* ConTeXt no longer available on Cygwin
@ 2023-03-22 16:56 Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-03-22 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

As I mentioned in the announcement of TeX Live 2023, there has been a
major change in ConTeXt; see

   https://tug.org/texlive/bugs.html

Briefly, ConTeXt development has been moved out of TeX Live into a
separate project.  Unfortunately, the maintainer of that project decided
to remove Cygwin support, so I cannot easily provide a context binary.
One Cygwin user of ConTeXt complained upstream, to no avail.

At some point I will probably remove the texlive-collection-context
package, which is now useless.  But I am waiting to see how other
distros are going to deal with this change.

If you will be greatly inconvenienced by the absence of a context
binary, please let me know by replying to this message.  There may or
may not be anything I can do about it.

Ken

* Re: ConTeXt no longer available on Cygwin
@ 2023-03-24 15:00 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-03-24 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/22/2023 12:56 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
> As I mentioned in the announcement of TeX Live 2023, there has been a
> major change in ConTeXt; see
>
>    https://tug.org/texlive/bugs.html
>
> Briefly, ConTeXt development has been moved out of TeX Live into a
> separate project.  Unfortunately, the maintainer of that project decided
> to remove Cygwin support, so I cannot easily provide a context binary.
> One Cygwin user of ConTeXt complained upstream, to no avail.
>
> At some point I will probably remove the texlive-collection-context
> package, which is now useless.  But I am waiting to see how other
> distros are going to deal with this change.
>
> If you will be greatly inconvenienced by the absence of a context
> binary, please let me know by replying to this message.  There may or
> may not be anything I can do about it.

This turned out to be simple to fix.  I will do that shortly, but first
I want to finish discussing this with TeX Live maintainers for other
distros.

@ 2023-04-16  1:40   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-04-16  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/24/2023 11:00 AM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
> On 3/22/2023 12:56 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
>> As I mentioned in the announcement of TeX Live 2023, there has been a
>> major change in ConTeXt; see
>>
>>    https://tug.org/texlive/bugs.html
>>
>> Briefly, ConTeXt development has been moved out of TeX Live into a
>> separate project.  Unfortunately, the maintainer of that project
>> decided to remove Cygwin support, so I cannot easily provide a context
>> binary. One Cygwin user of ConTeXt complained upstream, to no avail.
>>
>> At some point I will probably remove the texlive-collection-context
>> package, which is now useless.  But I am waiting to see how other
>> distros are going to deal with this change.
>>
>> If you will be greatly inconvenienced by the absence of a context
>> binary, please let me know by replying to this message.  There may or
>> may not be anything I can do about it.
>
> This turned out to be simple to fix.  I will do that shortly, but first
> I want to finish discussing this with TeX Live maintainers for other
> distros.

I've now uploaded texlive-collection-context-20230313-2, containing the
missing binary.

Ken