* setup and "provides:" on third party repository
@ 2022-01-06  6:57 Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2022-01-06  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Jon,

one think that I noted recently is that setup is not storing the
"provides:" information on the installation.

Noted specially with perl module

perl_base "provides: perl5_032"

perl-gdal "depends2: .. perl5_032, perl_base"

So now, when I use my internal server for test/update, setup proposes to
uninstall perl-gdal as no package provides perl5_032 and a lot of time
I missed to note and overwrite the proposal.

It is a bit annoying, can you put in the TODO list ?

Thanks
Marco

* Re: setup and "provides:" on third party repository
@ 2022-01-06 11:15 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2022-01-06 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Marco Atzeri writes:
> one think that I noted recently is that setup is not storing the
> "provides:" information on the installation.

There's no place for it to store information about virtual packages.

> It is a bit annoying, can you put in the TODO list ?

I think the details should be discussed on cygwin-apps.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: setup and "provides:" on third party repository
@ 2022-01-06 11:35   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2022-01-06 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 06.01.2022 12:15, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Marco Atzeri writes:
>> one think that I noted recently is that setup is not storing the
>> "provides:" information on the installation.
>
> There's no place for it to store information about virtual packages.

I see no reason to not use

   /etc/setup/installed.db

as for the normal packages

>> It is a bit annoying, can you put in the TODO list ?
>
> I think the details should be discussed on cygwin-apps.

I leave to Jon

> Regards,
> Achim.

Regards

@ 2022-01-10 15:55 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-01-10 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/01/2022 06:57, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> one think that I noted recently is that setup is not storing the
> "provides:" information on the installation.
>
> Noted specially with perl module
>
> perl_base "provides: perl5_032"
>
> perl-gdal "depends2: .. perl5_032, perl_base"
>
> So now, when I use my internal server for test/update, setup proposes to
> uninstall perl-gdal as no package provides perl5_032 and a lot of time
> I missed to note and overwrite the proposal.

This might not happen if you have *both* a cygwin mirror and your
internal package server selected as download sites.

> It is a bit annoying, can you put in the TODO list ?

Yes, we should generally store all the information from setup.ini for a
package when it's installed, but we don't currently (and do some
contortions to make up for that lack).

Adding this is non-trivial because the current installed.db format is
not adequate for that task.