* Cygwin on Win 2000
@ 2002-03-19 13:13 Anthony P Praino
From: Anthony P Praino @ 2002-03-19 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I  installed Cygwin on mid Feb. on my Win 2000 Intellistation.
While the cygwin 'window' interface allows the use of the standard unix
tools and utilities, the Dos (command.com) window does not.
I did a full install and so am wondering if I missed something in the setup
or configuration. As I understand it from reading the website,
unix utilities should be available from the Dos window as well. Any help or
information is appreciated.
Thank You

Anthony P. Praino
Deep Computing Institute
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Voice: (914)945-1953
apraino@us.ibm.com
http://www.research.ibm.com/weather

* RE: Cygwin on Win 2000
@ 2002-03-19 13:43 ` Stephano Mariani
From: Stephano Mariani @ 2002-03-19 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Anthony P Praino', cygwin

Windows 2000 has no command.com.

Assuming you mean cmd.exe, did you forget to add the cygwin/bin
directory into your PATH?

Stephano Mariani

Behalf
> Of Anthony P Praino
> Sent: Tuesday, 19 March 2002 8:58 PM
> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
> Subject: Cygwin on Win 2000
>
> I  installed Cygwin on mid Feb. on my Win 2000 Intellistation.
> While the cygwin 'window' interface allows the use of the standard
unix
> tools and utilities, the Dos (command.com) window does not.
> I did a full install and so am wondering if I missed something in the
> setup
> or configuration. As I understand it from reading the website,
> unix utilities should be available from the Dos window as well. Any
help
> or
> information is appreciated.
> Thank You
>
> Anthony P. Praino
> Deep Computing Institute
> IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
> Voice: (914)945-1953
> apraino@us.ibm.com
> http://www.research.ibm.com/weather
>

> --

* Re: Cygwin on Win 2000
@ 2002-03-19 14:51 ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-03-19 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Anthony P Praino

To run the Cygwin programs from an MSDOS prompt, you probably need to add
the Cygwin /bin directory (normally c:\cygwin\bin) to %PATH%.  I normally
put it at the end so MSDOS programs (e.g. find) don't get overridden by
Cygwin at the MSDOS prompt.  Setup.exe doesn't alter you path settings, so
you need to do it yourself.

I find it much nicer to work from a real shell like bash.
--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

@ 2002-03-20  6:44   ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-03-20  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani; +Cc: 'Anthony P Praino', cygwin

Stephano,

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 09:12:48PM -0000, Stephano Mariani wrote:
> Windows 2000 has no command.com.

Sure it does:

    $ ls -l c:/WINNT/system32/command.com
    -rwxrwxr-x    1 Administ SYSTEM      50620 Jul 26  2000 c:/WINNT/system32/command.com

Whether or not someone would want to use it on Windows 2000 is another
issue.

Jason

* RE: Cygwin on Win 2000
@ 2002-03-20  7:37     ` Stephano Mariani
From: Stephano Mariani @ 2002-03-20  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jason Tishler'; +Cc: 'Anthony P Praino', cygwin

Strange... I do not seem to have that file (I checked three machines,
win2k Pro SP2, Win2k Pro SP1, WinXP Pro).

Stephano Mariani

* Re: Cygwin on Win 2000
@ 2002-03-20  8:08       ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2002-03-20  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani
  Cc: 'Jason Tishler', 'Anthony P Praino', cygwin

/ "Stephano Mariani" <sk.mail@btinternet.com> wrote:
| Strange... I do not seem to have that file (I checked three machines,
| win2k Pro SP2, Win2k Pro SP1, WinXP Pro).

Can be found on my Win2k Pro SP2, ahh well maybe something depending
on your shoesize or something, definetly nothing for cygwin ;-)

        /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!

* RE: Cygwin on Win 2000
@ 2002-03-20  8:23         ` Stephano Mariani
                             ` (3 more replies)
From: Stephano Mariani @ 2002-03-20  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Markebo'
  Cc: 'Jason Tishler', 'Anthony P Praino', cygwin

I am quite interested to figure out why... did you install your win2k
over an existing windows version or was it a clean install?

Mine was a clean install in each case with only the service packs and
some patches being added.

Thanks,
Stephano Mariani

@ 2002-03-20  8:52           ` Jason Tishler
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-03-20  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani
  Cc: 'Andrew Markebo', 'Anthony P Praino', cygwin

Stephano,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 03:47:28PM -0000, Stephano Mariani wrote:
> I am quite interested to figure out why... did you install your win2k
> over an existing windows version or was it a clean install?
>
> Mine was a clean install in each case with only the service packs and
> some patches being added.

Clean install with only SP1 or SP2.

Jason

* RE: Cygwin on Win 2000
@ 2002-03-20 10:37           ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-03-20 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani, 'Andrew Markebo'
  Cc: 'Jason Tishler', 'Anthony P Praino', cygwin

Hi,

Well, this doesn't seem to qualify as on-topic, but we've seen worse here...

I have COMMAND.COM on my Win2K SP2 system, for what it's worth. It was a
"clean" install on a newly formatted drive.

Perhaps it came along with the Windows 2000 Resource Kit, whose software I
also installed?

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-03-20 11:12           ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-03-20 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani, 'Andrew Markebo'
  Cc: 'Anthony P Praino', cygwin

I'm going to have to say that discussion of why your W2K installation does
not command.com is off-topic for this list.  Perhaps you can soothe your
curiosity with a discussion off-line.  For the record, I have command.com
in my W2K installation and it was a clean install that I did myself.

HTH,

At 10:47 AM 3/20/2002, Stephano Mariani wrote:
>I am quite interested to figure out why... did you install your win2k
>over an existing windows version or was it a clean install?
>
>Mine was a clean install in each case with only the service packs and
>some patches being added.
>
>Thanks,
>Stephano Mariani

* Re: Cygwin on Win 2000
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-20 11:19           ` Lapo Luchini
From: Lapo Luchini @ 2002-03-20 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin

> Mine was a clean install in each case with only the service packs and
> some patches being added.

I installed it from scratch every time but the first (of course...) but
\winnt\system32\command.com is definitely there, in Win98 is
widows\command\command.com.. be it an upgrade of a from scratch.
But wait.. when you open command prompt... (well I guess you can open
command prompt, yes?) which executable appears in the task manager?

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)

* Re: Cygwin on Win 2000
@ 2002-03-21 14:14             ` Alex K. Angelopoulos
From: Alex K. Angelopoulos @ 2002-03-21 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

FYI everyone...

Command.com really *should* be there.  You really *shouldn't* ever use it directly, though.

If you launch a console app which turns out to be 16-bit, NT/2000/XP automatically instantiates command.com (and then passes all of its operations  back to CMD.EXE).

I suspect the OPs problem is that since he tried to launch under command.com, it choked since cygwin is 32-bit.  This can just be resolved by calling CMD instead of COMMAND  in the "run" box.

:
: I installed it from scratch every time but the first (of course...) but
: \winnt\system32\command.com is definitely there, in Win98 is
: widows\command\command.com.. be it an upgrade of a from scratch.
: But wait.. when you open command prompt... (well I guess you can open
: command prompt, yes?) which executable appears in the task manager?
:
: --
: Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
: lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)
: http://www.lapo.it (ICQ UIN: 529796)
:
:
:
: --
: Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
: Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
: Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
: FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
:
:

* RE: Cygwin on Win 2000
@ 2002-03-21 15:34               ` Stephano Mariani
From: Stephano Mariani @ 2002-03-21 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Alex K. Angelopoulos', cygwin

I have since resolved the issue... apparently, there are hidden settings
in the windows 2000 installer that can be used to prevent command.com
from being installed (which my company has done). I am thus unable to
run 16-bit code (which I have thankfully never needed to do), but this
is no problem.

I have cmd.exe but no command.{com,exe}. I suspect that this is just a
peculiarity if my system.

Thanks,
Stephano Mariani