* setting up new PC under Windows 11?
@ 2022-02-17 23:20 Lester Ingber
From: Lester Ingber @ 2022-02-17 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just read in
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/02/new-preview-build-adds-microsoft-account-requirement-to-windows-11-pro/
that:
"But tucked away toward the bottom of the changelog is one unwelcome addition: like the Home edition of Windows 11, the Pro version will now require an Internet connection and a Microsoft account during setup.  In the current version of Windows 11, you could still create a local user account during setup by not connecting your PC to the Internet—something that also worked in the Home version of Windows 10 but was removed in 11. That workaround will no longer be available in either edition going forward, barring a change in Microsoft's plans.
For those who want to use a local account, the best solution is to create a burner Microsoft account for use during setup and then to either create a new local user account or sign out of your Microsoft account once the OS is up and running."

Since I have always relied on my same USERID to tar up and restore most
of my Cygwin info, I question how to do that going forward?  For
example, if I simply added a soft link under C:\Users\USERID_11 to my
current USERID, would that suffice?:
cd C:/Users/
ln -s USERID_11  USERID
would that work OK?

* Re: setting up new PC under Windows 11?
@ 2022-02-18  5:53 ` Russell VT
From: Russell VT @ 2022-02-18  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lester Ingber, cygwin

I believe all you need to do is to make sure your /etc/passwd file links
whatever account you want to use to the proper Cygwin UserID (ie. the one
listed in the tar file, if you want the "-p" flag to work in a
predictable fashion).

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 3:21 PM Lester Ingber via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> I just read in
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/02/new-preview-build-adds-microsoft-account-requirement-to-windows-11-pro/
> that:
> "But tucked away toward the bottom of the changelog is one unwelcome
> addition: like the Home edition of Windows 11, the Pro version will now
> require an Internet connection and a Microsoft account during setup.  In
> the current version of Windows 11, you could still create a local user
> account during setup by not connecting your PC to the Internet—something
> that also worked in the Home version of Windows 10 but was removed in 11.
> That workaround will no longer be available in either edition going
> forward, barring a change in Microsoft's plans.
> For those who want to use a local account, the best solution is to create
> a burner Microsoft account for use during setup and then to either create a
> new local user account or sign out of your Microsoft account once the OS is
> up and running."
>
> Since I have always relied on my same USERID to tar up and restore most
> of my Cygwin info, I question how to do that going forward?  For
> example, if I simply added a soft link under C:\Users\USERID_11 to my
> current USERID, would that suffice?:
> cd C:/Users/
> ln -s USERID_11  USERID
> would that work OK?
>

> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Russell M. Van Tassell <russellvt@gmail.com>

* Re: setting up new PC under Windows 11?
@ 2022-02-18  6:14 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2022-02-18  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lester Ingber, cygwin

Greetings, Lester Ingber!

> Since I have always relied on my same USERID

Or user name?

> to tar up and restore most
> of my Cygwin info, I question how to do that going forward?  For
> example, if I simply added a soft link under C:\Users\USERID_11 to my
> current USERID, would that suffice?:
> cd C:/Users/
> ln -s USERID_11  USERID
> would that work OK?

And this is tangential question to both your first half of the message and the
username part. You can have your profile stored anywhere you desire,
especially if this is a completely new profile.

1. Create profile (by login, SIMPLE!)
2. Log out of your profile and login as Administrator.
3. Change profile location of your user to what you desire
(See HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList key)
4. Trash/rename your existing user's profile. If this is a new profile you
don't care about, just trash it and save yourself the time and effort.
5. Log out of Administrator account and login to your user's.
6. Disable Administrator's account.

Neither of this is on topic in this list.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...