* Moving forward from cygwinports
@ 2017-04-04 10:39 Chris Davies
From: Chris Davies @ 2017-04-04 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello all,

I have seen that cygwinports has been closed down and I understand the
reasons as posted. It's been a great resource and my thanks go out to
all maintainers there and here.

What options do I have going forward for packages from that repository
that I can confirm do work, but have not (yet) been migrated into the
main Cygwin repository?

As an example, my use case is Perl-DBD-Sybase from about three weeks
ago, which works beautifully but is not in the main repository. Short of
moving to a Linux-based platform I'm now not sure how to proceed. Could
someone enlighten me, please?

Much appreciated.
Chris

* Re: Moving forward from cygwinports
@ 2017-04-04 12:20 ` Wayne Barron
From: Wayne Barron @ 2017-04-04 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris.
I have a question for you.
You stated: "Short of moving to a Linux=bases platform"

I take it you have the "cygwinports"
Successfully running in a Windows Environment.
Could you please share, how to set-up cygwinports in Windows?

I have Cigwin installed on my Win10 testing system at the moment, just
have not done anything past the initial installation
And the installing of the packages for compiling.

Thanks.
Wayne

@ 2017-04-04 14:35   ` Chris Davies
From: Chris Davies @ 2017-04-04 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/04/2017 13:19, Wayne Barron wrote:
 > You stated: "Short of moving to a Linux=bases platform"

 > I take it you have the "cygwinports"
 > Successfully running in a Windows Environment.
 > Could you please share, how to set-up cygwinports in Windows?

Cygwinports is not Cygwin.

Cygwin is alive and kicking; cygwinports.org was closed down last
week (or so). Please see http://cygwinports.org/ for reasons.

Regards,

@ 2017-04-04 16:08 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2017-04-04 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-04-04 05:38, Chris Davies wrote:
> As an example, my use case is Perl-DBD-Sybase from about three weeks
> ago, which works beautifully but is not in the main repository. Short of
> moving to a Linux-based platform I'm now not sure how to proceed. Could
> someone enlighten me, please?

You could try building it yourself:

https://github.com/cygwinports-extras/perl-DBD-Sybase

You'll need cygport, perl, and libsybdb-devel.  If it weren't for that
patch, you could also just install it from cpan.

--
Yaakov

* Re: Moving forward from cygwinports
@ 2017-04-04 17:59   ` Wayne Barron
       [not found]     ` <05817731-A39C-4240-A4BC-DD3DF27D9E1B@solidrocksystems.com>
From: Wayne Barron @ 2017-04-04 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@Chris,
I know that Cygwin and Cygport are not the same.
I was asking if you could perhaps share information on how to properly
install Cygport.

I downloaded it from here.
https://github.com/cygwinports/cygport

In the Cygwin, it had a Windows 32 or 64-bit installer.
This does not come with such.

@ 2017-04-04 18:06       ` Vince Rice
From: Vince Rice @ 2017-04-04 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> You could try building it yourself:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/cygwinports-extras/perl-DBD-Sybase
>>>
>>> You'll need cygport, perl, and libsybdb-devel.  If it weren't for that
>>> patch, you could also just install it from cpan.
>>
>> On Apr 4, 2017, at 12:58 PM, Wayne Barron wrote:
>>
>> @Chris,
>> I know that Cygwin and Cygport are not the same.
>> I was asking if you could perhaps share information on how to properly
>> install Cygport.
>>
>> I downloaded it from here.
>> https://github.com/cygwinports/cygport
>>
>> In the Cygwin, it had a Windows 32 or 64-bit installer.
>> This does not come with such.

First, please don't https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU.
Second, https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR.

You didn't have to download it from anywhere. Cygport is a Cygwin package, it can/should be installed from Cygwin's setup.

* Re: Moving forward from cygwinports
@ 2017-04-04 18:47         ` Wayne Barron
From: Wayne Barron @ 2017-04-04 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Took care of that issue with the Quoted text, using GMail. So all
should be good with that now.
Thanks, Vince. For the heads up.

> Cygport is a Cygwin package, it can/should be installed from Cygwin's setup.

Since it is a package, I know how to install the packaged, which NODE
would it be located under?

* Re: Moving forward from cygwinports
@ 2017-04-04 18:56         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-04-04 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-04-04 12:06, Vince Rice wrote:
>>> I know that Cygwin and Cygport are not the same.
>>> I was asking if you could perhaps share information on how to
>>> properly install Cygport.
>>> I downloaded it from here.
>>> https://github.com/cygwinports/cygport
>>> In the Cygwin, it had a Windows 32 or 64-bit installer.
>>> This does not come with such.
> You didn't have to download it from anywhere. Cygport is a Cygwin
> package, it can/should be installed from Cygwin's setup.

Also calm if you want to maintain local or ports repos and install with
setup.

* Re: Moving forward from cygwinports
@ 2017-04-04 18:59           ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-04-04 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-04-04 12:46, Wayne Barron wrote:
> Took care of that issue with the Quoted text, using GMail. So all
> should be good with that now.
> Thanks, Vince. For the heads up.
>> Cygport is a Cygwin package, it can/should be installed from
>> Cygwin's setup.
> Since it is a package, I know how to install the packaged, which
> NODE would it be located under?

Category devel, or select Not Installed, and Search for cygport
(and calm?)

* Re: Moving forward from cygwinports
@ 2017-04-04 19:21             ` Wayne Barron
From: Wayne Barron @ 2017-04-04 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Inglis, cygwin

> Category devel, or select Not Installed, and Search for cygport
> (and calm?)

I am installing it right now.
What is (Calm)?

* Re: Moving forward from cygwinports
@ 2017-04-04 19:33               ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-04-04 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/04/2017 21:20, Wayne Barron wrote:
>> Category devel, or select Not Installed, and Search for cygport
>> (and calm?)
>>
> I am installing it right now.
> What is (Calm)?

python programs used on cygwin.com to properly
build the setup.ini for the repository.
It can be used for local repository.

It replaces a previous system called "upset"

https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00000.html

Regards
Marco

* Re: Moving forward from cygwinports
@ 2017-04-04 19:38                 ` Wayne Barron
From: Wayne Barron @ 2017-04-04 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> python programs used on cygwin.com to properly
> build the setup.ini for the repository.
> It can be used for local repository.
>
> It replaces a previous system called "upset"
>
> https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00000.html
>
> Regards
> Marco
OK, it shows it as [Keep]
So, I am assuming that it is installed.

Now, I just need to get information on installing LiquidSoap through Windows.