* Re: SSH and Cygwin 1.1.6
       [not found] <DJEIJKPGJKBJKKDFDKJHEENDCDAA.satra@bu.edu>
@ 2000-12-06 19:27 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-12-06 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Satrajit S. Ghosh; +Cc: cygwin

Am I supposed to know what this is in referring to?  I receive several
hundred emails every day.  I had to search my mail archives to figure
out what you were talking about.

Anyway, I asked:

>>Is it possible that you have multiple versions of cygwin1.dll on your
>>system?

Answering "I did install the latest version" does not answer that question.

Search your system, using Microsoft's Find option, for other occurrences of
cygwin1.dll.  Delete any older versions.

And, please don't send me personal email.  That's why we have a cygwin mailing
list.

cgf

--
cgf@cygnus.com                        Red Hat, Inc.
http://sources.redhat.com/            http://www.redhat.com/

* Re: SSH and Cygwin 1.1.6
@ 2000-12-07  7:20   ` Satrajit S. Ghosh
From: Satrajit S. Ghosh @ 2000-12-07  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor

Thanks for your very succint reply.

> Anyway, I asked:
>
> >>Is it possible that you have multiple versions of cygwin1.dll on your
> >>system?
I don't have any other version of the cygwin1.dll file. The only version
is that of the freshh install. I can post a cygcheck if that helps.

> And, please don't send me personal email.  That's why we have a cygwin mailing
> list.
I did not want to break the thread and the only way to do that at that
time was to send it to you.

Satra

> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 10:25:47PM -0500, Satrajit S. Ghosh wrote:
> >Dear Christopher,
> >
> >I did install the latest version of the cygwin system. If you want I can
> >send you a cygcheck, but I must say, that this is a fresh install and I am
> >using inetd with all the instructions from the following website:
> >
> > http://mike.erdelynet.com/sshd.asp
> >

> >Unfortunately, I just subscribed to the mailing list and henceforward I
> >shall be able to put the replies to the thread itself.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Satra
> >
> >--
> >Satrajit Ghosh
> >Department of Cognitive and Neural Systems, Boston University
> >

> --
> cgf@cygnus.com                        Red Hat, Inc.
> http://sources.redhat.com/            http://www.redhat.com/
>
> --

* Re: SSH and Cygwin 1.1.6
@ 2000-12-07  7:39     ` Erdely, Michael
From: Erdely, Michael @ 2000-12-07  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been getting a lot of personal emails regarding this problem.
I've experienced it too with my Windows 2000 Server/Pro machines running a
fresh install of Cygwin with the 1.1.6 DLL and OpenSSH 2.3.0p1-1 running
under INETD as the System account.  I get the stack dump and the Dr. Watson
errors.  Installing Cygwin 1.1.5 fixes the problem every time.

Corinna, in http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-11/msg01369.html , asked
for more info, but I haven't had time to provide it.  Since I'm up and
running with the 1.1.5 DLL, I haven't been too pressed to look into it
further.

Others that are having the problem: if you provide the list with some of the
info that Corinna asks for, maybe this can be resolved.

Thanks,
Mike Erdely
mailto:mike@erdelynet.com
http://mike.erdelynet.com/

@ 2000-12-08  4:07       ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2000-12-08  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erdely, Michael; +Cc: cygwin

Corinna wrote:

> No. More input. The stack trace isn't too instructive. You should
> debug that problem by starting `sshd -d' on the command line.
> and on the client side `ssh -v localhost'. This might give you a hint.
> The first line in the exceptionoutput is strange:

So I have this problem too.  I stopped the inetd service, ran
/usr/sbin/sshd -d, discovered that at some point the relevant files
should have been moved from /usr/local/etc to /etc, moved them,
connection works fine.

Restarted inetd, tried to connect, same crash.

Rebooted, in case inetd had somehow preserved some state, that works.

So, fix is to

> cp /usr/local/etc/*ssh* /etc

and reboot.

ht

* Re: SSH and Cygwin 1.1.6
@ 2000-12-08  4:21         ` Erdely, Michael
From: Erdely, Michael @ 2000-12-08  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The only thing that would make a difference on my machine would be
uncommenting the "#HostKey /etc/ssh_host_key" line in my /etc/sshd_config.
Since I did a new install, there were no files in /usr/local/etc.

-ME

> > I've been getting a lot of personal emails regarding this problem.
> > I've experienced it too with my Windows 2000 Server/Pro machines running
> > fresh install of Cygwin with the 1.1.6 DLL and OpenSSH 2.3.0p1-1 running
> > under INETD as the System account.  I get the stack dump and the Dr.
Watson
> > errors.  Installing Cygwin 1.1.5 fixes the problem every time.
> >
> > Corinna, in http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-11/msg01369.html ,
asked
> > for more info, but I haven't had time to provide it.  Since I'm up and
> > running with the 1.1.5 DLL, I haven't been too pressed to look into it
> > further.
>
> Corinna wrote:
>
> > No. More input. The stack trace isn't too instructive. You should
> > debug that problem by starting `sshd -d' on the command line.
> > and on the client side `ssh -v localhost'. This might give you a hint.
> > The first line in the exceptionoutput is strange:
>
> So I have this problem too.  I stopped the inetd service, ran
> /usr/sbin/sshd -d, discovered that at some point the relevant files
> should have been moved from /usr/local/etc to /etc, moved them,
> connection works fine.
>
> Restarted inetd, tried to connect, same crash.
>
> Rebooted, in case inetd had somehow preserved some state, that works.
>
> So, fix is to
>
> > cp /usr/local/etc/*ssh* /etc
>
> and reboot.
>
> ht
> --
>   Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of
Edinburgh
>           W3C Fellow 1999--2001, part-time member of W3C Team
>      2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
>     Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk

* Re: SSH and Cygwin 1.1.6
@ 2000-12-08  5:51           ` Erdely, Michael
From: Erdely, Michael @ 2000-12-08  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I wiped out my installation and registry keys with Cygwin 1.1.5 and
installed the latest and greatest.  Configured everything and uncommented
the "#HostKey /etc/ssh_host_key" line.  No dice.

-ME

> The only thing that would make a difference on my machine would be
> uncommenting the "#HostKey /etc/ssh_host_key" line in my /etc/sshd_config.
> Since I did a new install, there were no files in /usr/local/etc.
>
> -ME

* Re: SSH and Cygwin 1.1.6
@ 2000-12-08  6:01             ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2000-12-08  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erdely, Michael; +Cc: cygwin

"Erdely, Michael" <mike@erdelynet.com> writes:

> I wiped out my installation and registry keys with Cygwin 1.1.5 and
> installed the latest and greatest.  Configured everything and uncommented
> the "#HostKey /etc/ssh_host_key" line.  No dice.

So it was some sideeffect of my activities, rather than what I thought
it was.  Have you tried stopping inetd and running /usr/sbin/sshd -d
from the command line?

ht

* Re: SSH and Cygwin 1.1.6
@ 2000-12-08  6:06               ` Erdely, Michael
From: Erdely, Michael @ 2000-12-08  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm trying that now.  But it's my understanding that if you run sshd as
someone other than "system", you can't use password authentication.  Is that
incorrect?

To get around that, I'm trying to set up an "sshd2" that uses RSA
Authentication so that I can run sshd -d from a prompt.

Or is my thought process wrong here?

-ME

@ 2000-12-08  6:10                 ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2000-12-08  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erdely, Michael; +Cc: cygwin

"Erdely, Michael" <mike@erdelynet.com> writes:

> I'm trying that now.  But it's my understanding that if you run sshd as
> someone other than "system", you can't use password authentication.  Is that
> incorrect?

When I ran it from the command line, it used RSA happily.

> To get around that, I'm trying to set up an "sshd2" that uses RSA
> Authentication so that I can run sshd -d from a prompt.

So either I've misunderstood you, or you don't need to set up anything
new, vanilla sshd should just work.

ht

* Re: SSH and Cygwin 1.1.6
@ 2000-12-08  6:24                 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-08  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Friday 08 December 2000 15:06, Erdely, Michael wrote:
> I'm trying that now.  But it's my understanding that if you run sshd
> as someone other than "system", you can't use password
> authentication.  Is that incorrect?
>
> To get around that, I'm trying to set up an "sshd2" that uses RSA
> Authentication so that I can run sshd -d from a prompt.

What do you mean by that??? Just start sshd on the command line
and that's it!

> Or is my thought process wrong here?

I fear, yes. Did you read /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-2.3.0p1.README?
Did you have a look into the ssh man pages?

To be allowed to change the user context isn't bound to `system'
but to the user rights which are attached to users/groups in the
NT user manager resp. W2K's Security Policy MMC-Snap in.

On the other hand, starting sshd under your own account and then
using RSA/DSA authentication is way more comfortable ;-)

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@redhat.com

* Re: SSH and Cygwin 1.1.6
@ 2000-12-08  6:56                   ` Erdely, Michael
From: Erdely, Michael @ 2000-12-08  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I did read the read me.  Every time before when I tried to connect when
running sshd -d from a command line and tried to use password
authentication, I get:
    erdelym@localhost's password:
    debug: authentications that can continue: publickey,password
    debug: next auth method to try is password
    Permission denied, please try again.
    erdelym@localhost's password:
And, I didn't experience the problems when I ran SSHD under it's own
service.  Only when running with inetd.  So running it from the command
prompt isn't helping (it's, in essense, the same thing).

Is there a way to get debug output from sshd -i running under inetd?

-ME

@ 2000-12-08  7:49                     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-08  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Friday 08 December 2000 15:56, Erdely, Michael wrote:
> I did read the read me.  Every time before when I tried to connect
> when running sshd -d from a command line and tried to use password
> authentication, I get:
>     erdelym@localhost's password:
>     debug: authentications that can continue: publickey,password
>     debug: next auth method to try is password
>     Permission denied, please try again.
>     erdelym@localhost's password:
> And, I didn't experience the problems when I ran SSHD under it's own
> service.  Only when running with inetd.  So running it from the
> command prompt isn't helping (it's, in essense, the same thing).
>
> Is there a way to get debug output from sshd -i running under inetd?

No.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@redhat.com

* RE: SSH and Cygwin 1.1.6
@ 2000-12-08 10:13                       ` Nicholas Sushkin
From: Erdely, Michael @ 2000-12-18  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The output of this is located at
ftp://ftp.erdelynet.com/ftp/downloads/sshd-error.csv

-ME

PS - I did remove the following text from each line:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be found. The
local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: