* Where do core dumps go in Cygwin?
@ 2023-09-01 13:50 Joshuah Hurst
From: Joshuah Hurst @ 2023-09-01 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Where do core dumps in Cygwin go? ulimit -c is set to unlimited in
bash, but on SEGV no core dump is created in cwd.

I need a stack trace for randomly occurring SIGSEGV of an application,
but cannot just instrument every invocation.
--
Josh

* Re: Where do core dumps go in Cygwin?
@ 2023-09-01 13:55 ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2023-09-01 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Joshuah Hurst

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 15:50:32 +0200
Joshuah Hurst wrote:
> Where do core dumps in Cygwin go? ulimit -c is set to unlimited in
> bash, but on SEGV no core dump is created in cwd.
>
> I need a stack trace for randomly occurring SIGSEGV of an application,
> but cannot just instrument every invocation.

Read:
https://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dumper.html

However, unfortunately, cygwin 3.4.8 is missing dumper.exe.
Please use latest cygwin 3.5.0 (Test) or cygwin 3.4.7 so far.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: Where do core dumps go in Cygwin?
@ 2023-09-01 20:52   ` Joshuah Hurst
From: Joshuah Hurst @ 2023-09-01 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Yano, Corinna Vinschen, cygwin

On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 3:55 PM Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 15:50:32 +0200
> Joshuah Hurst wrote:
> > Where do core dumps in Cygwin go? ulimit -c is set to unlimited in
> > bash, but on SEGV no core dump is created in cwd.
> >
> > I need a stack trace for randomly occurring SIGSEGV of an application,
> > but cannot just instrument every invocation.
>
> Read:
> https://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dumper.html
>
> However, unfortunately, cygwin 3.4.8 is missing dumper.exe.

Why? Will this be fixed for cygwin 3.4.8-2?

@Corinna Vinschen ?

> Please use latest cygwin 3.5.0 (Test) or cygwin 3.4.7 so far.

How do I downgrade to cygwin 3.4.7 in the gui installer?
--

@ 2023-09-01 21:48     ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2023-09-01 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Joshuah Hurst

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 22:52:56 +0200
Joshuah Hurst wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 3:55 PM Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp> wrote:
> > Please use latest cygwin 3.5.0 (Test) or cygwin 3.4.7 so far.
>
> How do I downgrade to cygwin 3.4.7 in the gui installer?

1) Run setup-x86_64.exe
2) Proceed to the "Select package" menu.
3) Select "Full" in "View" select box.
4) Input "cygwin" into "Search" input box.
5) Change "New" column of "cygwin" package from "Keep" to 3.4.7-1.
6) Proceed the setup.

--

@ 2023-09-02 15:28     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-09-02 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/09/2023 21:52, Joshuah Hurst via Cygwin wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 3:55 PM Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 15:50:32 +0200
>> Joshuah Hurst wrote:
>>> Where do core dumps in Cygwin go? ulimit -c is set to unlimited in
>>> bash, but on SEGV no core dump is created in cwd.
>>>
>>> I need a stack trace for randomly occurring SIGSEGV of an application,
>>> but cannot just instrument every invocation.
>>
>> Read:
>> https://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dumper.html
>>
>> However, unfortunately, cygwin 3.4.8 is missing dumper.exe.

"accidentally missing"

> Why? Will this be fixed for cygwin 3.4.8-2?

This was due to an error in our build scripts (which was not noticed
until after the fact)

It will be present in 3.4.9