* Question on static Cygwin-hosted applications
@ 2006-07-25 15:05 Bill Gatliff
From: Bill Gatliff @ 2006-07-25 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Guys:

I'm in the odd place where I need a statically-linked GNU cross
toolchain that runs under Win32.  The idea is that I could then take my
toolchain directory and move it over to another Win32 machine that
doesn't have any special runtime environment previously installed and it
Should Just Work.

My understanding of Cygwin is that this isn't possible, was never
possible, won't ever be possible:

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-12/msg01150.html

... and I don't have a problem with that.  Really.  But as of today, is
this still true?

Regards,

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@billgatliff.com

* RE: Question on static Cygwin-hosted applications
@ 2006-07-25 15:22 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-07-25 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 25 July 2006 15:55, Bill Gatliff wrote:

  Hi Bill!

> I'm in the odd place where I need a statically-linked GNU cross
> toolchain that runs under Win32.  The idea is that I could then take my
> toolchain directory and move it over to another Win32 machine that
> doesn't have any special runtime environment previously installed and it
> Should Just Work.
>
> My understanding of Cygwin is that this isn't possible, was never
> possible, won't ever be possible:
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-12/msg01150.html
>
> ... and I don't have a problem with that.  Really.  But as of today, is
> this still true?

  Yep.  A dll is still a dynamic link library, and cygwin is still a dll, and
in fact innately relies on being one, in order to be able to rely on such
features as DllMain being called every time a thread starts or dies.

  You want to buid a mingw hosted compiler if you want it to run without
cygwin dll present.  You can do that under cygwin with configure arguments:

--host=i686-pc-mingw32 --target=${your_x_target} CC='gcc -mno-cygwin' CXX='g++
-mno-cygwin'

as the cygwin native gcc supports x-compilation to mingw.

    cheers,
      DaveK