* Starting CMD from a bash shell with current directory on a mounted/network drive results in an incorrect current directory
@ 2021-12-13 10:53 john daintree
From: john daintree @ 2021-12-13 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello All,

I've just upgraded a machine from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Part of my work
process is now broken because when starting cmd from Cygwin with the current
directory on a mounted drive I get the following error/warning/issue:

/cygdrive/j$ cmd

'\\nas00.<redacted>\devt\users\johnd'

CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.

UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.348]

(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows>

The drive J: is mounted as something on our network (I've redacted a bit of
the path, for probably no good reason)

Is there a workaround? Or is this something that can be fixed in Cygwin?

Thanks

John.

* Re: Starting CMD from a bash shell with current directory on a mounted/network drive results in an incorrect current directory
@ 2021-12-13 11:06 ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2021-12-13 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 10:53:41 -0000
"john daintree" wrote:
> I've just upgraded a machine from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Part of my work
> process is now broken because when starting cmd from Cygwin with the current
> directory on a mounted drive I get the following error/warning/issue:
>

> /cygdrive/j$ cmd
>
> '\\nas00.<redacted>\devt\users\johnd'
>
> CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
>
> UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.348]
>
> (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>

> C:\Windows>
>

> The drive J: is mounted as something on our network (I've redacted a bit of
> the path, for probably no good reason)
>

> Is there a workaround? Or is this something that can be fixed in Cygwin?

Thanks for the report. This was already fixed recently in git head.

https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-December/250153.html
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-patches/2021q4/011583.html

Please wait for the next cygwin release or new developers snapshot.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

@ 2021-12-13 11:09   ` john daintree
From: john daintree @ 2021-12-13 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Takashi Yano', cygwin

Excellent news, thank you. I apologise if  I should have seen that
somewhere.

/John

@ 2021-12-13 15:06   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2021-12-13 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Dec 13 20:06, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 10:53:41 -0000
> "john daintree" wrote:
> > I've just upgraded a machine from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Part of my work
> > process is now broken because when starting cmd from Cygwin with the current
> > directory on a mounted drive I get the following error/warning/issue:
> >

> > /cygdrive/j$ cmd
> >
> > '\\nas00.<redacted>\devt\users\johnd'
> >
> > CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
> >
> > UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.
> >
> > Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.348]
> >
> > (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
> >

> > C:\Windows>
> >

> > The drive J: is mounted as something on our network (I've redacted a bit of
> > the path, for probably no good reason)
> >

> > Is there a workaround? Or is this something that can be fixed in Cygwin?
>
> Thanks for the report. This was already fixed recently in git head.
>
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-December/250153.html
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-patches/2021q4/011583.html
>
> Please wait for the next cygwin release or new developers snapshot.

New developer snapshot is available on https://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Corinna

@ 2021-12-14 10:12     ` john daintree
From: john daintree @ 2021-12-14 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)