehee

 ********************************************************************  Okehee
Goh  RealTime System Lab.  (T) 1-352-392-6836  CISE
Dept.  University Of Florida

* Re: (Q)how to use perl in cygwin-b20?
@ 2000-06-13 22:06 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-06-13 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Okehee Goh; +Cc: cygwin

See my site, http://cygutils.netpedia.net/B20/ for a precompiled perl.
You don't need to install rpm to use my perl package; however, rpm is
useful with *one* of the three perl binaries on my site:

perl-5.005_62
  most recent development snapshot of perl that I compiled for B20
(newer binaries on my site, including perl-5.6.0, were built for V1.1 &
the CD). You can use rpm (also provided at cygutils) to install
precompiled extension modules.

perl-5.005_03-dynamic
  stable perl release. Includes various precompiled modules, dynamically
linked from the main perl.exe. You don't need rpm for this version.

perl-5.005_03-static.
  stable perl release. Includes precompiled modules statically linked
into perl.exe.

---------

Don't try to build perl-5.6.0-RCanything or the 5.6.0 release using B20;
it won't work. The latest perl uses features provided by the more recent
cygwin dlls. The latest version of perl that would compile with
cygwin-B20 was 5.005_62.

--Chuck

@ 2000-06-14 11:52   ` Okehee Goh
From: Okehee Goh @ 2000-06-14 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

Thanks for tips about B20's Perl .

My original folder structure for cygwin was like this:
C:\cygwin\cygwin-b20\etc
                                \H-i586-cygwin32\bin
                                \include
                                \share.

I placed all the new folder, /usr/local.., unpacked from
perl-5.005_03-dynamic
 under C:\cygwin\cygwin-b20\.
And then, I put new path including C:\cygwin\cygwin-b20\usr\local\bin at
cygnus.bat.

When I run perl for specific configuration file, it brought out the
following error,
"Can't locate Config.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/cygwin32 /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/cygwin32 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .)
 at ../src/build_tools/config_vm.pl line 27.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../src/build_tools/config_vm.pl line
27."

How can I adjust the library path in order to let them search
/c/cygwin/cygwin-b20/usr/local/lib instead of /usr/local/lib...?

Huh.., I don't have even "man" command to read *.man manual.

Thanks so much.