* race issue on configure
@ 2017-01-10 10:24 Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-01-10 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I am noticing race problems during configure tests, on
both 32 and 64 bit builds.
The effect is a random failing test as conftest.exe can not be access
by the linker.

gcc -o conftest.exe -ggdb -O2 -pipe -Wimplicit-function-declarat
ion
-fdebug-prefix-map=/pub/devel/mutt/prova/mutt-1.7.2-1.i686/build=/usr/src/debug/mutt-1.7.2-1
-fdebug-prefix-map=/pub/devel/mutt/prova/mutt-1.7.2-1.i686/src/mutt-1.7.2=/usr/src/debug/mutt-1.7.2-1
   conftest.c -lslang -lm  >&5
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/5.4.0/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
cannot open
  output file conftest.exe: Permission denied

The workaround is to remove "-pipe" before calling configure
from cygport defaults.

         CFLAGS="-ggdb -O2 -Wimplicit-function-declaration"
         CXXFLAGS="-ggdb -O2 "
         cygconf

Anyone seeing the same ?
Otherwise is a new effect from Symantec, I guess.

Regards
Marco

* Re: race issue on configure
@ 2017-01-10 13:56 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-01-10 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/10/2017 5:24 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am noticing race problems during configure tests, on
> both 32 and 64 bit builds.
> The effect is a random failing test as conftest.exe can not be access
> by the linker.

This is caused by your AV scanning the recently created conftest.exe and
the fact that since the AV has it open it cannot be deleted and a new
one created.  Instruct your AV to ignore your work directlry.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: race issue on configure
@ 2017-01-10 14:03   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-01-10 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/01/2017 14:55, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 1/10/2017 5:24 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am noticing race problems during configure tests, on
>> both 32 and 64 bit builds.
>> The effect is a random failing test as conftest.exe can not be access
>> by the linker.
>>

> This is caused by your AV scanning the recently created conftest.exe and
> the fact that since the AV has it open it cannot be deleted and a new
> one created.  Instruct your AV to ignore your work directlry.

It is instructed to do so by long time within the limit of
corporate settings...

Regards
Marco

* Re: race issue on configure
@ 2017-01-10 14:07     ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-01-10 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/10/2017 9:02 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 10/01/2017 14:55, cyg Simple wrote:
>> On 1/10/2017 5:24 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am noticing race problems during configure tests, on
>>> both 32 and 64 bit builds.
>>> The effect is a random failing test as conftest.exe can not be access
>>> by the linker.
>>>

>> This is caused by your AV scanning the recently created conftest.exe and
>> the fact that since the AV has it open it cannot be deleted and a new
>> one created.  Instruct your AV to ignore your work directlry.
>

> It is instructed to do so by long time within the limit of
> corporate settings...

Maybe new policy enforcement by corporate.  The only time I've seen this
issue is related to AV having the conftest.exe file open.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: race issue on configure
@ 2017-01-10 20:44       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-01-10 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-01-10 07:07, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 1/10/2017 9:02 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>> This is caused by your AV scanning the recently created
>>> conftest.exe and the fact that since the AV has it open it cannot
>>> be deleted and a new one created. Instruct your AV to ignore your
>>> work directory.
>> It is instructed to do so by long time within the limit of
>> corporate settings...
> Maybe new policy enforcement by corporate. The only time I've seen
> this issue is related to AV having the conftest.exe file open.

May also be opened by background Windows Search/Cortana/... for
indexing and/or that may be causing it to be rescanned - I had
similar problems solved after disabling those search services.

Run Resource Monitor from bottom of Task Manager/Performance tab
and watch Disk Activity pane ordered by File for interfering
processes, and kill them if safe, disable if standalone service.

If it's svchost or AV process, search if you can bypass or
disable those actions or directories, or request a custom policy
for your userid or systems as it's interfering with work.

Security interfering with work tends to get fixed to allow work
to be done: a lot of security policies interfere with development
work, and have to be bypassed.
It would be better and easier for all if they packaged the
security policy bypasses with the development tool installs.
I've had to jump thru a few corporate hoops to keep things kosher
and simplify updates and use: it's often easy these days for
developers to add zero cost, email/web supported packages to
corporate tracking systems with yourself as in-house support:
YMMV. ;^>