From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Is there, anywhere in the world, some place where ican rsync Cygin 32 bits ?
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 13:55:35 -0600	[thread overview]

On 2023-05-30 06:21, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:
> On 29/05/2023 23:42, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:
>> On 2023-05-29 16:06, akakima via Cygwin wrote:
>>> Does such a place exist (beside fruitbat) ?
>>
>> Appears the master and all mirrors have stub setup.ini and nothing else!
>> Only private mirrors like fruitbat are likely to maintain history.
>
> This answer is wrong is almost every particular.

Good - nothing like a definitely wrong statement in a post to bring out an
illuminating correction in a reply!

> I went to a some effort to maintain an accessible archive of the last 32-bit
> cygwin (See [1]).
>
> Please don't spread misinformation.

Both the OP and myself, and likely others, missed the alternative:
I just went back and reread it a few times, and finally got the point;
also in the Install FAQ - I just noticed it third time thru, after searching the
page for "sourceware".

> [1] https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2022-November/010810.html

You totally buried the lede with the point:

"The URL for any sourceware mirror[1], followed by cygwin-archive/20221123"

because of too many levels of indirection about sourceware mirrors, lack of
examples and emphases, overshadowed by the following URL and thanks; similarly
in the install FAQ:

"The URL for any sourceware mirror, followed by cygwin-archive/20221123".

I've done this a lot myself, trying to be too terse whilst getting the point
across, losing it in the wording, requiring rephrasing or restructuring, perhaps
along the lines of:

"To install the last cygwin version for x86, run setup using the options
'--allow-unsupported-windows option --site circa_URL' e.g.

	> setup-x86 -allow-unsupported-windows --site circa_URL

where circa_URL can be one of:

* any complete sourceware mirror URL, which includes cygwin-archive, followed by
   the cygwin-archive mirror directory name and last x86 archive date
   cygwin-archive/20221123 e.g.

	https://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin-archive/20221123/

   An incomplete list of sourceware mirrors is available at:

	https://sourceware.org/mirrors.html

   (Not all sourceware mirrors may carry the cygwin-archive mirror.)

* the Cygwin time machine URL:

   http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2022/11/23/063457

   Thanks to the Cygwin Time Machine for providing this archive."

In the Install FAQ, perhaps:

"32-bit:
http://ctm.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2022/11/23/063457
https://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin-archive/20221123/ or the URL for
any complete sourceware mirror which includes cygwin-archive, followed by the
mirror directory and last x86 archive date cygwin-archive/20221123"

and/or perhaps include something like the suggested expansion at top below under
the 32-bit note?

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry