* bug in cygcheck -- claims missing files, but files are not missing.
@ 2017-04-15 15:26 L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2017-04-15 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am trying to update my cygwin installation --

I seem to be missing some files, but am not sure, as cygcheck
seems to be broken.

I generated a dump using cygcheck -vs, and it claims
may files are missing:

Missing directory: /usr/share/doc/ from package afio
Missing directory: /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5/ from package afio
Missing file: /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5/ANNOUNCE-2.5 from package afio
Missing file: /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5/HISTORY from package afio
Missing file: /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5/README from package afio
Missing file: /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5/SCRIPTS from package afio

But when I look for them, they are not:

/usr>  ll /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5
total 48
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1  1634 Feb 19  2008 ANNOUNCE-2.5*
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 33879 Feb 19  2008 HISTORY*
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1  3116 Feb 19  2008 README*
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1  2179 Feb 19  2008 SCRIPTS*
drwxrwxr-x+ 1     0 Dec 13  2009 examples/

Any idea how to figure out what cygcheck is doing?

thanks!

* Re: bug in cygcheck -- claims missing files, but files are not missing.
@ 2017-04-15 16:55 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-04-15 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh, cygwin

Greetings, L A Walsh!

> I am trying to update my cygwin installation --

> I seem to be missing some files, but am not sure, as cygcheck
> seems to be broken.

> I generated a dump using cygcheck -vs, and it claims
> may files are missing:

> Missing directory: /usr/share/doc/ from package afio
> Missing directory: /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5/ from package afio
> Missing file: /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5/ANNOUNCE-2.5 from package afio
> Missing file: /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5/HISTORY from package afio
> Missing file: /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5/README from package afio
> Missing file: /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5/SCRIPTS from package afio

> But when I look for them, they are not:

> /usr>  ll /usr/share/doc/afio-2.5
> total 48
> -rwxrwxr-x+ 1  1634 Feb 19  2008 ANNOUNCE-2.5*
> -rwxrwxr-x+ 1 33879 Feb 19  2008 HISTORY*
> -rwxrwxr-x+ 1  3116 Feb 19  2008 README*
> -rwxrwxr-x+ 1  2179 Feb 19  2008 SCRIPTS*
> drwxrwxr-x+ 1     0 Dec 13  2009 examples/

> Any idea how to figure out what cygcheck is doing?

How did you invoke cygcheck?
I've seen similar behavior when invoking it as /usr/bin/cygcheck outside the
Cygwin environment.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: bug in cygcheck -- claims missing files, but files are not missing.
@ 2017-04-15 17:27   ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2017-04-15 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, L A Walsh!
Hi Andrey Repin! ;-)

>> Any idea how to figure out what cygcheck is doing?
>
> How did you invoke cygcheck?
> I've seen similar behavior when invoking it as /usr/bin/cygcheck outside the
> Cygwin environment.
----

I invoked it from bash at the same place I typed 'll' (ls -l).

It's very confusing -- have run it more than once, since
I do have some missing files, but not the number of
files cygcheck lists.

Thanks...
-linda

* Re: bug in cygcheck -- claims missing files, but files are not missing.
@ 2017-04-17 17:10     ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2017-04-17 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

L A Walsh wrote:
> Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, L A Walsh!
> Hi Andrey Repin! ;-)
>>> Any idea how to figure out what cygcheck is doing?
>>
>> How did you invoke cygcheck?
>> I've seen similar behavior when invoking it as /usr/bin/cygcheck
>> outside the Cygwin environment.
> ----
>
> I invoked it from bash at the same place I typed 'll' (ls -l).
>
> It's very confusing -- have run it more than once, since
> I do have some missing files, but not the number of
> files cygcheck lists.
> Thanks...
---
    I think I may be on the path to sorting this out... it seemed to be
looking in another directory created by the install process (vs.
the previously existing one, which it ignored), having to do
with the old path being valid by using Windows-soft-mounts (junctions),
and cygwin overwriting/deleting them because cygwin conflates
junctions and symlinks and treats them the same, losing any
windows-configuration difference.

Usually it's not so much of a problem, as I haven't upgraded my
cygwin SW for some time.  But I forgot how much of a pain it is
because it messes things up every time I run setup (sigh).

It's hard to get the SW installed in the right place when it
keeps overwriting soft-mounts.

* Re: bug in cygcheck -- claims missing files, but files are not missing.
@ 2017-04-18  9:26       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-04-18  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh, cygwin

Greetings, L A Walsh!

> L A Walsh wrote:
>> Andrey Repin wrote:
>>> Greetings, L A Walsh!
>> Hi Andrey Repin! ;-)
>>>
>>> How did you invoke cygcheck?
>>> I've seen similar behavior when invoking it as /usr/bin/cygcheck
>>> outside the Cygwin environment.
>> ----
>>
>> I invoked it from bash at the same place I typed 'll' (ls -l).
>>
>> It's very confusing -- have run it more than once, since
>> I do have some missing files, but not the number of
>> files cygcheck lists.
>> Thanks...
> ---
>     I think I may be on the path to sorting this out... it seemed to be
> looking in another directory created by the install process (vs.
> the previously existing one, which it ignored), having to do
> with the old path being valid by using Windows-soft-mounts (junctions),
> and cygwin overwriting/deleting them because cygwin conflates
> junctions and symlinks and treats them the same, losing any
> windows-configuration difference.

> Usually it's not so much of a problem, as I haven't upgraded my
> cygwin SW for some time.  But I forgot how much of a pain it is
> because it messes things up every time I run setup (sigh).

> It's hard to get the SW installed in the right place when it
> keeps overwriting soft-mounts.

May be a zp_ (or 0p_) postinstall script could help?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...