* Re: Setup.exe (was: General comments... )
       [not found] <NGBBLLIAMFLGJEOAJCCEAEFPCIAA.garbage_collector@telia.com>
@ 2003-01-13  3:23 ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail), cygwin

Please keep replies on list.

Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:
>> From: Max Bowsher [mailto:maxb@ukf.net]
>>> From: "Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)"

>>> Also: I feel that I have to verify settings all the time. I download
>>> packages into a local directory, then install them
>>> from there, to be able to REINSTALL all of it, fresh - in case of
>>> trouble, whatever "sort of" it might be.
>>
>> I did this for ages, until I found out that "Install from Internet"
>> does maintain a local directory you can install from again.
>
>  And where is that directory located? I do NOT want it to be on a
> hardcoded location (like C:\cygwin\ or something) because of backup
> AND space considerations.

The directory you specify in "Select Local Package Directory".

<offtopic>
> IMNSHO:
> NOTHING except actually installing something should write to C:
> e.g. "My Documents" should ALWAYS be elsewhere. Software settings that
> are _USER_SPECIFIC_ should NEVER be on C: - they belong in "/home" or
> some such (compare Unix/Linux).

I agree.
</offtopic>

>>> I have to run the utility twice AND click the NEXT
>>> button "a hundred times" ;-)
>>> My suggesttion: Add an option to "use last settings" for the
>>> selected operation (download or install), having it GO at once.
>>
>> Which settings? Mostly I find I can just hit Enter a few times.
>
>  All of it. What if you hit another key first, then Enter?
> IMHO: Setup should have a "setup screen" ;-) containing all of it.
> Then first ask "Run" or "Change settings"; where  "Run" is equal to
> using the presets.

How is this easier than tapping Enter a few times?
Are there any settings you have to change from the default every time?

>> Its quite simple. Setup requires a connection until the
>> "Downloading" phase
>> has ended, after which it says "Installing".
>
>  Yes, of course ;-)
>  Maybe I was a bit unclear here; I'm "always" doing other stuff while
> the/any download proceeds in the background. I'd still like to be
> notified(sp) about it having finished, in a sane manner - so I can go
> on typing (or whatever)...
> NOTE THE PROBLEM: Do not pop up an ACTIVE dialog; I would be typing
> on the keyboard, thus possibly ruining it all.

"Beep after long operation" ? Sane, but I personally don't have time to code
it.

Max.

* RE: Setup.exe (was: General comments... )
@ 2003-01-13  3:30   ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Max Bowsher [maxb@ukf.net]
>
> Please keep replies on list.

 Sigh, "Microsoft Default replies" goes personal.
 (Or might it be that I'm not on the list?)

> Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:
> >> From: Max Bowsher [maxb@ukf.net]

> >> I did this for ages, until I found out that "Install from Internet"
> >> does maintain a local directory you can install from again.
> >
> >  And where is that directory located? I do NOT want it to be on a
> > hardcoded location (like C:\cygwin\ or something) because of backup
> > AND space considerations.
>
> The directory you specify in "Select Local Package Directory".

 Nice :-), now the thing that is missing is just mentioning this
on an obvious place, or maybe; change the initial
"Choose A Download Source"  into "Choose operation(s)"
with a 'list' of checkboxes:

 Local directory: <current path displayed>
 Install root dir: <current setting displayed>
 Internet connection: <current setting displayed>

 [ ] Change settings
 [ ] Download to local directory
 [ ] Install from local directory

(where the first checkbox makes the thing go through all the
 settings: root and local dir, internet connection type...)
which might be more intuitive, don't you think?

NOTE: I'm not pro-anything, I just feel there is room for
      improvement with the current 'layout'.
      Here I'm trying to find out what 'improvement' is to be.
      Please, be open-minded! :-)

-- 8< --

> "Beep after long operation" ?

 Hmm... ;-) I must have a load of latent agressions: I don't like beeing
beeped at! :-}

> Sane, but I personally don't have time to code it.

 Ahh... Have I heard that before? ;-)

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, Mariefred, Sweden - busy undergraduate, B.Sc. EE.

* Re: Setup.exe (was: General comments... )
@ 2003-01-13  3:30     ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail), cygwin

Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:
>> The directory you specify in "Select Local Package Directory".
>
>  Nice :-), now the thing that is missing is just mentioning this
> on an obvious place, or maybe; change the initial
> "Choose A Download Source"  into "Choose operation(s)"
> with a 'list' of checkboxes:
>
>  Local directory: <current path displayed>
>  Install root dir: <current setting displayed>
>  Internet connection: <current setting displayed>
>
>  [ ] Change settings
>  [ ] Download to local directory
>  [ ] Install from local directory
>
> (where the first checkbox makes the thing go through all the
>  settings: root and local dir, internet connection type...)
> which might be more intuitive, don't you think?
>
> NOTE: I'm not pro-anything, I just feel there is room for
>       improvement with the current 'layout'.
>       Here I'm trying to find out what 'improvement' is to be.
>       Please, be open-minded! :-)

I don't really like this:
- You only have to choose 1 radio button, but you may need to choose several
checkboxes.
- I'm not convinced by the 'settings summary' idea. A page with all the
settings on, bunched up, maybe.

Max.

* RE: Setup.exe (was: General comments... )
@ 2003-01-13  3:30 jurgen.defurne
From: jurgen.defurne @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

One feature that I find missing from setup.exe, is the possibility
to check/uncheck all proposed upgrade packages.

Regards,

Jurgen

* Setup.exe (was: General comments... )
@ 2003-01-13  3:04 ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-01-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail), cygwin

>  There is one thing that I find almost annoying with the setup
> utility.
>  At a certain point it feels VERY slow; when the list of packages to
> download/install is about to open up. This may take anything from a little
> while to ages to open (No, I haven't measured time
> so far). As there is NO progress display it feels as a very long
> delay. Please, consider adding a progress display of some sort.

Already done, in the development snapshots.