* Re: setup.exe and mounting home directory in fstab
@ 2013-10-04 13:56 James R. Phillips
From: James R. Phillips @ 2013-10-04 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>I notice that every time I run setup.exe, my soft link gets removed and a new profile is created for me the next time I open a Cygwin terminal.

I can confirm a similar issue in setup-x86_64. However, the soft link for /home is not actually removed - it remains side-by-side with the new /home directory. The soft link was created using winsymlinks. This causes a cygwin terminal to ignore the previously created soft link and see a new empty user profile.

It seems to me that setup should not step on a user's existing system configuration in this way.

Regards

James R. Phillips

* Re: setup.exe and mounting home directory in fstab
@ 2013-09-20 23:26     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2013-09-20 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Young, cygwin

Greetings, Warren Young!

>>> My current solution is to just mount it in fstab with the following line:
>>>
>>>    c:/Users /home ntfs binary,posix=0,nouser
>>
>> Alternatively, you can set HOME in your
>> Windows environment to point to the directory you want as your home.

> Or, change the second-to-last item in /etc/passwd to something like
> /cygdrive/c/Users/rob.

> Remapping c:\Users to /home is obviously more scalable, but do you
> really have lots of local users on that box?

Have it or not, mapping /home to OS profiles folder is a right thing to do.
I understand, why it isn't done by default, but if you know, what you're doing
- why not? It's a quick and easy way to make a backup and transition of
personal settings a transparent and effortless process.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: setup.exe and mounting home directory in fstab
@ 2013-09-20  2:24   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2013-09-20  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2013-09-20  1:46 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2013-09-20  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/19/2013 12:16 PM, Rob Siklos wrote:
> Background:
>
> I wanted my /home directory to point to c:\Users rather than the
> out-of-the-box home directory created by cygwin.  In order to accomplish
> this, I deleted the existing home folder and created a soft link mapping
> /home to /cygdrive/c/Users.
>
> This works great, except that I notice that every time I run setup.exe, my
> soft link gets removed and a new profile is created for me the next time I
> open a Cygwin terminal.
>
> Every time this happens, I just delete the new /home folder and re-create
> the soft link.  However, this is getting annoying, so I'm looking for a
> different solution.
>
> My current solution is to just mount it in fstab with the following line:
>
>    c:/Users /home ntfs binary,posix=0,nouser
>
> This is working fine, but now I'm worried about what setup.exe will do to
> this folder the next time I update Cygwin.  Will it be safely left alone, or
> will my user profile get deleted?

'setup*.exe' won't change this.  Alternatively, you can set HOME in your
Windows environment to point to the directory you want as your home.
Either will work.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

[...]