* Permission request from "Translation for education"
@ 2012-07-17 17:21 Aram Agabekyan
From: Aram Agabekyan @ 2012-07-17 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hey there,

I am a student at the Department of Foreign Languages and at the same time
a volunteer at an organization named “Translation for Education”. I love
surfing on the Internet and being informed about the latest happenings
around me. Unfortunately, most of my fellow citizens don’t know English, so
that makes them feel somehow excluded from all this variety of useful info
from the Internet.
That was the reason that made me decide to start being a volunteer at such
an NGO. So I created a blog, where I post translations of some of the texts
that really caught my attention. Sometimes it’s a simple description of
some organization, and sometimes it might be a narrowly specialized
scientific article.
Don’t you think that I do that without authors’ permission! I do ask them
if they let me translate and then post the translation on my blog. And if
they don’t, then they don’t.
So I am asking you about the same, actually. Could you provide me the
permission to translate the article on page http://cygwin.com/faq.html into
Armenian, on condition that the translation is absolutely non-commercial
and I will mention and credit you as the author of the article, and put the
link to your source next to my translation too.

Hoping for your understanding and waiting for your answer!

Cheers,

Aram Agabekyan

* Re: Permission request from "Translation for education"
@ 2012-07-17 19:01 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-07-17 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 17 17:20, Aram Agabekyan wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I am a student at the Department of Foreign Languages and at the
> same time a volunteer at an organization named “Translation for
> Education”. I love surfing on the Internet and being informed about
> the latest happenings around me. Unfortunately, most of my fellow
> citizens don’t know English, so that makes them feel somehow
> excluded from all this variety of useful info from the Internet.
> That was the reason that made me decide to start being a volunteer
> at such an NGO. So I created a blog, where I post translations of
> some of the texts that really caught my attention. Sometimes it’s a
> simple description of some organization, and sometimes it might be a
> narrowly specialized scientific article.
> Don’t you think that I do that without authors’ permission! I do ask
> them if they let me translate and then post the translation on my
> blog. And if they don’t, then they don’t.
> So I am asking you about the same, actually. Could you provide me
> the permission to translate the article on page
> http://cygwin.com/faq.html into Armenian, on condition that the
> translation is absolutely non-commercial and I will mention and
> credit you as the author of the article, and put the link to your
> source next to my translation too.
>
> Hoping for your understanding and waiting for your answer!

Sounds interesting.  No problem at all.  It would just be nice if you
could post an URL to this list once your translation is finished.

Btw., I suggest to add the date of the translation.  The FAQs don't
change that often, but if they change, your translation might be
partially outdated without the readers being aware of it.

Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: Permission request from "Translation for education"
@ 2012-07-17 20:54   ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2012-07-17 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen sent the following at Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:01 PM
>On Jul 17 17:20, Aram Agabekyan wrote:
>> I am a student at the Department of Foreign Languages and at the
>> same time a volunteer at an organization named "Translation for
>> Education". I love surfing on the Internet and being informed about
>> the latest happenings around me. Unfortunately, most of my fellow
>> citizens don't know English, so that makes them feel somehow
>> excluded from all this variety of useful info from the Internet.
>> That was the reason that made me decide to start being a volunteer
>> at such an NGO. So I created a blog, where I post translations of
>> some of the texts that really caught my attention. Sometimes it's a
>> simple description of some organization, and sometimes it might be a
>> narrowly specialized scientific article.
>> Don't you think that I do that without authors' permission! I do ask
>> them if they let me translate and then post the translation on my
>> blog. And if they don't, then they don't.
>> So I am asking you about the same, actually. Could you provide me
>> the permission to translate the article on page
>> http://cygwin.com/faq.html into Armenian, on condition that the
>> translation is absolutely non-commercial and I will mention and
>> credit you as the author of the article, and put the link to your
>> source next to my translation too.
>>
>> Hoping for your understanding and waiting for your answer!
>
>Sounds interesting. No problem at all. It would just be nice if you
>could post an URL to this list once your translation is finished.
>
>Btw., I suggest to add the date of the translation. The FAQs don't
>change that often, but if they change, your translation might be
>partially outdated without the readers being aware of it.

Perhaps one could add the copyright-related text found on the User's
Guide and API Reference to the FAQ.  Or consider applying it to the
entire - or at least large sections of - the site?  It might avoid
future related questions.

- Barry