* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-02  0:22 Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2018-07-02  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have uploaded mintty 2.9.0 with the following changes:

Highlights (details see below)
   * Background image and texture support.
   * Enhanced multi-monitor DPI handling.
   * Underline styles and colours, CMYK colour specifications.
   * Outer scrollbar mode, xterm-compatible.
   * Enhanced text selection mouse support.
   * Enhanced quick window switching.
   * Tweaked start error handling.
   * Tweaked WSL support.

Character attributes and rendering
   * Support for colon-separated SGR sub-parameters (ISO/IEC 8613-6)
(xterm 282):
   * SGR escapes for ISO/IEC 8613-6 RGB, CMY, CMYK, and indexed colour
formats.
   * DECRQSS uses SGR sub-parameters for colour specifications (xterm 331).
   * SGR 4:1...4:5 for underline styles solid, double, wavy, dotted, dashed.
   * SGR 58/59 for underline colour (kitty, iTerm2).
   * Fixed (almost) selection highlighting of emojis.
   * Drawing Unicode Block Elements which are broken in many fonts (#264).
   * Fixed initial bold as font suppression glitch (mintty/wsltty#103).

Window control
   * DECSET 30 to enable/disable outer scrollbar (like xterm) (#159, ~#262).
   * DECSET 1046 enables/disables alternate screen switching (xterm 331).
   * Cursor style modes DECSET 12 (AT&T 610) (xterm 331) and SM 33/34
(Wyse).

Scrollbar
   * Fixed scrollbar toggle (Ctrl+Shift+O) from forcing scrollbar to the
right.
   * Preventing font zooming after scrollbar toggle (Ctrl+Shift+O).

Window layout
   * Background image or texture support (#18, #666).

Multi-monitor support
   * Using Windows DPI handling V2, avoiding fluttering (#774, #470,
#492, ~#566, ~#547).

Text selection
   * Drag-and-drop selection after focus click enabled by combined cell
and time distance (#717).
   * Only suppress focus-click selection if focus reporting disabled or
mouse reporting not effective (#717).
   * Ctrl+mouse-move hovering underlines URLs and filenames (#173).
   * Selection highlighting can also indicate selection size (#660).

Window handling
   * Revised Ctrl+(Shift+)Tab window switching (#773).
   * Ctrl+Ctrl+(Shift+)Tab for window switching including iconized
windows (#735).
   * Win+Shift move coupling of tab sets if SessionGeomSync ≥ 2 (#600,
#699).

Configuration
   * CMY(K) colour specifications in OSC sequences and config file.
   * Option Background and OSC 11 to set background image or texture
(#18, #666).
   * Option SelectionShowSize to enable selection size indication (#660).

Themes management
   * Fixed syntax error in `mintheme` tool (#764).
   * Option `mintheme -d -q` for decimal colour format (#718).
   * Supporting `mintheme` tool on WSL.
   * Options `mintheme -p` and `mintheme -t` to set background picture
or texture.
   * Options `mintheme -s` and `mintheme -S` for theme visualization and
comparison.

Other
   * Updated Emoji data and built-in width data to Unicode 11.0.
   * Enabled OSC 7 current directory injection for Ctrl+click in WSL
(mintty/wsltty#104).
   * Reporting start error (exit status 255) (#745).
   * Changed start error exit code from 255 to 126 (#745).
   * Fixed slowdown of Character Info mode if Unicode data are not deployed.
   * Option --WSLmode to tune behaviour for WSL distro but not launch
(mintty/wsltty#99).
   * Clarified additional configuration requirements for option
TaskCommands in the manual.

The homepage is at http://mintty.github.io/
It also links to the issue tracker.

------
Thomas

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-02 20:27 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-07-02 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thomas Wolff writes:
> I have uploaded mintty 2.9.0 with the following changes:
[…]

No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.  One of these changes makes the
cursor come out as static underline instead of blinking block whenever
I'm going into my usual screen or tmux session.  I have not yet figured
out what exactly is changing the cursor, but once I'm in screen nor tmux
I can't change it for whatever reason (it might actually change and gets
reset quickly enough so I can't see it).  Dropping out of the session I
can send the escape sequence to switch back to blinking block (or
whatever other cursor available), but reconnecting into the session
brings the static underline back.  The best I have managed so far by
compiling my own terminfo database is to get a static block cursor (not
blinking) for a local session, but it breaks down as soon as I log into
a remote system again.

Can there be an option please to keep the cursor just as I've set it up
in the options?

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: EXTERNAL: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-02 21:39   ` Wells, Roger K.
From: Wells, Roger K. @ 2018-07-02 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07/02/2018 04:27 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Thomas Wolff writes:
>> I have uploaded mintty 2.9.0 with the following changes:
> […]
>
> No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.  One of these changes makes the
> cursor come out as static underline instead of blinking block whenever
> I'm going into my usual screen or tmux session.  I have not yet figured
> out what exactly is changing the cursor, but once I'm in screen nor tmux
> I can't change it for whatever reason (it might actually change and gets
> reset quickly enough so I can't see it).  Dropping out of the session I
> can send the escape sequence to switch back to blinking block (or
> whatever other cursor available), but reconnecting into the session
> brings the static underline back.  The best I have managed so far by
> compiling my own terminfo database is to get a static block cursor (not
> blinking) for a local session, but it breaks down as soon as I log into
> a remote system again.
>
> Can there be an option please to keep the cursor just as I've set it up
> in the options?
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

Hi,
I just did the same install and do not observe what you do.
Everything seems fine regarding the cursor type.
One thing though is that I have not used mintty before.
Do you think that my fresh ".minttyrc" file is different than your's?
Just a thought......

--
Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos

* Re: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-03  7:39     ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2018-07-03  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 02.07.2018 23:39, Wells, Roger K. wrote:
> On 07/02/2018 04:27 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Thomas Wolff writes:
>>> I have uploaded mintty 2.9.0 with the following changes:
>> [Â…]
>>
>> No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.  One of these changes makes the
>> cursor come out as static underline instead of blinking block whenever
>> I'm going into my usual screen or tmux session.  I have not yet figured
>> out what exactly is changing the cursor, but once I'm in screen nor tmux
>> I can't change it for whatever reason (it might actually change and gets
>> reset quickly enough so I can't see it).  Dropping out of the session I
>> can send the escape sequence to switch back to blinking block (or
>> whatever other cursor available), but reconnecting into the session
>> brings the static underline back.  The best I have managed so far by
>> compiling my own terminfo database is to get a static block cursor (not
>> blinking) for a local session, but it breaks down as soon as I log into
>> a remote system again.
>>
>> Can there be an option please to keep the cursor just as I've set it up
>> in the options?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Achim.
> Hi,
> I just did the same install and do not observe what you do.
> Everything seems fine regarding the cursor type.
> One thing though is that I have not used mintty before.
> Do you think that my fresh ".minttyrc" file is different than your's?
> Just a thought......
I guess it's more about the configuration of tmux. There is in fact a
cursor style setting sequence that mintty newly supports.
Please make a terminal log and check whether ^[[34h (ESC [ 3 4 h)
appears during tmux initialization. If so, however, the assumption is
that tmux sends it on purpose, so the blame is on tmux :/ My tmux
configuration does not change the cursor, like Roger's, by the way.
About an option to suppress dynamic changes of cursor style, that might
indeed be useful. I assume, though, that it should uniformly also
suppress the DEC sequence (DECSCUSR). Or should different cursor
attributes be addressable separately? (shape, blinking, colour??, even
hiding???)
Design proposals welcome.

@ 2018-07-03 17:56       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-07-03 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thomas Wolff writes:
> I guess it's more about the configuration of tmux. There is in fact a
> cursor style setting sequence that mintty newly supports.
> Please make a terminal log and check whether ^[[34h (ESC [ 3 4 h)
> appears during tmux initialization.

I figured as much meanwhile, but I've not had luck in finding a
description of that sequence until much later today (in the teraterm
documentation).  I also fell into the trap again that you really can't
recompile a terminfo entry and expect it to work until you've closed all
mintty processes.

> If so, however, the assumption is that tmux sends it on purpose, so
> the blame is on tmux :/

Not tmux, what you need to blame is the terminfo entry for
screen-256color again, specifically the cursor_normal variable.  There
are a bunch of other terminals using the same sequences though.  But I
need to set the terminal to this exact string or colors inside screen
(e.g. Emacs) don't work correctly (it falls back to some lower number of
colors and gets completely illegible with the default theme).  Anyway,
since I already needed to patch the stupid italics/bold swap in that
terminfo entry, I just patched out this bit of nonsense as well.

BTW, for the terminal logs: it'd be nice if you could set a terminal log
file from the extended context menu.  At the moment you can't actually
activate the log (grayed out) unless you've started MinTTY with the
appropriate option.

> About an option to suppress dynamic changes of cursor style, that
> might indeed be useful. I assume, though, that it should uniformly
> also suppress the DEC sequence (DECSCUSR). Or should different cursor
> attributes be addressable separately? (shape, blinking, colour??, even
> hiding???)  Design proposals welcome.

Well, one simple switchbox to "keep the cursor fixed at these settings"
next to the other cursor settings would have saved me a few hours of
heartburn.  Allowing to make each of them separately sticky would be
nicer, but it's probably also a touch too much (besides, there's be a
ton of other options that would then need the same treatment for the
same reason).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-03 19:46         ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2018-07-03 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 03.07.2018 um 19:56 schrieb Achim Gratz:
> Thomas Wolff writes:
>> I guess it's more about the configuration of tmux. There is in fact a
>> cursor style setting sequence that mintty newly supports.
>> Please make a terminal log and check whether ^[[34h (ESC [ 3 4 h)
>> appears during tmux initialization.
> I figured as much meanwhile, but I've not had luck in finding a
> description of that sequence until much later today (in the teraterm
> documentation).  I also fell into the trap again that you really can't
> recompile a terminfo entry and expect it to work until you've closed all
> mintty processes.
>
>> If so, however, the assumption is that tmux sends it on purpose, so
>> the blame is on tmux :/
> Not tmux, what you need to blame is the terminfo entry for
> screen-256color again, specifically the cursor_normal variable.  There
> are a bunch of other terminals using the same sequences though.  But I
> need to set the terminal to this exact string or colors inside screen
> (e.g. Emacs) don't work correctly (it falls back to some lower number of
> colors and gets completely illegible with the default theme).  Anyway,
> since I already needed to patch the stupid italics/bold swap in that
> terminfo entry, I just patched out this bit of nonsense as well.
As I cannot reproduce the exact scenario, I don't see yet where/how you
set TERM=screen-256color and when the cursor would switch.
Also I notice that the xterm-256color entry is missing the Co entry
(which is likely what you want), strange.

> BTW, for the terminal logs: it'd be nice if you could set a terminal log
> file from the extended context menu.  At the moment you can't actually
> activate the log (grayed out) unless you've started MinTTY with the
> appropriate option.
Such issues could also be discussed in the mintty chat
https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/777
As mintty has always used a configured log file name (unlike xterm using
a fixed pattern), the absence of one would be a design problem.

>> About an option to suppress dynamic changes of cursor style, that
>> might indeed be useful. I assume, though, that it should uniformly
>> also suppress the DEC sequence (DECSCUSR). Or should different cursor
>> attributes be addressable separately? (shape, blinking, colour??, even
>> hiding???)  Design proposals welcome.
> Well, one simple switchbox to "keep the cursor fixed at these settings"
> next to the other cursor settings would have saved me a few hours of
> heartburn.  Allowing to make each of them separately sticky would be
> nicer, but it's probably also a touch too much (besides, there's be a
> ton of other options that would then need the same treatment for the
> same reason).
I know I raised the idea, but having thought again, this could imply
that a lot of settings might be markable as "fixed",
including all mode settings, character set settings, and others, to
avoid accidentally confused settings for one or the other person.
I'm hesitating to take a step into such a direction.

@ 2018-07-03 20:16           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-07-03 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thomas Wolff writes:
> As I cannot reproduce the exact scenario, I don't see yet where/how
> you set TERM=screen-256color and when the cursor would switch.
> Also I notice that the xterm-256color entry is missing the Co entry
> (which is likely what you want), strange.

I need to set this in a script that starts up a bunch of mosh sessions
across my servers at work.  I nest screen (on the remote side) into tmux
(local side), mostly in order to be sure the escape keys are different.
One day I might move to nested tmux sessions once I figure out how to
reliably switch to a different escape in the second level tmux.

> Such issues could also be discussed in the mintty chat
> https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/777

Since github requires an account for that I will have to decline.

> As mintty has always used a configured log file name (unlike xterm
> using a fixed pattern), the absence of one would be a design problem.

THe idea was that if no file name was configured (or the wrong one), you
could set one from the extended config dialog so that it is then
possible to enable logging.

> I know I raised the idea, but having thought again, this could imply
> that a lot of settings might be markable as "fixed",
> including all mode settings, character set settings, and others, to
> avoid accidentally confused settings for one or the other person.
> I'm hesitating to take a step into such a direction.

Well, a more sustainable strategy would perhaps be to make the supported
feature set configurable, maybe like sort of a theme file.  That file
might even become self-documenting.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-03 23:50           ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-07-03 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Wolff, cygwin

Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

> Am 03.07.2018 um 19:56 schrieb Achim Gratz:
>> Thomas Wolff writes:
>>> I guess it's more about the configuration of tmux. There is in fact a
>>> cursor style setting sequence that mintty newly supports.
>>> Please make a terminal log and check whether ^[[34h (ESC [ 3 4 h)
>>> appears during tmux initialization.
>> I figured as much meanwhile, but I've not had luck in finding a
>> description of that sequence until much later today (in the teraterm
>> documentation).  I also fell into the trap again that you really can't
>> recompile a terminfo entry and expect it to work until you've closed all
>> mintty processes.
>>
>>> If so, however, the assumption is that tmux sends it on purpose, so
>>> the blame is on tmux :/
>> Not tmux, what you need to blame is the terminfo entry for
>> screen-256color again, specifically the cursor_normal variable.  There
>> are a bunch of other terminals using the same sequences though.  But I
>> need to set the terminal to this exact string or colors inside screen
>> (e.g. Emacs) don't work correctly (it falls back to some lower number of
>> colors and gets completely illegible with the default theme).  Anyway,
>> since I already needed to patch the stupid italics/bold swap in that
>> terminfo entry, I just patched out this bit of nonsense as well.
> As I cannot reproduce the exact scenario, I don't see yet where/how you
> set TERM=screen-256color and when the cursor would switch.
> Also I notice that the xterm-256color entry is missing the Co entry
> (which is likely what you want), strange.

I have this stuff in my .screenrc

term "screen-256color"
termcapinfo *-256color* 'Co#256:AB=\E[48;5;%dm:AF=\E[38;5;%dm'
defbce on
altscreen on

>> BTW, for the terminal logs: it'd be nice if you could set a terminal log
>> file from the extended context menu.  At the moment you can't actually
>> activate the log (grayed out) unless you've started MinTTY with the
>> appropriate option.
> Such issues could also be discussed in the mintty chat
> https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/777
> As mintty has always used a configured log file name (unlike xterm using
> a fixed pattern), the absence of one would be a design problem.

>>> About an option to suppress dynamic changes of cursor style, that
>>> might indeed be useful. I assume, though, that it should uniformly
>>> also suppress the DEC sequence (DECSCUSR). Or should different cursor
>>> attributes be addressable separately? (shape, blinking, colour??, even
>>> hiding???)  Design proposals welcome.
>> Well, one simple switchbox to "keep the cursor fixed at these settings"
>> next to the other cursor settings would have saved me a few hours of
>> heartburn.  Allowing to make each of them separately sticky would be
>> nicer, but it's probably also a touch too much (besides, there's be a
>> ton of other options that would then need the same treatment for the
>> same reason).
> I know I raised the idea, but having thought again, this could imply
> that a lot of settings might be markable as "fixed",
> including all mode settings, character set settings, and others, to
> avoid accidentally confused settings for one or the other person.
> I'm hesitating to take a step into such a direction.

Yeah, that's a path that could spiral out of control quite fast.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-04  5:27             ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2018-07-04  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 03.07.2018 um 22:15 schrieb Achim Gratz:
> Thomas Wolff writes:
>> As I cannot reproduce the exact scenario, I don't see yet where/how
>> you set TERM=screen-256color and when the cursor would switch.
>> Also I notice that the xterm-256color entry is missing the Co entry
>> (which is likely what you want), strange.
> I need to set this in a script that starts up a bunch of mosh sessions
> across my servers at work.  I nest screen (on the remote side) into tmux
> (local side), mostly in order to be sure the escape keys are different.
> One day I might move to nested tmux sessions once I figure out how to
> reliably switch to a different escape in the second level tmux.
Andrey quoted how he configures 'screen'; can you show the relevant part
of 'tmux' configuration please?

>> Such issues could also be discussed in the mintty chat
>> https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/777
> Since github requires an account for that I will have to decline.
I see the point.

>> As mintty has always used a configured log file name (unlike xterm
>> using a fixed pattern), the absence of one would be a design problem.
> THe idea was that if no file name was configured (or the wrong one), you
> could set one from the extended config dialog so that it is then
> possible to enable logging.
Wasn't sure but got the idea now; however, this will not work as the
menu implementation only allows to select an item, not to interact. It
could only go into the Options dialog, then. Not sure whether that's
desirable, considering that the Options dialog has always been kept
small, still by Andy's design approach.

>> I know I raised the idea, but having thought again, this could imply
>> that a lot of settings might be markable as "fixed",
>> including all mode settings, character set settings, and others, to
>> avoid accidentally confused settings for one or the other person.
>> I'm hesitating to take a step into such a direction.
> Well, a more sustainable strategy would perhaps be to make the supported
> feature set configurable, maybe like sort of a theme file.  That file
> might even become self-documenting.
What I see feasible is one additional config parameter, not a new
mechanism. Maybe only covering DECSET features, with something like
'BlockModes=34,47,1047,...'.

Thomas

---

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-04  6:40             ` Thomas Wolff
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2018-07-04  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 04.07.2018 um 01:40 schrieb Andrey Repin:
> Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

>>> Not tmux, what you need to blame is the terminfo entry for
>>> screen-256color again, specifically the cursor_normal variable.  There
>>> are a bunch of other terminals using the same sequences though.  But I
>>> need to set the terminal to this exact string or colors inside screen
>>> (e.g. Emacs) don't work correctly (it falls back to some lower number of
>>> colors and gets completely illegible with the default theme).  Anyway,
>>> since I already needed to patch the stupid italics/bold swap in that
>>> terminfo entry, I just patched out this bit of nonsense as well.
>> As I cannot reproduce the exact scenario, I don't see yet where/how you
>> set TERM=screen-256color and when the cursor would switch.
>> Also I notice that the xterm-256color entry is missing the Co entry
>> (which is likely what you want), strange.
> I have this stuff in my .screenrc
>
> term "screen-256color"
> termcapinfo *-256color* 'Co#256:AB=\E[48;5;%dm:AF=\E[38;5;%dm'
> defbce on
> altscreen on
Although I see the 34 mode in terminfo, I still cannot reproduce the
cursor switching behaviour,
neither with this .screenrc, nor with a .tmux.conf with 'set-option
default-terminal screen-256color'.
According to TERM=screen-256color infocmp -1|grep 34
         cnorm=\E[34h\E[?25h,
         cvvis=\E[34l,
the cursor could be turned into an underline when "cursor_normal" mode
is restored, i.e. when a screen application terminates.
But which application does actually send the cnorm sequence?

@ 2018-07-04 18:51               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-07-04 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thomas Wolff writes:
> Andrey quoted how he configures 'screen'; can you show the relevant part
> of 'tmux' configuration please?

It's not configured at all, just called through a script.  As part of
the SSH invocation (through mosh) I set the terminal to screen-256color
and start screen on the remote end.

> Wasn't sure but got the idea now; however, this will not work as the
> menu implementation only allows to select an item, not to interact. It
> could only go into the Options dialog, then. Not sure whether that's
> desirable, considering that the Options dialog has always been kept
> small, still by Andy's design approach.

That's probably not worth the trouble, but if it's not too much trouble
to leave a hint in the extended context menu why the log can't be
activated (like "no filename configured") that would be nice.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-04 18:53               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-07-04 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thomas Wolff writes:
> According to TERM=screen-256color infocmp -1|grep 34
>         cnorm=\E[34h\E[?25h,
>         cvvis=\E[34l,
> the cursor could be turned into an underline when "cursor_normal" mode
> is restored, i.e. when a screen application terminates.
> But which application does actually send the cnorm sequence?

I believe it's sent when tcsh ends the (customized) prompt.  When using
dash instead I don't get the underlined cursor, but the block cursor
stops blinking.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-04 19:08               ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-07-04 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-07-04 00:40, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 04.07.2018 um 01:40 schrieb Andrey Repin:
>> Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

>>> As I cannot reproduce the exact scenario, I don't see yet where/how you
>>> set TERM=screen-256color and when the cursor would switch.
>>> Also I notice that the xterm-256color entry is missing the Co entry
>>> (which is likely what you want), strange.
>> I have this stuff in my .screenrc
>>
>> term "screen-256color"
>> termcapinfo *-256color* 'Co#256:AB=\E[48;5;%dm:AF=\E[38;5;%dm'
>> defbce on
>> altscreen on
> Although I see the 34 mode in terminfo, I still cannot reproduce the cursor
> switching behaviour,
> neither with this .screenrc, nor with a .tmux.conf with 'set-option
> default-terminal screen-256color'.
> According to TERM=screen-256color infocmp -1|grep 34
>         cnorm=\E[34h\E[?25h,
>         cvvis=\E[34l,
> the cursor could be turned into an underline when "cursor_normal" mode is
> restored, i.e. when a screen application terminates.
> But which application does actually send the cnorm sequence?

It seems that the effects of a command could conflict with user preferences, and
it is a design decision which alternative should apply, possibly annoying the
user with unexpected results in either case.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-04 19:39               ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2018-07-04 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 11:40 PM Thomas Wolff wrote:
> But which application does actually send the cnorm sequence?

The vim editor likes to send it.  I just ran into this issue with the
new mintty whenever I edit in screen.  I ended up changing this line
in my .screenrc (which has been there for ages):

termcapinfo xterm 'vi=\E[?25l:ve=\E[34h\E[?25h:vs=\E[34l'

into this:

termcapinfo xterm 'vi=\E[?25l:ve=\E[34l\E[?25h:vs=\E[1 q'

That puts a blinking block into "vs" but I haven't found an app that
outputs that part yet (the tweak to "ve" makes it force a solid block
cursor, which is what I needed).

..wayne..

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.0
@ 2018-07-04 22:05                 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-07-04 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz, cygwin

Greetings, Achim Gratz!

> Thomas Wolff writes:
>> Andrey quoted how he configures 'screen'; can you show the relevant part
>> of 'tmux' configuration please?

> It's not configured at all, just called through a script.  As part of
> the SSH invocation (through mosh) I set the terminal to screen-256color
> and start screen on the remote end.

Is it recognized by the remote? I suppose it does, but just to be extra sure.
I've seen systems that don't have half the terminals configured, causing all
sorts of random issues.

Plus screen could have its own ideas about running inside another screen.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2018-07-05 19:10                   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-07-05 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin writes:
> Is it recognized by the remote? I suppose it does, but just to be
> extra sure.

Yes it is, as I said I have my own terminfo database for it or it would
make a bunch of other problems.

> I've seen systems that don't have half the terminals configured, causing all
> sorts of random issues.

Not the problem here, but I've been there, done that.

> Plus screen could have its own ideas about running inside another
> screen.

Screen runs inside tmux, not another screen and it doesn't care one way
or the other that I can determine.

Regards,
Achim.