* xemacs crashes with SIGSEGV after update
@ 2015-04-09 13:56 Siegmar Gross
From: Siegmar Gross @ 2015-04-09 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

today I updated all packages of my 32-Bit Cygwin installation (installed
on top of Windows 7). After that xemacs crashed if I tried to open a
file. Therefore I reinstalled the older version xemacs-21.4.23.1.
Unfortunately the older version crashes as well. I can start xemacs
without command line arguments.

hermes x 3 xemacs &
[1] 4908
hermes x 4

It crashes if I try to open a file with <Ctrl-x><Ctrl-f> or if I start
xemacs with a filename as command line argument.

hermes x 4
Fatal error (11).

Your files have been auto-saved.
Use `M-x recover-session' to recover them.

Your version of XEmacs was distributed with a PROBLEMS file that  may describe
your crash, and with luck a workaround.  Please check it first, but do report
the crash anyway.  Please report this bug by invoking M-x report-emacs-bug,
or by selecting `Send Bug Report' from the Help menu.  If necessary, send
ordinary email to `xemacs-beta@xemacs.org'.  *MAKE SURE* to include the XEmacs
configuration from M-x describe-installation, or equivalently the file
Installation in the top of the build tree.

*Please* try *hard* to obtain a C stack backtrace; without it, we are unlikely
to be able to analyze the problem.  Locate the core file produced as a result
of this crash (often called `core' or `core.<process-id>', and located in
the directory in which you started XEmacs or your home directory), and type

  gdb /usr/bin/xemacs core

then type `where' at the debugger prompt.  No GDB on your system?  You may
have DBX, or XDB, or SDB.  (Ask your system administrator if you need help.)
If no core file was produced, enable them (often with `ulimit -c unlimited'
in case of future recurrance of the crash.

Lisp backtrace follows:

  dispatch-non-command-events()
  # (condition-case ... . ((nil)))
  progress-feedback-dispatch-non-command-events()
  # bind (tmsg top frame value message label)
  append-progress-feedback(font-lock "Fontifying .cshrc..." 0 nil)
  # bind (frame value message label)
  display-progress-feedback(font-lock "Fontifying .cshrc..." 0)
  # bind (str)
  # (unwind-protect ...)
  # bind (args value fmt label)
  progress-feedback-with-label(font-lock "Fontifying %s..." 0 ".cshrc")
  # bind (maybe-loudly end beg)
  font-lock-default-unfontify-region(1 7926 t)
  # bind (loudly end beg)
  font-lock-unfontify-region(1 7926 t)
  # bind (was-on font-lock-verbose font-lock-message-threshold aborted)
  # (unwind-protect ...)
  font-lock-default-fontify-buffer()
  # bind (font-lock-verbose)
  font-lock-fontify-buffer()
  # bind (on-p maximum-size arg)
  font-lock-mode(1)
  turn-on-font-lock()
  # bind (explicit-defaults)
  font-lock-set-defaults()
  run-hooks(font-lock-set-defaults)
  # bind (nomodes after-find-file-from-revert-buffer noauto warn error)
  after-find-file(nil t)
  byte-code("..." [buffer-file-number number truename buffer-file-truename buf buffer-file-name
set-buffer-major-mode erase-buffer nil (byte-code "\b«§Â	Ã\"¨ª¥Ä	Ã\"¨Â§" [rawfile filename
insert-file-contents-literally t insert-file-contents] 3) ((file-error ...)) abbreviate-file-name
file-name-directory make-local-variable backup-inhibited t after-find-file find-file-use-truenames default-directory
backup-enable-predicate rawfile error nowarn] 3)
  # (condition-case ... . ((t (byte-code "Â\b!¨Ã	@	A\"§" ... 3))))
  # (unwind-protect ...)
  # bind (error number truename buf rawfile nowarn filename)
  find-file-noselect("/cygdrive/d/gross/skripte/Cygwin/cygwin_1.7/x/.cshrc")
  # bind (codesys filename)
  find-file("/cygdrive/d/gross/skripte/Cygwin/cygwin_1.7/x/.cshrc")
  # bind (dir file-count line end-of-options file-p arg tem)
  command-line-1()
  # bind (command-line-args-left)
  command-line()
  # (condition-case ... . ((t (byte-code "	\x10Â§" ... 1))))
  # bind (error-data)
  normal-top-level()
  # (condition-case ... . error)
  # (catch top-level ...)

[1]    Segmentation fault            xemacs (core dumped)
hermes x 4

I didn't get a core dump but a stackdump.

hermes x 21 cat xemacs-21.4.23.exe.stackdump
Stack trace:
Frame     Function  Args
00289730  61030F12 (00000378, 0000EA60, 000000A4, 00289790)
00289850  610E514A (6119FE10, 00000000, 00289884, 00000000)
hermes x 22

Do you have an idea why I get a segmentation fault or do you know
which package I should replace with an older one to get a working
xemacs once more? Thank you very much for any help in advance.

Kind regards

Siegmar

* Re: xemacs crashes with SIGSEGV after update
@ 2015-04-09 14:45 ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2015-04-09 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    > Hi,
    > today I updated all packages of my 32-Bit Cygwin installation (installed
    > on top of Windows 7). After that xemacs crashed if I tried to open a
    > file. Therefore I reinstalled the older version xemacs-21.4.23.1.
    > Unfortunately the older version crashes as well. I can start xemacs
    > without command line arguments.

Try with

(setq progress-feedback-use-echo-area t)

in your .emacs/.xemacs

Ciao
  Volker

* Re: xemacs crashes with SIGSEGV after update
@ 2015-04-09 14:58 ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2015-04-09 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Siegmar Gross writes:

> today I updated all packages of my 32-Bit Cygwin installation (installed
> on top of Windows 7). After that xemacs crashed if I tried to open a
> file.

Can't reproduce.  Please follow the instructions at

  https://cygwin.com/problems.html

In particular

  Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an
  attachment in your report. Please do not compress or otherwise
  encode the output. Just attach it as a straight text file so that it
  can be easily viewed.

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk

* Re: xemacs crashes with SIGSEGV after update
@ 2015-04-09 15:20   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-04-09 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry S. Thompson, cygwin

Greetings, Henry S. Thompson!

>   Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an
>   attachment in your report. Please do not compress or otherwise
>   encode the output. Just attach it as a straight text file so that it
>   can be easily viewed.

I've tried to "not compress or otherwise encode" cygcheck output.
Never passed to the list. Guess it doesn't like cyrillic group names.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: xemacs crashes with SIGSEGV after update
@ 2015-04-09 17:40   ` Siegmar Gross
From: Siegmar Gross @ 2015-04-09 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Volker Zell" <dr.volker.zell@oracle.com

Hi,

>     > today I updated all packages of my 32-Bit Cygwin installation
> (installed
>     > on top of Windows 7). After that xemacs crashed if I tried to
> open a
>     > file. Therefore I reinstalled the older version
> xemacs-21.4.23.1.
>     > Unfortunately the older version crashes as well. I can start
> xemacs
>     > without command line arguments.
>
> Try with
>
> (setq progress-feedback-use-echo-area t)
>
> in your .emacs/.xemacs

Great! Your advise solved the problem. I added the command to
.xemacs/init.el and now everything works as before. Can you
explain why this command is necessary now and what it does?
Thank you very much for a short answer in advance.

Thank you very much for your help

@ 2015-04-09 19:06     ` Vin Shelton
From: Vin Shelton @ 2015-04-09 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Siegmar Gross writes:

>>     > today I updated all packages of my 32-Bit Cygwin installation
>> (installed
>>     > on top of Windows 7). After that xemacs crashed if I tried to
>> open a
>>     > file. Therefore I reinstalled the older version
>> xemacs-21.4.23.1.
>>     > Unfortunately the older version crashes as well. I can start
>> xemacs
>>     > without command line arguments.
>>
>> Try with
>>
>> (setq progress-feedback-use-echo-area t)
>>
>> in your .emacs/.xemacs
>
> Great! Your advise solved the problem. I added the command to
> .xemacs/init.el and now everything works as before. Can you
> explain why this command is necessary now and what it does?
> Thank you very much for a short answer in advance.

There's a fix for this in the 21.4.24 sources.  Volker - is there any
chance for an updated package?

  - Vin

* Re: xemacs crashes with SIGSEGV after update
@ 2015-04-10  6:09       ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2015-04-10  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    >>> (installed
    >>> open a
    >>> xemacs-21.4.23.1.
    >>> xemacs
    >>>
    >>> Try with
    >>>
    >>> (setq progress-feedback-use-echo-area t)
    >>>
    >>> in your .emacs/.xemacs
    >>
    >> Great! Your advise solved the problem. I added the command to
    >> .xemacs/init.el and now everything works as before. Can you
    >> explain why this command is necessary now and what it does?
    >> Thank you very much for a short answer in advance.

    > There's a fix for this in the 21.4.24 sources.  Volker - is there any
    > chance for an updated package?

Probably in 2 weeks from now...no time

    >   - Vin

Ciao