* Re: python2-docutils (0.13.1-2 version) missing scripts
@ 2017-07-30 17:56 Daniel Fort
From: Daniel Fort @ 2017-07-30 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Seems like a pay Peter to pay Paul situation. I was hesitant to use
python3-docutils but it turns out that it doesn't force you into
python3. Why not just do a python-docutils package to avoid confusion?
Aren't they just scripts that can run under either version of python?

* Re: python2-docutils (0.13.1-2 version) missing scripts
@ 2017-07-30 19:54 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-30 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-07-28 17:55, Daniel Fort wrote:
> Seems like a pay Peter to pay Paul situation. I was hesitant to use
> python3-docutils but it turns out that it doesn't force you into
> python3. Why not just do a python-docutils package to avoid confusion?
> Aren't they just scripts that can run under either version of python?
Maybe? https://docs.python.org/3/howto/pyporting.html

* Re: python2-docutils (0.13.1-2 version) missing scripts
@ 2017-07-31  1:16 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-07-31  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/28/2017 7:55 PM, Daniel Fort wrote:
> Seems like a pay Peter to pay Paul situation. I was hesitant to use
> python3-docutils but it turns out that it doesn't force you into
> python3. Why not just do a python-docutils package to avoid confusion?
> Aren't they just scripts that can run under either version of python?

The scripts from python3-docutils have a shebang line that specifies
python3.  If you invoke them by name (as opposed to 'python <script
name>'), they will be run by python3.  It would be possible to package
both versions by including the python version as part of the name, as is
done with easy_install-2.7 and easy_install-3.6, for a good reason.  But
I'm not aware of any such good reason to go to that trouble for the
docutils scripts.

See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python#Avoiding_collisions_between_the_python_2_and_python_3_stacks
for a detailed discussion of how this issue is handled by Fedora.  In
particular:

"If the executables provide the same functionality independent of
whether they are run on top of Python 2 or Python 3, then only the
Python 3 version of the executable should be packaged.  Transitioning
from python2 to python3 is left to individual package maintainers...."

Ken

* Re: python2-docutils (0.13.1-2 version) missing scripts
@ 2017-07-22 15:16 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-07-22 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/20/2017 8:32 PM, Daniel Fort wrote:
> All of the scripts are missing from the June 19 update of
> python2-docutils (0.13.1-2 version).

In the 0.13.1-1 release, the scripts were in python2-docutils but not
python3-docutils.  (They can't be in both with the same names.)  Yaakov
obviously decided to move them to python3-docutils for the 0.13.1-2
release.  He can explain the rationale if he wants, but why don't you
just install python3-docutils?  Is there some reason this doesn't work
for you?

Ken

* python2-docutils (0.13.1-2 version) missing scripts
@ 2017-07-21  1:01 Daniel Fort
From: Daniel Fort @ 2017-07-21  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello Cygwin list,

All of the scripts are missing from the June 19 update of
python2-docutils (0.13.1-2 version).

Just a reminder--this was reported a while back but it is still in the
same state.

You can still go back one version on the Cygwin installer to the
0.13.1-1 version  that works fine or switch to python 3 but the
default behavior of the installer is to upgrade you to the latest,
broken, 0.13.1-2 version of python2-docutils.