* Setup installed to c:/cygwin/usr/bin
@ 2002-11-15  8:29 Norton Allen
From: Norton Allen @ 2002-11-15  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have spent some time looking for a reference to this problem, but have not
come across it.

OS: Win2K
Installed cygwin via setup (both download and install), pretty much accepted the
defaults. Installed to C:\cygwin. Worked well.

Returned a few weeks later to add a few more packages. Setup appeared
to work well, but the new packages did not appear in /bin. Upon investigation,
I located the files in C:\cygwin\usr\bin. I moved them into C:\cygwin\bin,
and things seem to be working OK.

Why did they go into C:\cygwin\usr\bin? The standard global mounts are
there under HKLM.

Below is a portion of setup.log.full showing the installation of the man package.
What's with the '///'?

Norton Allen

2002/11/14 19:51:20 Installing file://C:\home\nort-root\My
Documents\cygpkg/ftp%3a%2f%2fplanetmirror.com%2fpub%2fsourceware%2fcygwi
n/release/man/man-1.5g-2.tar.gz
For filefile://C:\home\nort-root\My
Documents\cygpkg/ftp%3a%2f%2fplanetmirror.com%2fpub%2fsourceware%2fcygwi
n/release/man/man-1.5g-2.tar.gz ini digest iscc4e32fd649ff255ddd2fe2b4591a002 file
digest is cc4e32fd649ff255ddd2fe2b4591a002
Installing file cygfile:///usr/
Installing file cygfile:///usr/bin/
Installing file cygfile:///usr/bin/apropos
Installing file cygfile:///usr/bin/man.exe
Installing file cygfile:///usr/bin/man2html.exe
Installing file cygfile:///usr/bin/whatis
Installing file cygfile:///usr/lib/
Installing file cygfile:///usr/lib/man.conf
Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/
Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man1/
Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man1/apropos.1
Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man1/man.1
Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man1/man2html.1
Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man1/whatis.1
Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man5/
Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man5/man.conf.5
Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man8/
Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man8/makewhatis.8
Installing file cygfile:///usr/sbin/
Installing file cygfile:///usr/sbin/makewhatis
compress::~compress called
compress::~compress called
2002/11/14 19:51:27 mbox note: Installation Complete
2002/11/14 19:51:28 Ending cygwin install

* Re: Setup installed to c:/cygwin/usr/bin
@ 2002-11-15  8:50 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-11-15  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norton Allen; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Norton Allen wrote:

> I have spent some time looking for a reference to this problem, but have not
> come across it.
>
> OS: Win2K
> Installed cygwin via setup (both download and install), pretty much accepted the
> defaults. Installed to C:\cygwin. Worked well.
>
> Returned a few weeks later to add a few more packages. Setup appeared
> to work well, but the new packages did not appear in /bin. Upon investigation,
> I located the files in C:\cygwin\usr\bin. I moved them into C:\cygwin\bin,
> and things seem to be working OK.
>
> Why did they go into C:\cygwin\usr\bin? The standard global mounts are
> there under HKLM.
>
> Below is a portion of setup.log.full showing the installation of the man package.
> What's with the '///'?
>
> Norton Allen
>
> 2002/11/14 19:51:20 Installing file://C:\home\nort-root\My
> Documents\cygpkg/ftp%3a%2f%2fplanetmirror.com%2fpub%2fsourceware%2fcygwi
> n/release/man/man-1.5g-2.tar.gz
> For filefile://C:\home\nort-root\My
> Documents\cygpkg/ftp%3a%2f%2fplanetmirror.com%2fpub%2fsourceware%2fcygwi
> n/release/man/man-1.5g-2.tar.gz ini digest iscc4e32fd649ff255ddd2fe2b4591a002 file
> digest is cc4e32fd649ff255ddd2fe2b4591a002
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/bin/
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/bin/apropos
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/bin/man.exe
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/bin/man2html.exe
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/bin/whatis
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/lib/
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/lib/man.conf
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man1/
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man1/apropos.1
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man1/man.1
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man1/man2html.1
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man1/whatis.1
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man5/
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man5/man.conf.5
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man8/
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/man/man8/makewhatis.8
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/sbin/
> Installing file cygfile:///usr/sbin/makewhatis
> compress::~compress called
> compress::~compress called
> 2002/11/14 19:51:27 mbox note: Installation Complete
> 2002/11/14 19:51:28 Ending cygwin install

The above is standard setup behavior.  Setup simply unpacks the files from
a package to the directories from which they have been packaged.  It also
reads the mount table and resolves directory references (cygfile:// is
setup's way of indicating the file is in the cygwin posix directory tree,
the third '/' is actually the root directory).

In your case, setup doesn't seem to resolve /usr/bin to c:\cygwin\bin (a
standard mount).  Please post the output of mount to the list.

Also, if your mounts turn out to be user mounts, make sure you ran setup
as the same user that you have cygwin installed for.  Or, better yet,
remount all standard mounts as system mounts.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51

* Re: Setup installed to c:/cygwin/usr/bin
@ 2002-11-15  9:44   ` Norton Allen
From: Norton Allen @ 2002-11-15  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 15 Nov 2002 at 11:37, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> The above is standard setup behavior.  Setup simply unpacks the files
> from a package to the directories from which they have been packaged.
> It also reads the mount table and resolves directory references
> (cygfile:// is setup's way of indicating the file is in the cygwin
> posix directory tree, the third '/' is actually the root directory).
>
> In your case, setup doesn't seem to resolve /usr/bin to c:\cygwin\bin
> (a standard mount).  Please post the output of mount to the list.

  C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
  C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
  C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
  c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
  d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
  i: on /cygdrive/i type user (binmode,noumount)
  k: on /cygdrive/k type user (binmode,noumount)
  l: on /cygdrive/l type user (binmode,noumount)
  n: on /cygdrive/n type user (binmode,noumount)
  o: on /cygdrive/o type user (binmode,noumount)
  p: on /cygdrive/p type user (binmode,noumount)
  q: on /cygdrive/q type user (binmode,noumount)
  s: on /cygdrive/s type user (binmode,noumount)
  x: on /cygdrive/x type user (binmode,noumount)
  y: on /cygdrive/y type user (binmode,noumount)
  z: on /cygdrive/z type user (binmode,noumount)

> Also, if your mounts turn out to be user mounts, make sure you ran
> setup as the same user that you have cygwin installed for.  Or, better
> yet, remount all standard mounts as system mounts.

It is possible that I was a logged in as a different user for the second install,
but it isn't clear how that would affect setup, since these are system mounts.

-Norton

* Re: Setup installed to c:/cygwin/usr/bin
@ 2002-11-15 10:37     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-11-15 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norton Allen; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Norton Allen wrote:

> On 15 Nov 2002 at 11:37, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > The above is standard setup behavior.  Setup simply unpacks the files
> > from a package to the directories from which they have been packaged.
> > It also reads the mount table and resolves directory references
> > (cygfile:// is setup's way of indicating the file is in the cygwin
> > posix directory tree, the third '/' is actually the root directory).
> >
> > In your case, setup doesn't seem to resolve /usr/bin to c:\cygwin\bin
> > (a standard mount).  Please post the output of mount to the list.
>
>   C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
>   C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
>   C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
>   c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
>   d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
>   i: on /cygdrive/i type user (binmode,noumount)
>   k: on /cygdrive/k type user (binmode,noumount)
>   l: on /cygdrive/l type user (binmode,noumount)
>   n: on /cygdrive/n type user (binmode,noumount)
>   o: on /cygdrive/o type user (binmode,noumount)
>   p: on /cygdrive/p type user (binmode,noumount)
>   q: on /cygdrive/q type user (binmode,noumount)
>   s: on /cygdrive/s type user (binmode,noumount)
>   x: on /cygdrive/x type user (binmode,noumount)
>   y: on /cygdrive/y type user (binmode,noumount)
>   z: on /cygdrive/z type user (binmode,noumount)
>
> > Also, if your mounts turn out to be user mounts, make sure you ran
> > setup as the same user that you have cygwin installed for.  Or, better
> > yet, remount all standard mounts as system mounts.
>
> It is possible that I was a logged in as a different user for the second
> install, but it isn't clear how that would affect setup, since these are
> system mounts.
>
> -Norton

Just a WAG, but does that other user have user mounts that maybe override
the system ones?  Try rerunning setup as the same user that did the first
install, and reinstall, say, the 'man' package.  See if it works for that
user...

I'm assuming, of course, that you ran 'mount' as the original installing
user.
	Igor
--

@ 2002-11-15 10:48       ` Norton Allen
From: Norton Allen @ 2002-11-15 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Norton Allen wrote:
> > It is possible that I was a logged in as a different user for the second
> > install, but it isn't clear how that would affect setup, since these are
> > system mounts.
>
> Just a WAG, but does that other user have user mounts that maybe override
> the system ones?  Try rerunning setup as the same user that did the first
> install, and reinstall, say, the 'man' package.  See if it works for that
> user...

  The other user does not have any other user mounts, so that's not
  it, but I do find that this state of events is reproducable and
  is not a problem for the original installer, but is a problem for
  another user installing additional packages. (i.e. I reinstalled
  man twice, once as the original installer and once as the other
  user. The first did what it was supposed to do, the second
  apparently ignored the system mounts).

> I'm assuming, of course, that you ran 'mount' as the original installing
> user.

  I never explicitly ran mount. Presumably it was run by setup
  during the original install.

   -Norton

* Re: Setup installed to c:/cygwin/usr/bin
@ 2002-11-15 12:00         ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-11-15 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norton Allen; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Norton Allen wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Norton Allen wrote:
> > > It is possible that I was a logged in as a different user for the second
> > > install, but it isn't clear how that would affect setup, since these are
> > > system mounts.
> >
> > Just a WAG, but does that other user have user mounts that maybe override
> > the system ones?  Try rerunning setup as the same user that did the first
> > install, and reinstall, say, the 'man' package.  See if it works for that
> > user...
>
>   The other user does not have any other user mounts, so that's not
>   it, but I do find that this state of events is reproducable and
>   is not a problem for the original installer, but is a problem for
>   another user installing additional packages. (i.e. I reinstalled
>   man twice, once as the original installer and once as the other
>   user. The first did what it was supposed to do, the second
>   apparently ignored the system mounts).

Hmm, don't know if there is a way in NT to restrict access to HKLM
registry entries, but it certainly sounds like the second user doesn't see
these entries...  This might not matter, but is either of them a domain
user, by any chance?

> > I'm assuming, of course, that you ran 'mount' as the original installing
> > user.
>
>   I never explicitly ran mount. Presumably it was run by setup
>   during the original install.
>    -Norton

I meant the 'mount' the output of which you posted to the list.  It would
be interesting to see the output of 'mount' run by the second user as
well.
	Igor
--

@ 2002-11-15 12:02           ` Norton Allen
From: Norton Allen @ 2002-11-15 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> Hmm, don't know if there is a way in NT to restrict access to HKLM
> registry entries, but it certainly sounds like the second user doesn't see
> these entries...  This might not matter, but is either of them a domain
> user, by any chance?
>
> > > I'm assuming, of course, that you ran 'mount' as the original installing
> > > user.
> >
> >   I never explicitly ran mount. Presumably it was run by setup
> >   during the original install.
> >    -Norton
>
> I meant the 'mount' the output of which you posted to the list.  It would
> be interesting to see the output of 'mount' run by the second user as
> well.

  The mount output I posted was for the second user (not the
  original installer), but the mount output for the original
  installer looks identical. Neither is a domain user.

  I just noticed that the original installer does not have
  any entry for Cygwin under HKEY_USERS whereas the other
  user does. Curious.
    -Norton

* Re: Setup installed to c:/cygwin/usr/bin
@ 2002-11-15 12:23             ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-11-15 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norton Allen; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Norton Allen wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > Hmm, don't know if there is a way in NT to restrict access to HKLM
> > registry entries, but it certainly sounds like the second user doesn't see
> > these entries...  This might not matter, but is either of them a domain
> > user, by any chance?

> > >   I never explicitly ran mount. Presumably it was run by setup
> > >   during the original install.
> > >    -Norton
> >
> > I meant the 'mount' the output of which you posted to the list.  It would
> > be interesting to see the output of 'mount' run by the second user as
> > well.
>
>   The mount output I posted was for the second user (not the
>   original installer), but the mount output for the original
>   installer looks identical. Neither is a domain user.
>
>   I just noticed that the original installer does not have
>   any entry for Cygwin under HKEY_USERS whereas the other
>   user does. Curious.
>     -Norton

Ah, there's your problem!  This was the guess I expressed two messages
ago:

> Just a WAG, but does that other user have user mounts that maybe
> override the system ones?

If the output of mount is identical, then there may be a bug in mount
processing, as user mounts should take precedence over system ones.  In
any case, it looks like setup and cygwin view user and system mounts with
different precedences.  Anyone care to comment on that?
	Igor
--

@ 2002-11-15 12:47               ` Norton Allen
From: Norton Allen @ 2002-11-15 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Norton Allen wrote:
> >   I just noticed that the original installer does not have
> >   any entry for Cygwin under HKEY_USERS whereas the other
> >   user does. Curious.
> >     -Norton
>
> Ah, there's your problem!  This was the guess I expressed two messages
> ago:

  Right, but the output of mount claims this has no effect on
  the actual mounts. And certainly as the other user (that
  has an HKEY_USERS entry) I certainly see /bin and /usr/bin
  as the same directory, and I don't see what is in
  c:\cygwin\usr\bin at all. [These points are not a contradicition
  to what you're saying, just reiterating the facts.]

> > Just a WAG, but does that other user have user mounts that maybe
> > override the system ones?
>
> If the output of mount is identical, then there may be a bug in mount
> processing, as user mounts should take precedence over system ones.  In
> any case, it looks like setup and cygwin view user and system mounts with
> different precedences.  Anyone care to comment on that?

  I would agree with that. It appears to me that setup fails to see
  the system mounts that cygwin sees. -Norton

* Re: Setup installed to c:/cygwin/usr/bin
@ 2002-11-21  5:37                 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-11-21  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norton Allen; +Cc: cygwin